Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
donbayers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
donbayers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Default Correct Carb restoration 1963 340 HP #3461S

Suggestions please for an authentic resto on my Carter 3461S, 1963 340hp.

I've taken my carb to a local guy (well known for quality work) Simon Carb Service in OKC, OK. Richard Simon does not claim to be an NCRS judge or Vette know-it-all, just does really top quality work. He is happy to modify any of his normal resto stuff for a more accurate resto if I request.

My questions are around the color of the plating of the metal parts and the color of the aluminum case.

I will attach several pics of a carb he has for a 1962 340hp car (for sale if anyone needs it) to show you his standard work.

What I ask is if there are things that I should have him do differently. I'm going to have it done so might as well be correct the first time.

Thanks for any help

Pic one is of my carb as I got it. (I can going to replace the manual choke)

Rest are of Mr. Simon's
Attached Images
      
donbayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Nowhere Man
CF Senior Member
 
Nowhere Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2003
Location: Sitting in his Nowhere land New Oxford Pa
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?
Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man
Default

http://customrebuiltcarbs.com/
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
donbayers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
donbayers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Default

Well right after I posted I got my NCRS 63 manual in the mail today. It says in the carb section that a 3461S, 1963 340hp should be
"natural aluminum" for the body and air horn.

So looking at Mr. Simon's work is correct as this carb is natural aluminum.

So the last question is the plating of the metal parts? He told me he does them in "gold zinc". Should I have it done that way or go for more of the "chrome zinc" finish?

Thanks
donbayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Fawndeuce
CF Senior Member
 
Fawndeuce's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Location, Location QC,NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbayers View Post
Well right after I posted I got my NCRS 63 manual in the mail today. It says in the carb section that a 3461S, 1963 340hp should be
"natural aluminum" for the body and air horn.

So looking at Mr. Simon's work is correct as this carb is natural aluminum.

So the last question is the plating of the metal parts? He told me he does them in "gold zinc". Should I have it done that way or go for more of the "chrome zinc" finish?

Thanks
The body of the carb should not be painted. I mention this because in the photo it looks like that carb may be painted, if it is you'd take a hit for sure during judging.
The linkage parts should be silver, its either silver cad or zinc plating I'm not sure which.
The choke housing body is a cast part and was plated when new, I think it was cad, has a greenish gold hue.



Paul
Fawndeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
donbayers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
donbayers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawndeuce View Post
The body of the carb should not be painted. I mention this because in the photo it looks like that carb may be painted, if it is you'd take a hit for sure during judging.
The linkage parts should be silver, its either silver cad or zinc plating I'm not sure which.
The choke housing body is a cast part and was plated when new, I think it was cad, has a greenish gold hue.



Paul
Good info. The body of Mr. Simon's carb is not painted. It's the light of afternoon and phone camera.

I'm sure he can plate the parts differently and the choke housing.

Anyone else a carb guru of originality??

Thanks all
donbayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
rick charles
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: AUBURN NY
Default carb

Philip cancilla ...........www.customrebuiltcarbs.com .he can do it all, ........................................ .rick
rick charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
provette67
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Kirtland Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick charles View Post
Philip cancilla ...........www.customrebuiltcarbs.com .he can do it all, ........................................ .rick
provette67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
donbayers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
donbayers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Default

Just posting some pics to close out this thread.

Mr. Simon did a fantastic job taking my crappy looking carb and making it look brand new, show condition.
Attached Images
   
donbayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
W Guy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Hightstown NJ
Default

From my experiance, I'd say that your carb is over-restored. The finish on the aluminum is too bright and all the linkage is bright zinc plated. I believe the plating was a dull cad. Here is a pic of a '63 carb I did several years ago. There may be some detail mistakes, but the finishes are more true to original in my opinion.

Verne
Click the image to open in full size.
W Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
donbayers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
donbayers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Edmond Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Guy View Post
From my experiance, I'd say that your carb is over-restored. The finish on the aluminum is too bright and all the linkage is bright zinc plated. I believe the plating was a dull cad. Here is a pic of a '63 carb I did several years ago. There may be some detail mistakes, but the finishes are more true to original in my opinion.

Verne
Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks for the post of your carb.

One thing to mention is that my pics were taken with the camera phone and the flash was on. My carb does look closer to yours in real life.

Camera phones often over expose and don't really do things justice accurately.

Good to know that I was on the general track though.

Best
donbayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Correct Carb restoration 1963 340 HP #3461S
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man sent to prison by anti-death penalty group tries to forgive RetiredSFC 97 Politics, Religion & Controversy 21 11-18-2014 07:11 PM
‘The Simpsons’ co-creator Sam Simon has a terminal illness, will give away millions Humanoid 2.0 Off Topic 6 11-11-2014 06:17 PM
FS: 63 300 340 hp 3461S AFB carb RPO687 C1 & C2 Parts 2 10-31-2014 11:58 AM
What is the right carb gasket? 63 340hp Carter donbayers C1 & C2 Corvettes 9 03-22-2014 11:34 PM
WTB 3461S Carter Carb Zoomin C1 & C2 Parts 2 09-01-2013 12:44 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Emails & Password Backup