C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Soda or Plastic Media Blaster Northern Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
IMSA GTO
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year-Modified

Default Soda or Plastic Media Blaster Northern Virginia

Appreciate any comments or suggestions on soda or plastic media blasting shops in the Northern Virginia or DC area that are knowledgeable in stripping mid years. Anybody with good or bad experiences who can recommend a shop? ( or ones to stay away from)

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw your post ..my resent exp...is....I have 67 BBC roadster ready to get new paint.
Got a choice of chem strip...soda....# 6 acrilic beads....chose the bead blast....to reveal all defects...and for my painter to garentee his BLACK/W RED stripe only if we take paint entirely off....so what kind of paint job are you getting??

I got a driver no warranty + all panels..( needed front valance turn signal panel and all the bonding strips......7500.00 and I take it down and put it all back cept painter will install the head lights and weatherstripping...
now when I get done ...everything is fixed undernieth and a solid lasting warrantyed paint job... 10.000

BUT...blasting a metal car v/s a fiberglass one is totally different....the blaster must have experiance on glass ....possible out come super wavey body panels....all eadges of body must be taped and hand worked later..all holes are skipped and musr be worked by hand so not to destroy the edges..etc...mine was done by experianced blaster and came out pretty darn good.....has lots of vette experiance...so be clear when you dip stick blasters..make sure they know this ISNT A STEEL BODY
and another good thing on the beads ......very little residue left after mine was done.........compared to soda blasting....but then that depends if the car is totally stripped w/ all interior out ...or just preping body for new paint....lots to consider...let us know what your thinking now..

Bluzrocker

Last edited by bluzrocker; 02-12-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM
IMSA GTO
Instructor

Thanks for your comments Bluzrocker. This is exactly why I am looking for forum members experienced with local shops in my area. The last thing that I want is a pile of glass fibers that used to be a C2 body.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I send the cars we do to asco in manassas,they do a great job and no problems. They have done 5 or 6 vettes for me their number is 703 368 9922 jbl
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
IMSA GTO
Instructor

Thanks John, I will give them a call
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my '64 Soda Blasted at the same time a friend had his all original, numbers matching '63 Fuelie Soda Blasted. It took our guy about 3-4 hours to complete both.

Both cars were on Dollies and both came out great. We have since cleaned, prep'd and applied high build primer. Now repeating the sanding, prime, sand, prime until ready for paint.

I would recommend Soda Blasting a fiberglass body. For the price vs. time saved even setting your sanding/stripping time at a conservative $20/hr was well worth it.

Picture of both, back into shop after Soda blasted.

RK

Last edited by RoadKing96; 02-13-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Soda or Plastic Media Blaster Northern Virginia

Quick Reply: Soda or Plastic Media Blaster Northern Virginia