C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
66DCJR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Original motor on my 66 coupe does not effect how the side pipes sound and the CD player cranked up with Ronnie Spectra ! At 63 , I am not in a dress rehersal. Love cruzin with the the # 1 corvette body style of all times.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Interesting topic. I wanted a numbers matcher only because, if it is not, then its one stage below on the resale chart.
Now before the restomod peeps get upset, we are talking about an engine only. So If you were to place the non matching number car on the sale value ranking sheet its below a numbers matcher for sure. If you did not have to pay much of a difference then having the matching numbers engine is worth the investment.

I am what one would call ANTI-NCRS so I sit in the middle. I like cars that can be returned to original, but also enjoy my own thing and will not tolerate someone looking down at me for doing it. So I will have a bevy of parts that will ensure the car can be returned to original and will never be sold, but I will also have my "bling engine" and modern steering, and suspension.
I loved watching the fellow document the 67 Split window, and really envy people that can spend the time to do some of the amazing restomods I see here. I appreciate Corvettes, no matter what condition, or what stage of purity they are in. I must admit some of the early changes to C2s from the 70s do cause me too upchuck but I have to realize that was the "thing". **** Carpeting in a car was "like wow man"

I have no time for people that are critical of someone that wants to do something with "his or her car" just because they don't like the idea. So the numbers matching engine was only needed in my case because in 10-15 years perhaps its a huge selling feature....maybe not?? But as someone mentioned here, you really only get one shot at finding your true engine. (assuming someone has not done an excellent restamp and you do not know it)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Ron MN Blue
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my '67 in 1973. I hadn't heard of "numbers." When I did learn about the numbers I found none on the engine pad. After researching the car I talked to the original owner and the 427 had a "tick" from new and the block was replaced a short time after purchase. Do I wish it was correct? Sure, but I can't see the number pad from the driver's seat when I push the loud pedal. Some day my kids will have to deal with the "NOM" in my car. I love original, NOM, and resto mod Vettes, I guess all Corvettes.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
tjstarduster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "original engine"

If you did not buy the car new, how do you know it is "original"? I'm an NOM guy myself, mainly because I like to drive my car and occasionally "hammer" it. If it blows up, I'm not going to have a stroke!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackfit
Hi Dan,

I draw the line on numbers when it comes to some parts.

regulator correct cover, electronics inside (best upgrade ever)
Alternator, put one in that looks correct, but will run without problems
Starter, correct style but new
Water pump correct, just rebuild every few years
Pistons and cam lowered to 9+ and cam to match ,

But as said before, as long as you have an engine that runs and allows you to drive your car... great

I did pull the replacnment engine out and when with the restamp I would of left it alone but wanted bigger heads and a nice
cam so while I was at it thats what I choose to do .
. Had a non orginal horn on it they wanted 500 dollors for orginal I passed that up .plus I powercoated intake and jet hotted the exhaust i still will drive it hard and have lot of fun .

Jack

Last edited by rtruman; 01-08-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

most of the c1 motors were gone in 1st five years . i remember my uncles corvettes in 1967 all c1s and more then one had different motors ! the only ones that retained original were a 53 and a 60 . and in 1964 that motor was beat to **** ! my 61 has a 327 and i like it that way
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by mspry
It's your car, do what makes you happy and enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Interesting thread.

The motor on my '61 had been replaced in '72 by my father, who was the original owner. I remember as a 7 year old, helping him dig a hole in the cornfield next to our house to bury the original 283 block!

When I inherited the car, I had to decide whether to repair the LT-1 350 in the car, or go back to a "correct" 283.

Since I had no connection to the 283 whatsoever, I decided to fix the replacement motor, which had a lot of my dad's "handiwork" in and around it. It was much more valuable to me than matching an engine made before I was born.

When something serious breaks in the LT-1, I think I will go with a mild crate motor that is fuel injected, likes pump gas, electronic ignition, etc., etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled the original motor out of my '59 a week after I brought it home. Every part that came off the car that has a date or number on it is in a box and will go to the next owner. I don't know what he has in mind but I have at least given him options. I wanted my car to be a driver so I built a 350 from a empty '95 block with stock heads. It uses 87 pump gas and can run my Vintage Air without any problems. The 100 amp Alternator, MSD all in one distributor (which hides nicely under the shielding) , front disc brakes, clutch fan,aluminum water pump etc. don't harm the car and sure makes it safer and better to drive. I would have bought the car even if it had a replacement motor but since it was all original I think it best to preserve it for the future since I could. Save the Wave.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Really?...Some people dig original, others not so much. Does this thread have a point?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
Interesting thread.

The motor on my '61 had been replaced in '72 by my father, who was the original owner. I remember as a 7 year old, helping him dig a hole in the cornfield next to our house to bury the original 283 block!
Go back to the cornfield and dig that thing back up. Even if you don't use it, there's no debate about the impact on resale.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
McGivern
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends on what you want- Mine was gone in 1980 when I got my car. Three engines later and both me and the car could care less- we've both like each new engine better than the previous
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was an E-bay ad for a nice 64 black/black 2 top roadster a few months ago which the seller added a note stating: "I've taken many friends for a ride in this car. not a single one of them complained of the non original engine under the hood".

Pretty much says it all,
Russ
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

LAB that looks great, like everything belongs there vintage AC a real plus there, too. Nice job!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default The point of my thread. A little selfish.

Originally Posted by project63
Really?...Some people dig original, others not so much. Does this thread have a point?
I just wanted to see how many true enthusiast were still out there!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Nice, so now you've judged me based on whether or not I want an original engine in my car?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ya…. huummm. I don't think either group is more or less of an "enthusiast". Different sides of the same coin IMHO.

Russ

Get notified of new replies

To Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default No!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Nice, so now you've judged me based on whether or not I want an original engine in my car?
Enthusiast is a guy that wants a Corvette for a reason. The challenge of modifying it to his taste, the challenge of keeping a fun ride on the road, the challenge of putting it back together to taste (with or without numbers matching to a level of dreamed about perfection/concourse or based on lists of dream parts/modifications!). Most of the answers came from enthusiast and there were only a handful that seemed to be truly hung up on investment value. Thus it has been an enjoyable thread to read!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 01-08-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Really? Are you serious. So if I had those small little numbers stamped on my engine block I would earn a higher enthusiast rating in your book. Give me a break. I read your response and it appears you are now back tracking.

I have a very difficult time thinking guys that do full frame off restorations in their garage resto mod or otherwise non 100% factory builds like John Mcgraw is less of an enthusiast than someone who just writes a check for a true numbers matching car and drives it maybe twice a year.

This is why I build cars how I want, screw everyone else. If you like it great if not, no big deal just don't bitch about it because it is how YOU would have liked it done. Remember as stated previously the guy paying for the parts wins everytime. And people wonder why I don't go to car shows anymore.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
Really? Are you serious. So if I had those small little numbers stamped on my engine block I would earn a higher enthusiast rating in your book. Give me a break. I read your response and it appears you are now back tracking.
So that's why I heard what sounded like a truck backing up when I turned on my computer this morning.

Quick Reply: Who can care less about having their original engine? And Why?