C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do you ever work on modern cars, arg!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,717 Likes on 803 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I know the feeling. A couple years ago I changed out the blower drive pulley and sparkplugs on my supercharged Ford Lightning. It probably took me a full 6 hours to change out the plugs and my hands were like shreaded meat and my back was killing me afterwards. I had to work out so many rinky-dink socket, swivel, extension rigs to get to them changed that I thought I was back in tinker toys era. The little coil pack retaining bolts on the back cylinders were a nightmare. I finally had to tie them to my finger with thread because I knew if I dropped one I would never find it. After I finally managed to get them threaded I broke the thread. What an ordeal.

Also changed out the intake on a newer V-6 Buick - another lovely experience.
You were actually pretty lucky. Many of the Ford V8 plugs twist off in the spark plug wells when you attempt to remove them. That requires $1000 in special tools resulting in about $80 per hole for every plug seized in the well. Most people never think they would ever see a $900 spark plug change. We see this all the time at our shop. A bigger nightmare? Don't get me started on the Ford 6.0 Diesel.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with a little bit of what everyone said, but all things are relative. I bought my 02 Maxima new, and other than tires, brakes, a battery and belts, I have changed the plugs (thate's a pain), changed the radiator (easy), and now the alternator (two hour job and $200 bucks). During the 130K miles I've driven it, it is still fast, tight, quiet, gets 25 MPG, and can easily go another 100K. What would I have done to my new 65 Corvette in that amount of time? We forget how quickly our new cars back in the day got worn out, leaked oil, and blew smoke out the pipes. Convert those rebuilds/repairs to today's dollars and your not much better off.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The variable-speed electric water pump on the new BMW's is computer-controlled, and the replacement costs $2,800.00 (plus labor).
And my friends who own high end cars wonder why I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus that I inherited from father-in-law. We had an Audi in the shop the other day whose adjustable ride control had given up the ghost. $4,500 to fix the whole mess. $1,700 for the air compressor, alone.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 01-11-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Godholio
All I've had to do on the '12 Jeep is oil changes so far, but I think I'm going to buy a bluetooth OBDII scanner so I can track everything on my phone. That's actually a pretty neat capability.
This sounds like a really good idea, considering the cost and upgradability!!! Try ebay for the adapter..they mention the app too or Google it.

Adapter (Bluetooth) that plugs into the OBII diagnostic port = $20
App for your phone = $5

Makes me want to actually use my phone for this
Just have to get my son to show me how..

Why spend the $$ for a scanner?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had a beautiful Acura RL I took back from an ex...140k and couldnt tell it had 20k on it incredibly reliable and well built car.

Always had a slight tick from the flexplate. Over time got worse when I looked at what was involved I sold the car.

Too bad that was the best driving car ever, niicer than my girls Benz by a landslide.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
And my friends who own high end cars wonder why I drive a 2002 Ford Taurus that I inherited from father-in-law.

My daily driver. Very little to go wrong and if it does, it's cheap to fix and they'll routinely run 300,000 miles and it gets 50+ mpg as a bonus.

http://ford-parts.uneedapart.com/ima...tiva-parts.jpg
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,464 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Workin' on my '67 or a friends mid-year is ok. Parts are easy and relatively cheap, and tools simple. Our only other car is a '01 Mercedes AWD wagon. After the warranty expired I have done all the maintenance and some of the repairs. Have only needed my MB indy shop two times in 3.5 years, front CV joint boots and full fluid flush. I have a numbered account with the dealer that gives me 40%-60% reduction in cost. I can actually by my Mobil 1 for less there then any flaps. When or if diagnostics or a breakdown well out of my ability are needed, my indy will get the car. Dennis

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 01-12-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I remember getting frustrated with all those vacuum lines and EGR valves and such on early '70's Chev V8s.

They so totally made working on the cars harder as compared to the simplicity of pre '66 cars, especially the inline six cyl cars.

