C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rebuilding Coupe Vent & Glass Assemblies ... Yikes !

Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Default Rebuilding Coupe Vent & Glass Assemblies ... Yikes !

While the '66 coupe is down and gutted for it's paint work I thought that this would be a good oppurtunity to rebuild all of the junk that I took out of that car, including the ventilators. All of my replacement reproduction parts from Zip, Willcox, Corvette Central, etc.) consist of new vent glass weatherstips (the vertical seal does not have enough length on the reatining tabs to hold the glass run channel), the glass run channels will not line up correctly (despite the twisting and bending of the "pre-curved" channels if the top lines up with the vertical vent seal the lower rivets will not), replacing the r/s vent hinge (the repro part looks nothing like the original and will not line up correctly, do I gotsta' bend this thing to make it work ?) and that's just the first couple of hours. I'm afraid to go any further. Oh, and I'm replacing all of the side/vent/back glass and windshield too ...

Has anyone else here experienced the same trauma as I have and whaddid' you do ?

Ray

Last edited by rayvaflav; 02-12-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added more crap to my already confusing rant
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice is to euthanize yourself IMMEDIATELY...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

edited with more fun information added ... sheesh !
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Ray this sounds like a job for 62 Jeff. Bring it down. Don't worry I will let him know just before you get here.

Now on another note I don't know crap about what you are doing but I bet someone on this forum knows and will chime right in.

Good luck Buddy

Jay
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Ray. I totally agree with everything you say. But, I made it through. All the things that I was sure would not ever fit, did. It took quite a while, I had to walk away more than once, but I did get all those parts swapped out with the "new". I changed the vent window weatherstrips, pivot rivets, the window channels, I rebuilt the "regulators" the power window mechanisms, etc. Take it slow one step at a time and give it another shot.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Ray put them in a box send them to me and I will assemble them for you . I have rebuilt dozens of them and can do them blindfolded
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
Ray put them in a box send them to me and I will assemble them for you . I have rebuilt dozens of them and can do them blindfolded
Greetings Pauly, er ah, I mean my best friend Pauly .... I like this idea of yours. I'll take you up on this offer and send you all of my ill-fitting parts. Shoot me a PM or an email to rayvaflav@hotmail.com with your address and I'll get with ya'.

Ray
Old 02-14-2013, 12:10 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
See I told you.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding Coupe Vent & Glass Assemblies ... Yikes !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding Coupe Vent & Glass Assemblies ... Yikes !