C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 10:17 AM
ronets
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints???

Starting to hear that strange noise from the rear drivers side wheel area... How do you tell if it is the bearings?? I hope it is the U-Joints.

thanks,

ronets 63 vert :confused:
Old 06-13-2002, 10:24 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints??? (ronets)

ronets,

It has been my experience that bearings will give a rumble and usually changes when veering from side to side but uni's will vibrate more and not change when steering from side to side.

Hope this helps, Mark.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:33 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints??? (ronets)

You need to isolate it. I would start at the easiest and that would be; (1) jack up the rear, grab the tire and see if it will move at the bearing area. My tires moved 2+" in/out and was obvious the bearings were gone. Strange that they didn't make noise though. If inconclusive...(2) lock the E-brake and see if you can get noise/clanking by rocking each U-joint. If still difficult to tell, you'll need to remove the half shafts and driveline u-joints to further isolate. Lotsa work....hope it turns out to be u-joints also......yeah, right... :crazy:
Old 06-13-2002, 11:20 AM
64BB
Racer

Default Re: How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints??? (MasterDave)

i speak with the voice of bitter exeprience [don't we all]. do not take a chance. take off the half shaft and remove the u joints and visually inspect everything. if they are ok and if the wheel still rocks then you can always screw around with the bearings. that is a do-able job but much harder than the u joints. good luck.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:34 AM
ronets
Instructor

Thanks for all of your suggestions..... will take off the half shafts saturday...

Get notified of new replies

To How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints???

Quick Reply: How do I know if the rear end noise is the bearings or U-Joints???