Today, that 1974 car is a dream to work on compared to many new new motors.

And yes, i believe that making cars too expensive to own is part of the plan, the new fuel econ standards will result in cars that coat about twice as much for a current similar sized vehicle, (it has already been stated by auto engineering groups that a full size pickup or auto would have to be made almost entirely of aluminum to meets its MPG goal in 2020) and the maintenance expense on old high mileage cars will likely make them unattractive to own.

And why on earth bury a starter under the manifold?? No place else to put it, or some other reason?

Doug
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
ToolMaker427
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGanzman
Just a reminder - there ARE some nightmare jobs on the "good old cars", to wit: 1968 Shelby GT500 - Spark Plugs! Sold that car in 1999, and STILL have a scar on my right hand from THAT all-day job!
This brings back memories.
My friends '67 GT500 has the same iisue. I'm called because I have the longest arms! It's all day job.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGanzman
Just a reminder - there ARE some nightmare jobs on the "good old cars", to wit: 1968 Shelby GT500 - Spark Plugs! Sold that car in 1999, and STILL have a scar on my right hand from THAT all-day job!
Originally Posted by ToolMaker427
This brings back memories.
My friends '67 GT500 has the same iisue. I'm called because I have the longest arms! It's all day job.

Back in the day I had a '67 Mustang FB GT 390. To change the plugs I did about half of then from under the car, then undid the motor mounts, jacked up the engine about 3 or 4 inches, and was able to get to the rest from the top. Got so I could do it in 2 or 3 hours after several times thru. I don't know why I ever thought a truck engine was a good idea in that car...............

Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
And why on earth bury a starter under the manifold?? No place else to put it, or some other reason?
Doug
The only semi logical explanation I've ever heard is due to the heat, which actually is the real killer of starters, (and that it's a clean area). I guess when the options were with a 210* valley location or next to a 450* exhaust manifold, the choice was clear. In the Northstars defense, I've never had a starter go bad on one, and even if I did, it's actually only an hour job to pull the manifold, as it's "dry" (no water circulation in the intake manifold). Also, due to the DOHC design, there is no oil in the valley area BTW. I know, it still seems weird, but it seems to work.

Russ

Ps: tuxinharley. I'll bet you wish you had that Mustang with the "truck engine" back now

Last edited by MrPbody; 01-11-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Russ

Ps: tuxinharley. I'll bet you wish you had that Mustang with the "truck engine" back now
Well, yes and no. That one got wrecked back then thru no fault of my own. I was out of town, parked it on the street in front of my parents house, and it got hit by a drunk in a 64ish full size Olds 88 going about 60 mph. It knocked the Mustang up on the next door neighbor's front lawn! The rear end was accordioned in about 2 feet, and the left rear tire was almost to the driver's seat.

About 8 years ago I found a virtual twin of it except with an "A" code 289, now built to Hypo specs. A much better handling car especially since I put on sub frame connectors and drop front spindles. I do miss that truck engine torque, 'tho! But, I never could make the old one handle like McQueen's in "Bullitt". Or maybe it was just the driver.......

Glenn

Last edited by tuxnharley; 01-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I work on all my stuff
New and old -
New just takes more time and patience - plus more tools
I dont mind it - rather work on my own stuff
get great satisfaction work on my cars (and neighbors too)
Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

This is all so true! I HATE the lack of serviceability in these cars. The only offset is the general reliability. I see that the need for "professional" service is infrequent enough to offset the cost, so I try and avoid working on my DD.
"Hung the heater core from a coat hanger" That's SO funny and believable!
I did headers on my C5 and it wasn't bad, but I needed to have the car on a lift. Injectors were easy as well.
I think this plays into my decision to do my '66- I really enjoy working on stuff, especially building engines and this gave me an outlet.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by csherman
I work on all my stuff
New and old -
New just takes more time and patience - plus more tools
I dont mind it - rather work on my own stuff
get great satisfaction work on my cars (and neighbors too)
Until you need a $7,500 scan tool.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I always joke that on the newer cars, step one is always "remove rear bumper"...well, last week I had to R&R a tail light on my 04 Acura TL..."step one" actually is, "remove rear bumper"...

