C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

January 2014 NCRS Kissimmee meet

Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default January 2014 NCRS Kissimmee meet

Well for all you folks coming in from other countries next year here is a piece of brilliance our legislators have throw into the mix in Florida to further cripple our tourist-based economy - so plan accordingly:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,3666462.story

So far the local gov'ts are trying to backpedal away from enforcing it but stay tuned!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,324 Likes on 957 Posts

Default Florida

Wow, I thought they were only corrupt. I guess I have to add stupid also. The new session starts on March 3. Can't wait. Jerry
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
stall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Studebaker Forum (yes I also have Studebakers) our Friends from Canada are reporting that their snobirds are very concerned that if they get stopped for anything they might be in big trouble.

Snobirds are very big business around our perch in Delray Fl.---Only in Fl. do they go out of their way to foul their nest!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Well...I guess this would effectively eliminate the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks that are regularly allowed to cross the border and terrorize motorists in this country....

Fred
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Frankie I heard today that the legislation has been recinded temporarily, can't blame the officers though if they can't read a driver's license written in a language other than English. It's my understanding that the Quebec D/L's are in french ... guessing the Mexican ones are in Spanish? Up here in Canada the Quebecois pride themselves in not having any English signs in the Province of Quebec, hell they don't even want to fly the Canadian flag there! Sorry for the rant...

Last edited by vt65; 02-15-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
Up here in Canada the Quebecois pride themselves in not having any English signs in the Province of Quebec, hell they don't even want to fly the Canadian flag there! Sorry for the rant...
Guess what the first thing I did was when we moved to Ontario?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Just another way to tax the tourists note the $25 fee have never heard any law enforcement complain about this, the state of Florida is the best at killing itself.
Mark
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by mark6669
Just another way to tax the tourists note the $25 fee have never heard any law enforcement complain about this, the state of Florida is the best at killing itself.
Mark
Here's a cut and paste from Frank's post.

"During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013," the department stated Thursday.

"It has come to the Department's attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

It's not as if they don't have enough problems here in Floriduh....

Why waste time worrying about this?

Idiots.

If you read the second paragraph, looks like this "new" Floriduh law conflicts with a 1949 Geneva Convention treaty.

Wonder how much time our state legislature wasted debating this new "law", not realizing the conflict?

This past summer, I rented a car in Italy. NOBODY asked me for a "special international drivers license".

Chuck
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mark6669
Mark
You should be grateful. How do you think it is that we have no income tax and very low property taxes. Love the tourists.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff

This past summer, I rented a car in Italy. NOBODY asked me for a "special international drivers license".

Chuck
I've held an international drivers license since 1984. Never needed to use it once anywhere on the planet. Waste of money.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by vettefred
Well...I guess this would effectively eliminate the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks that are regularly allowed to cross the border and terrorize motorists in this country....

Fred
I look at it this way Fred, where the "the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks" will all gravitate to NC - the all comer state where even a dog can get a DL......
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettefred

Fred
Don't understand your comment. The IDP is available to anyone with $25 and has nothing to do with the vehicle or what condition it's in.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
Frankie I heard today that the legislation has been recinded temporarily, can't blame the officers though if they can't read a driver's license written in a language other than English. It's my understanding that the Quebec D/L's are in french
I am in Orlando on business next week and will be renting a car, also hopefully getting to a car show and then Oldtown on Sat.
This new legislation apparently took effect Jan 1, but only became public knowledge this week when a British journalist found out about it by accident.
I went to our local CAA office (AAA) to get one of those international permits (only place in Canada that has them), but there were literally hundreds of people who had also been caught off guard waiting in line for the same thing.
I was told the wait was about 2hrs, so I left, later that day FL made the statement that they would not enforce the law for now.
I have used my Quebec permit around the world to rent cars, never an issue, it has the bar code and mag strip and the rental car companies just scan it like any other.
Here is a sample of a Quebec permit, if a cop can't scan this or figure it out, he probably has more serious issues in his life...

Paul

PS. That international drivers license that FL mandated costs over $40 with picture and taxes, and is only valid for one year.

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 02-16-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
I look at it this way Fred, where the "the poorly maintained, aged, out of control Mexican trucks" will all gravitate to NC - the all comer state where even a dog can get a DL......

YUP......

Fred

Get notified of new replies

To January 2014 NCRS Kissimmee meet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: January 2014 NCRS Kissimmee meet