C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1964 Radiator Help (Paging Tom De Witt)

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 AM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1964 Radiator Help (Paging Tom De Witt)

Went into the garage tonight and found that my 1964 Corvette (parked on top of the lift) leaked coolant all over my 2001 (and missed the drip trays). After cleaning up the mess it seems that the 1964 is dripping coolant along the bottom of the radiator support (slow drip from the left and right sides), amount one drop every 1-2 minutes. I do not see wetness around the petcock nor the bottom hose area. Would it be safe to assume that the radiator corroded and has sprung a leak?

My car is 1964 327/300HP convertible without AC, and it just came back from being on display at The National Corvette Museum, so keeping it top notch and 100% correct is very important to me. I am debating whether to have it flatbeded into my local classic Corvette shop, or if this is something I can handle at home, in the garage, seeing that I have a lift. I am not the most mechanical guy in the world but can do some light repairs. From what I see, it seems that I can drain most of the coolant from the petcock, then remove the lower radiator hose (draining the remainder of the coolant), then the upper hose, and then remove the top radiator support bracket and the unit should lift right out for inspection or replacement? Are there any steps that I am missing? I know that the lower and upper support need the cushions to hold the radiator in place. Also, on a 1964 small block car without AC, would I need to remove the hood to pull the radiator? Seems that she might just make it out without pulling the hood off the car.

Tom, would appreciate your thoughts on the removal process, and a repair vs. a correct date coded replacement. If a replacement is in order, do you happen to have a 1964 327/300HP non-AC in stock that we can date code? My car's build date was March 3, 1964.

Thanks guys, could really use some guidance here
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD-LS1
Thanks guys, could really use some guidance here
Why not just give Tom a call? (517) 548-0600.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1964 Radiator Help (Paging Tom De Witt)