C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
mgsabrsula
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

If the number on the frame matches, I might get in line in the number two spot. With your paper work and a matching frame number. If a repro tag is put on the steering column correctly it will probably never raise a doubt.

My first Corvette was a '61 fuelie. I was 15 years old. I remember asking my dad then "what happens if you have to change out the steering column?" The VIN number location never made sense to me even back then.
Mike
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgsabrsula
If the number on the frame matches, I might get in line in the number two spot. With your paper work and a matching frame number. If a repro tag is put on the steering column correctly it will probably never raise a doubt.

My first Corvette was a '61 fuelie. I was 15 years old. I remember asking my dad then "what happens if you have to change out the steering column?" The VIN number location never made sense to me even back then.
Mike
Great, TWO potential buyers!!! Getting tied up at work today. Will be heading over later to search again.
I took about 20 pictures of the car on Sunday and was going to load a link to my photobucket. For some reason every time I try to go to the photobucket site it redirects me to a "beta" address and just sits there, trying to load.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM
3310vette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The dental product is an alginate; a powder mixed with water that sets up like silly putty in about 60 seconds. Dentists use it to make impressions for night guards. A couple of ounces and the appropriate amount of water (cold if you want to slow down the set time) would be enough to spread out over top of a cleaned frame, but you would need to know that you are in the right place. Sometimes you can use a dental mirror and shine a light on the mirror and see the numbers, but the area is usually dirty and rusty; making the VIN difficult to see. On a 1960, it is just below the driver's seat.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Good News Everyone, found the VIN on the frame,,,,,and it MATCHES!!!

Great big sigh of relief!

Once I looked on the outside of the top frame it was easy to find. Used a mirror to confirm numbers. Using the wood wedge to give me another 1/2 inch was a big help. No rust at all, just a little dirt I had to wipe off.

I will sleep MUCH better tonight,,,,,
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by edub63vette

Once I looked on the outside of the top frame it was easy to find. Used a mirror to confirm numbers. Using the wood wedge to give me another 1/2 inch was a big help. No rust at all, just a little dirt I had to wipe off.

I heard a scream of JOY instead of anguish.....
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

That's great news!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM
esema
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's great news. NOW, it I was you, I would order up a new plate and just keep it with your papers, but don't install it. You don't need any prying eyes judging your install of a phony plate. One day when you sell it you can pass it along to the future owner, with the whole story.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to see a picture of the wood shim where you used it. I've been under my car a few times with silly putty, play-doh and a mirror and can't find anything on the frame. Haven't tried the shim though.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
That's great news. NOW, it I was you, I would order up a new plate and just keep it with your papers, but don't install it. You don't need any prying eyes judging your install of a phony plate. One day when you sell it you can pass it along to the future owner, with the whole story.
What phony plate are you talking about? I THOUGHT I lost it but discovered it had fallen on the shop floor,,,,,,,,

Just kidding of course.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

What type of proof does Datatags require for verification that the frame number matches? I would assume a photo? Were you able to take one using the wedge & perhaps a mirror?

Congrats on the "match"!

Plasticman
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
I'd love to see a picture of the wood shim where you used it. I've been under my car a few times with silly putty, play-doh and a mirror and can't find anything on the frame. Haven't tried the shim though.
Sparty,

Currently having photobucket issues but can shoot you a picture the next time I am at the shop. Just pm me your contact.
Just took a wooden garden stake and cut it to about 5 inches. Put it on the outside of the frame a few inches between the top frame rail and floorboard and gently hammered it in just a bit to raise the floor about 1/2 an inch. I put the stake about 6-8 inches towards the back from where the serial number is at ( the serial number is located about where your wallet would be if you were sitting in the driver's seat), straight down. The numbers were to the left of the stake. There was just some hard dirt (not rust). I marked the spot on the side of the frame with a marker and used a rag soaked in paint thinner and pushed the rag through the top frame and kind of "buffed" it.

Hope that helps,,,,,,,
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Plasticman
What type of proof does Datatags require for verification that the frame number matches? I would assume a photo? Were you able to take one using the wedge & perhaps a mirror?

Congrats on the "match"!

Plasticman
That is my plan, I need to get more details from them. I know the cost is $300.00
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Sparty,

Currently having photobucket issues but can shoot you a picture the next time I am at the shop. Just pm me your contact.
Just took a wooden garden stake and cut it to about 5 inches. Put it on the outside of the frame a few inches between the top frame rail and floorboard and gently hammered it in just a bit to raise the floor about 1/2 an inch. I put the stake about 6-8 inches towards the back from where the serial number is at ( the serial number is located about where your wallet would be if you were sitting in the driver's seat), straight down. The numbers were to the left of the stake. There was just some hard dirt (not rust). I marked the spot on the side of the frame with a marker and used a rag soaked in paint thinner and pushed the rag through the top frame and kind of "buffed" it.

Hope that helps,,,,,,,
That does help. I wasn't sure about hammering it in there. Any fiberglass creaking noises during that? I'll have to give it a try.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
That does help. I wasn't sure about hammering it in there. Any fiberglass creaking noises during that? I'll have to give it a try.
No creaking noises. 2 or 3 taps on the hammer does it and I could pull it out by hand.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good News, now go buy a lottery ticket.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
waltonb123
Pro

That's too bad, you could have bought a custom frame added a new steering column and called it a restomod, then you could have taken it to Barrett Jackson and sold it for $150,000!

Get notified of new replies

To My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by waltonb123
That's too bad, you could have bought a custom frame added a new steering column and called it a restomod, then you could have taken it to Barrett Jackson and sold it for $150,000!
Can't I still do that???

Actually I would like to have a resto-mod, have to decide how far I want to go in restoring the 62 fuelie before I look for another(of course I would have to trade or sell the 62). It runs perfect and only needs a good clean up and a paint job. 78k original miles and second owner has had it since 1967. I did replace the Keystones with stock tires (well radials) and hubcaps. Put on new brakes, clutch, and it runs great!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

don't resto an original fuel car.....
Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
waltonb123
Pro

Can't I still do that???

Actually I would like to have a resto-mod, have to decide how far I want to go in restoring the 62 fuelie before I look for another(of course I would have to trade or sell the 62). It runs perfect and only needs a good clean up and a paint job. 78k original miles and second owner has had it since 1967. I did replace the Keystones with stock tires (well radials) and hubcaps. Put on new brakes, clutch, and it runs great!!!!!!
Well I'll give you $20,000 right now! (You know...since it doesn't have a vin tag)

Quick Reply: My 62 Fuelie- This will get interesting!