C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-2 dash lights revisited

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Default C-2 dash lights revisited

I just installed the dash on my 65. New harness, bulbs, switch etc. OMG, the dash lights are very dim. I don't remember them being that dim in any other C-2 I've owned BUT my eyes were a lot younger then. I did a search and some were happy replacing the 1816 bulbs with 1817's. The trouble is, those have been discontinued, even through Atlanta Bulb Co. that was the only place left that had them.
Has anyone come up with an alternative bulb # or other solution?

Jim
Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I can't help with the replacements, but I can verify that the originals are very dim. It has to be pretty dark to even take advantage of having them on.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I have my dash out to fix the speedo . . . when I put it back together, I'm putting these in:

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...ge=description

. . . direct replacement, one-third brighter!

Tom
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Those are rated at .46 amps vs .33 for the 1816s, are you going to have to up the fuse a couple amps?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Have you checked your ground connections?

Also, have you checked the rheostat within the headlight switch?

The dash lights in my 63 are bright.....................

Something isn't right.

Chuck
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Funny - I don't remember dash lights being that dim back then either, but both my Corvette and my 67 GTX have restored instrument panels with new bulbs and I can barely read the gages in both of them. Beats me what has changed. I guess my eyes and memory.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Have you checked your ground connections?

Also, have you checked the rheostat within the headlight switch?

The dash lights in my 63 are bright.....................

Something isn't right.

Chuck
The bulbs are the same brightness whether they are installed in the dash or out of the car hooked directly to a battery. That eliminates a ground and rheostat issue. Since many have posted the same problem, and we're all getting older, maybe it's just my eyes or I'm used to my C-1 which has very bright dash lights.

Jim
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I repainted the green interior of my cluster with a brighter green, and installed the 1817 bulbs. No problem seeing things at night.

DansYellow66, I sent you an e-mail a while back about your GTX. Did you ever get it? Dennis

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 01-09-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
DansYellow66, I sent you an e-mail a while back about your GTX. Did you ever get it? Dennis
Dennis - no, I don't see it. My email is - dclem427@att.net - if all else fails.

Dan
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
The bulbs are the same brightness whether they are installed in the dash or out of the car hooked directly to a battery. That eliminates a ground and rheostat issue. Since many have posted the same problem, and we're all getting older, maybe it's just my eyes or I'm used to my C-1 which has very bright dash lights.

Jim
Jim

That's the problem, I know my dash lights look very dim, but to everone else they look bright. So, it must be my eyes, and getting older. It surely can't be my outlook on life...

Bruce
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StingU2
Jim

That's the problem, I know my dash lights look very dim, but to everone else they look bright. So, it must be my eyes, and getting older. It surely can't be my outlook on life...

Bruce
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Bruce. The picture of you in your avatar provides a clue to your problem. Are you wearing those sunglasses at night?
Seriously though, I decided not to worry about it. The dash is all back together and body off resto. will be finished in a week or so. Gotta find another project soon or I'll go crazy-er.

Jim
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Bruce. The picture of you in your avatar provides a clue to your problem. Are you wearing those sunglasses at night?
Seriously though, I decided not to worry about it. The dash is all back together and body off resto. will be finished in a week or so. Gotta find another project soon or I'll go crazy-er.

Jim
Jim

I just call that being normal...

Bruce
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Godholio
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For what it's worth, mine are dim as hell and I'm a bit younger than the average in here.

A brighter bulb would be nice, but on 40+ year old wiring I'm not putting a higher draw bulb in there (and there's NO WAY IN HELL I'm bumping up fuses to do so).
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Jim, is the battery you are using to test fully charged?? Maybe it's just me, but the bulbs (all new) in my 64 dash seem a tad brighter with the engine running but either way plenty bright to look at. I would also agree with you that the C-1 dash appears bighter than the C-2 (maybe due to the different bulbs). Pilot Dan
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Mine are dim too, even with the headlight relay conversion.

In fact they are so dim that when I threw the belt the other night, I couldn't see the temp gauge well enough to realize it pegged. Though it was probably a bit dimmer without the belt.

Thank whomever for iron heads and synthetic oil.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Jim, is the battery you are using to test fully charged?? Maybe it's just me, but the bulbs (all new) in my 64 dash seem a tad brighter with the engine running but either way plenty bright to look at. I would also agree with you that the C-1 dash appears bighter than the C-2 (maybe due to the different bulbs). Pilot Dan
The battery is not only fully charged, I hooked up a charger while checking things out so the actual voltage was about 14 volts. I haven't tried it with the engine running but I don't think it will make a noticeable difference. Oh well. I'll just live with it. I doubt I'll be doing much night driving anyway.

Jim
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

Yes. #1416. They're big, but they will fit in the openings for the cluster illumination bulbs. Available at a couple of places including www.bulbster.com.

You will have to put a 10 amp fuse in, but the wiring will hold up just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To C-2 dash lights revisited

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Dejavet
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I agree that the dash lights are too dim and I want a much brighter bulb. I have heard that there is an LED bulb that is 3 times brighter and will fit this socket. I have been researching this, but have not found such a bulb yet. I was at the SEMA show and saw such bulbs in car dashes on display. They were very bright and came in multiple colors. Unfortunately, they did not have a Corvette dash on display. Keep in mind that an LED bulb would draw less power, so no need to change any fuses. Does anyone know of such a bulb?

Dejavet
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 PM
cmb645
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dejavet
I agree that the dash lights are too dim and I want a much brighter bulb. I have heard that there is an LED bulb that is 3 times brighter and will fit this socket. I have been researching this, but have not found such a bulb yet. I was at the SEMA show and saw such bulbs in car dashes on display. They were very bright and came in multiple colors. Unfortunately, they did not have a Corvette dash on display. Keep in mind that an LED bulb would draw less power, so no need to change any fuses. Does anyone know of such a bulb?

Dejavet
I had the same problem and elected to install the BA9 type bulbs from ebay. They work great and the dash is much brighter.
charles, 66 vette
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dejavet

Dejavet
Super Brights has the LED bulbs to replace the 1816. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/ba9s-ba7s/ Charlie are you going to the car show at the Weston Town Center Saturday? I will have "Old Yeller" there around 11am. Stop by and say hello, if you go......Gary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C-2 dash lights revisited