Frank
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

"Do you ever work on modern cars...."

Only when I want to.

I have pulled the motor in my 62 vette.

I never considered doing my engine swap on my XK8.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you ever work on modern cars, arg!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

So many of the newer GM model faults are repairable as a software change or module recalibration, it's actually rare for a newer model module to have an internal fault (unlike the PCMs in the '80's/'90's). Unfortunately the module recalibrations are only available through GM's TIS2Web or GlobalConnect site which is dealer specific.

Ray
Old 01-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
So many of the newer GM model faults are repairable as a software change or module recalibration, it's actually rare for a newer model module to have an internal fault (unlike the PCMs in the '80's/'90's). Unfortunately the module recalibrations are only available through GM's TIS2Web or GlobalConnect site which is dealer specific.

Ray
Our 2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 Hemi is a good example of both a software issue, and inept dealer service manager. Since new, it has had an AC "failure to cool" a total of 3 times (system freeze up), each on a relatively long trip, at highways speeds when ambient temp is between 70-80F, & always "fixed itself", never repeatable, so never pursued repair. Like I said, only occurred on long trips, and that type of situation begs for the dealer to keep replacing parts, with no end in sight........

I was aware of a TSB for that exact issue, but our car was purchased in Sept. 2005, while the TSB was for vehicles built before end of previous Jan. As it turns out it was actually built in Feb., so it barely was out of the TSB range.

On a long trip this past Sept., the AC froze up several times, so we took it into our Mopar dealer. Dealer says TSB does not apply, but will check the AC charge (which means discharge the system and refill with a new charge - which it did not need, $cha-ching). He said it was only minimally low, and was not the issue, so he goes ahead and does the TSB software update (even though our vehicle is just barely out of the TSB "range").

Just after we purchased the vehicle in 2005, I had "added" a LED dash indicator to tell me when the engine went into 4 cylinder mode. It is just a LED and dropping resistor wired across one of the 4 fuel injectors that switches off when switching to 4 cylinders. If the LED is off, that injector is not firing, and it is in 4 cylinder mode. If in 8 cylinder mode, the LED flashes at the injector pulse rate and duration. Very useful.

After the recent software update (for the AC TSB), the LED is now flashing all the time (indicating that the engine is not switching into 4 cylinder mode). Call dealer service manager, and he states our car never had the 4 cylinder mode, but was much more concerned about how I "knew" that it was switching from one mode to the other, and what modifications I made that could of damaged the (his) vehicle. After 30 minute explaination, he said he would get back to me......2 days later he says bring it in for further checks, but only after I had to explain again what changes I had made.

In the mean time, I went on the LX Forum (Mopar forum), and found a method to reset the computer for this type issue. It reset properly, using that method, and the LED is now indicating both 8 & 4 cylinder modes. And I cancelled my next dealer visit.....and the AC continues to function properly (will see what happens on the next long trip).

And no, the dealer service manager does not know how to reset the computer for that fault (4 cylinder mode not engaging after software update). He had never heard of it before, and I never found it in the 4 volume service manual.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 01-13-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
You were actually pretty lucky. Many of the Ford V8 plugs twist off in the spark plug wells when you attempt to remove them. That requires $1000 in special tools resulting in about $80 per hole for every plug seized in the well. Most people never think they would ever see a $900 spark plug change. We see this all the time at our shop. A bigger nightmare? Don't get me started on the Ford 6.0 Diesel.
My 2003 is (supposedly) the first year they changed the heads to increase the threads securing the spark plugs from 4 to 8 so I am lucky in that respect. I put the new ones in with a liberal coating of anti-sieze.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you ever work on modern cars, arg!