C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Laquer Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:35 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Laquer Paint

Hi Guys,It it is my understaning when a car was sprayed with laquer in the fifties they did not wet sand it after being painted.Only buffed out and off to the dealers Is this correct.And talking to people that have sprayed there car with laquer they all say they did wet sand at some point.Were is the advantage to wet sanding and if you are doing a car and trying to replicate the originality of it to look like a factory job WOULDN'T wet sanding be out of the norm.And how manny coats of laquer did the put on at the factory.Thanks Bob W
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I believe they applied two to three wet coats of color coat lacquer and then buffed out the top surface. Little to no buffing took place below the beltline. They would only have lightly wet sanded a blemish or two before buffing - if even that.

I'm answering based on third hand info just to get you to the top. JohnZ can give a more precise response when he sees it.

I believe they also ran the cars after painting through an oven area that somewhat re-flowed the paint and speeded curing.

Last edited by DansYellow66; 02-20-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have even seen 1970 original paint car we pulled from storge container it was put there in 70 and runs in the white paint ,thats how that left the factory and arrived at a dealership .
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

I wet sanded the primer layer in preparation for the lacquer. I put on 4 layers of lacquer and only buffed; no wet sand. I did buff below the crease but less than above. I had my car judged at Bloomington and received relatively minor deductions for paint.

We had a relatively low mileage, original paint Mosport Green 66 coupe in the shop the other day. We found numerous runs in the paint and little to no paint in the wheel well area. There was also very little paint in the lower portion of the rear valance, in the area below the front grill, and the lower part of the doors. Generally speaking, if it was hard to get to or couldn't be readily be seen then it got little to no paint.

Although I tried not to make my paint perfect there was no way I would duplicate an original paint job. I would have probably demanded my money back from the painter!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Dont know about the fifities but the later acrylic lacquer plant process involved reflow ovens which as the name imlies allowed the paint to even out and shine without a dedicated buff out process..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by John BX NY
Dont know about the fifities but the later acrylic lacquer plant process involved reflow ovens which as the name imlies allowed the paint to even out and shine without a dedicated buff out process..
I understand the oven got as hot as 250 degrees to stimulate paint movement starting the flow process. The process which John BX eludes to eliminated a great deal of 'hard core' buffing.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:19 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Bob, I don't have personal knowledge of 50s and early 60s cars. But I do distinctly remember going to Chevy dealers in the late 60s and through the 70s to look at Corvettes on the showroom floor. The paint on them was awful. All cars were bad in those days. But Corvettes were the worst. I seem to remember the reason given was that the Corvette plant processes and equipment were the oldest. Much orange peel in the paint. Many stories of Chevy dealers painting brand new Corvettes because customers wouldn't accept them when they came in. The perceived quality of cars in those days was bad. But I particularly remember the orange peel on the Corvettes. Maybe the fiberglass body couldn't take the heat necessary to reflow it in the heat booth. I seem to remember hearing something like that too.

Most restorers today wouldn't spend the amount of money they must spend for a paint job to make it look that bad.

(Thanks again for the use of the rivet tool.)
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Thank's guys for all the input.Will be doing a car in Laquer and want it to represent as close as possible to the factory finish.Lots of people tell me to do it in Base coat &Clear but i want to do the paint myself and see how close i come.Thanks once again much appreciated.Bob W
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
The paint on them was awful. All cars were bad in those days. But Corvettes were the worst.
I know some vintage Mustang restorers who painstakingly reproduce the paint runs on certain parts to make them look as nasty as they did when they came from the factory
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I know some vintage Mustang restorers who painstakingly reproduce the paint runs on certain parts to make them look as nasty as they did when they came from the factory
Hey Frankie, Funny that you mentioned Mustang.My wife and i will be at our house in Florida in a few weeks i will be looking at a 66 mustang convertible while we are there.Hope all is well with you.Bob W
Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
c6 CHEVY
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Join NCRS. National Corvette Restorers Society. All the paint pros are members.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My comments on lacquer paint will be censored. Nothing to do with it.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by RestoMike
I understand the oven got as hot as 250 degrees to stimulate paint movement starting the flow process. The process which John BX eludes to eliminated a great deal of 'hard core' buffing.
The DuPont thermal reflow acrylic lacquer required a final bake at 325*F for full reflow, eliminating any need for final buffing; that's what it got in the steel car plants.

The Corvette body couldn't withstand 325*F - the Corvette final bake oven was 45 minutes at 250*F, which wasn't hot enough to reflow the paint; that's why Corvettes were buffed manually (only above the bodyside feature line) to bring up the gloss level.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
c6 CHEVY
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Great picture John.

Get notified of new replies

To Laquer Paint

Quick Reply: Laquer Paint