C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 RestoMod – 52 week build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ricott
JM - sorry for the delay in replying to your question - I've been offline for several days. The steel rocker you saw is pop riveted from the factory to the fiberglass inner rocker and the door sill. It is also pop riveted at the front and back to other steel braces that are, in turn bolted to the frame at the body mount holes. I plan to use SEM glue and bolts to install the steel rocker to the fiberglass inner rocker. I will post pictures when I get back to the car - probably after MLK as I'm working with my son on a master bathroom gut at his house. Good luck with your project.

Ricky
I bonded and bolted mine as well. Rivets will eventually work themselves loose. I used Bac10 button heads screws. Left the head exposed,
once the bottom was sprayed with sound deadner. It filled in the head slots and looks like rivets.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:26 AM
dug224
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ricky: Still tagging along. Really enjoying your thorough attention to detail! dug
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Ricky,
Thanks for all of the updates on your project. I have picked up some great information on your build, like the little trick of placing the rear bumper brackets in the body before/during the body drop, that was one hell of a jig saw puzzle removing them with the body on!
It has been too long to remember which one of the three came out last as I suspect they will have to go back the same way........unless you remove the body THANKS again

Tell me about the front drive not clearing the body.

I am only using the power steering pump and alt. on the drivers side. I did change my pump pulley to a smaller dia. to clear the rack & P, where is the interference with the inner fenders?
My project is a 62 also but I am using a SRlll chassis & ls3

Please keep those letters coming !!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:45 AM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Ricky,
Thanks for all of the updates on your project. I have picked up some great information on your build, like the little trick of placing the rear bumper brackets in the body before/during the body drop, that was one hell of a jig saw puzzle removing them with the body on!
It has been too long to remember which one of the three came out last as I suspect they will have to go back the same way........unless you remove the body THANKS again

Tell me about the front drive not clearing the body.

I am only using the power steering pump and alt. on the drivers side. I did change my pump pulley to a smaller dia. to clear the rack & P, where is the interference with the inner fenders?
My project is a 62 also but I am using a SRlll chassis & ls3

Please keep those letters coming !!
My project has been stopped (unfortunately) since last December. Work has kept me on the road almost the entire year, at the expense of all the things I like to do in the garage. On a positive note, I have been acquiring parts and on Friday, December 22, I join the ranks of the retired. My wife has said she doesn't want me to do anything but work on the 58 until next September, so I hope to make major progress.

As to your question, if you are using the Holley (Corvette) style alternator bracket, the alternator will hit the inner fender. If you are using the Holley AC bracket, the AC unit will hit the Passenger side inner fender. I'm told the "Front Runner" system made by Vintage Air does not have these clearance issues, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money. I can post pictures when I get back to Memphis on Friday November 3 (I'm in New Orleans for work until then).
Old 10-27-2017, 10:59 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Please do and Thanks!
I don't remember which FED I bought
From what you said It looks like I will at least have to remove the Alt.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Please do and Thanks!
I don't remember which FED I bought
From what you said It looks like I will at least have to remove the Alt.
I went with vintage air front runner set up. I tried everything possible, using oem brackets and Holley stuff but all interfered with the body or chassis and i did not wanted to modify neither.
There are other front runner systems that will work that uses One long belt,I choose not to use them because others had issue with the long belt coming off and causing damage in the engine compartment.

Last edited by Dale002; 11-14-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 PM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

After a long slumber (approximately 3 years) I am back on this project. I built a detached 18 x 24 detached garage after I retired and now have the 58 and about a million parts that came in boxes when I bought this stalled project in 1986 scattered in my shop! I will post pictures in the next few days. Glad to be back on it and hope to drive it around the block by labor day.Ricky
The following 4 users liked this post by ricott:
Cruzmeisters (03-29-2020), dales 1959 vette (03-30-2020), Robert61 (03-29-2020), solidaxel (03-29-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 AM
hcallaway
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts
Default With killing time at work with little to do, it was great to read your thread.

Originally Posted by ricott
After a long slumber (approximately 3 years) I am back on this project. I built a detached 18 x 24 detached garage after I retired and now have the 58 and about a million parts that came in boxes when I bought this stalled project in 1986 scattered in my shop! I will post pictures in the next few days. Glad to be back on it and hope to drive it around the block by labor day.Ricky
I am glad I had the time to start from the beginning and follow your updates. I wonder how the others that were following along with you on similar projects have fared? Good luck and it is great you are getting back on the Vette.

Quick Reply: 1958 RestoMod – 52 week build