C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Flooding at idle but not float level problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 02:12 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Flooding at idle but not float level problem

BG Demon 750 idling rich and stalling but float levels are fine. The one telltale symptom is that gas spits out of primary vent tube and the venturis appear wet.

Can debris foul a power valve and keep it from fully closing? It was flooding and stalling yesterday with a fouled needle valve so I changed the fuel filter, cleaned carb plus replaced needle valve and power valve. There was debris in the float bowl which is why I changed the filter back at the tank and did my best to flush out the fuel line from the filter to the carbs but there's only so much one can do.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:31 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

You have answered your own question. trash in fuel. get it out. start with tank.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:15 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,602 Posts

did you clean/blow out all the passages in the metering block?
did you clean/blow out the air vents in the main body?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:01 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelWff
did you clean/blow out all the passages in the metering block?
did you clean/blow out the air vents in the main body?
Yes, cleaned out metering body but didn't blow out the main vent, don't see how that would play a role in my problem.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
BG Demon 750 idling rich and stalling but float levels are fine. The one telltale symptom is that gas spits out of primary vent tube and the venturis appear wet.

Can debris foul a power valve and keep it from fully closing? It was flooding and stalling yesterday with a fouled needle valve so I changed the fuel filter, cleaned carb plus replaced needle valve and power valve. There was debris in the float bowl which is why I changed the filter back at the tank and did my best to flush out the fuel line from the filter to the carbs but there's only so much one can do.
The power valve will not cause fuel to spit out of the bowl vents. This sounds more like E10 fuel boiling in the bowl. Does this only happen when the engine is shut off when hot?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:51 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Critter1
The power valve will not cause fuel to spit out of the bowl vents. This sounds more like E10 fuel boiling in the bowl. Does this only happen when the engine is shut off when hot?
No, it doesn't happen with the engine off, only when running and it's just droplets that spit an inch or so out of the vent into the air.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Would it be correct to assume fuel is spitting out the nozzles into the venturi also? try to lower the float level one turn clockwise and see if this stops the boiling outside the bowls.

Last edited by tbarb; 07-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tbarb
Would it be correct to assume fuel is spitting out the nozzles into the venturi also? try to lower the float level one turn clockwise and see if this stops the boiling outside the bowls.
I don't see it 'spitting' out the nozzles but that's not to say it's not weeping out. I've lowered the float level to the bottom of the sight glass which is a larger opening than standard Holley. Do you firmly believe it's a fuel boiling issue? I'll have to go have a look now that it's cooled down and see if it still does it.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 PM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

If it does not spit fuel when the engine is started cold and only does when good and hot then I believe it boiling fuel.

If that's the case lower the fuel level a turn and see if it makes a difference. You also need to try and find out if there are things that will allow the engine to run cooler like manifold vacuum advance, wire heat riser open, a shield under the carburetor that extends out to shield the float bowl from heat soak coming from the intake manifold.

The ethonal fuel is the problem with it's low boiling point.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:45 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tbarb
If it does not spit fuel when the engine is started cold and only does when good and hot then I believe it boiling fuel.

If that's the case lower the fuel level a turn and see if it makes a difference. You also need to try and find out if there are things that will allow the engine to run cooler like manifold vacuum advance, wire heat riser open, a shield under the carburetor that extends out to shield the float bowl from heat soak coming from the intake manifold.

The ethanol fuel is the problem with it's low boiling point.
I am tending to believe you're correct. I just ran it for long enough to get to 180* and did not witness fuel spitting out the vent and it idled fine. I'm a little puzzled that I have this problem now and didn't have it when I built this engine the first time but then I only drove it less than a year before having to rebuild it and may not have driven it during the hottest months. I have always been amazed at how hot the carb gets, I can't touch the air cleaner after a normal cruise.

I have headers so no heat riser and do run manifold vac advance, which only leaves adding a shield under the carb. I did add a 1/2 spacer previously because I was concerned about how close the high volume accel pump sat to the intake riser but apparently that wasn't enough.

Thanks for the tips.

Get notified of new replies

To Flooding at idle but not float level problem

Quick Reply: Flooding at idle but not float level problem