C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vintage Air & cutting

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Austerlitz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Air & cutting

I have a new Vintage Air system to install into my 66. The installer has told me that he will have to cut 6 in from my center consul near the fire wall and the side of the consul on the passenger side. The cut at the firewall will not be noticeable, but the side of the consul will be ruined. I hate to cut anything on my car.
Does this install sound familiar? Is there a way to do this without ruining the side of the consul?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
rdc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Austerlitz
I have a new Vintage Air system to install into my 66. The installer has told me that he will have to cut 6 in from my center consul near the fire wall and the side of the consul on the passenger side. The cut at the firewall will not be noticeable, but the side of the consul will be ruined. I hate to cut anything on my car.
Does this install sound familiar? Is there a way to do this without ruining the side of the consul?
The only cutting I had to do on my '63 was about a 2-3" notch on the passenger side of the center console. You cannot see it once you put the side panel and trim ring back on.

Also, the passenger side vent was saved by routing the hoses through the heater core opening.

I would suggest having your mechanic call Vintage Air's R&D group for advice. They were very helpful with an issue I had with the appearance of the driver's side duct for a '63 or '64 (I ended up using the duct they normally supply for a '66 or '67.)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Vintage Air

I installed a Vintage Air system in my 66. The only cut required is for the drain hole in the firewall. You can go on the Vintage Air website and download the install instructions in a PDF file and see for yourself. Jerry
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Ron Champe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I installed a Vintage Air system in my 66. The only cut required is for the drain hole in the firewall. You can go on the Vintage Air website and download the install instructions in a PDF file and see for yourself. Jerry
Same here on my 65 coupe.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry

66 install here ZERO cutting. Crap install but zero cutting
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM
batman1414
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

installed on my 64 and no console cutting but install and 4 hose routing through side vent is hell along with running of air ducts is even worse
Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Instructions for the new Gen IV kit, states that the center console trim piece must be cut 6 inches on the passenger.

CUT & REMOVE 6” FROM CENTER CONSOLE FLOOR TRIM AS SHOWN BELOW IN FIGURE 15.

There is not cutting of the center console with the previous Vintage air kits.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
rdc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c66vet
Instructions for the new Gen IV kit, states that the center console trim piece must be cut 6 inches on the passenger.

CUT & REMOVE 6” FROM CENTER CONSOLE FLOOR TRIM AS SHOWN BELOW IN FIGURE 15.

There is not cutting of the center console with the previous Vintage air kits.
Correct. This started with GenIV...instructions do say 6 inches but 2-3" will work. There is also a need for a small drain hole in the firewall.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

i have an older version, but i also had to cut the passenger side of the center console, a couple/three inches. tried, but just couldn't get it back in place due to interference. the instructions back then did not say anything about cutting it. but then again, it's advertised as a "sure fit" system and the running joke was and probably always will be: "yeah, if you cut and hack and modify enough, it sure fits!"
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey
i have an older version, but i also had to cut the passenger side of the center console, a couple/three inches. tried, but just couldn't get it back in place due to interference. the instructions back then did not say anything about cutting it. but then again, it's advertised as a "sure fit" system and the running joke was and probably always will be: "yeah, if you cut and hack and modify enough, it sure fits!"
That's the most accurate description yet.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I had to cut it on my 63 once installed you can't see it. Do you really think you will ever remove it?
Mark
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I just installed a new, Gen IV unit, and saw the instruction to cut the console. I mocked the unit up, and saw that it did look like the console would hit on the servo motor. I forced the mounting of the unit slightly inboard before I installed the mounting brackets on the Z-bar, and the console cleared. Just finished the carpet today, and slipped the console back in place. Sure enough, the console cleared by at least 1/16"!

Don't trim the console, until you have to, it may clear,if you work with it a little. The older units cleared by a mile, but the Gen IV units are real close, but I think with a little finesse in the mounting, it can be made to clear.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Yea Baby!

Ok John, I believe you but, you know how some of these guys are and unless you post some pics, well just sayin!

Earl
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by mikey
Me too on the 63.You can't tell it was cut. I had no issues getting it in after that,And I had to drill the drain hole. As sure a fit as you will find in classic car restoration.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bigearl56
Ok John, I believe you but, you know how some of these guys are and unless you post some pics, well just sayin!

Earl
Earl,

I will snap some pics tomorrow.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

As promised, here is a pic of my new Gen IV VA unit installed without cutting the console. It is clear, but it take a little finessing when mounting to miss the console.

Nobody will ever see the cut, even if you need to cut it, I had a hard enough time just getting a pic of it!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-26-2013, 02:22 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to butt into this thread but it looks like there is a bunch of experience related to my questions I am planning ordering a gen IV system for a 63 split window I am picking up this week. The car has a base 327 and I have a few questions.

Did you all move your alt to the drivers side or did you just put the compressor on the drivers site? Looks like the order form will let me order either way.

If you move the alt what bracket did you use?

What water pump and crank double pulley's did you use and where did you get them?

Did you have to upgrade your alt?

Did you need to add an electric fan?

Did you have to remove the radiator to install the condenser or is there another way to install that?

Any other tips?

Sorry for all the questions, I just installed a gen IV in my 60 corvette and it seemed a lot easier compared to the directions I read for the 63.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air & cutting

Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
rdc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=C1-Curt;1583465798]Sorry to butt into this thread but it looks like there is a bunch of experience related to my questions I am planning ordering a gen IV system for a 63 split window I am picking up this week. The car has a base 327 and I have a few questions.

Did you all move your alt to the drivers side or did you just put the compressor on the drivers site? Looks like the order form will let me order either way.

I moved the alternator to the driver's side. Factory air cars have A/C on passenger side plus the hose routing looks much better with the compressor on the passenger side.

If you move the alt what bracket did you use?

They sent me the correct brackets by selecting "move alternator to driver's side."

What water pump and crank double pulley's did you use and where did you get them?

Mine already had double pulleys. You also have to select short or long shaft water pump. It should have a short shaft unless it has been changed.

Did you have to upgrade your alt?

No

Did you need to add an electric fan?

No, but I did go with a factory type 7-blade w/AC fan blade

Did you have to remove the radiator to install the condenser or is there another way to install that?

No, just had to loosen the support brackets.

Any other tips?

1. Route the hoses through the heater core opening to save your passenger side vent.

2. Ask for the '67 drivers side duct/eyeball. The one that comes with the '63 & '64 kit puts the eyeball too far to the right. Installation of the duct is much easier if you purchase a '63 w/air hood release cable and move it the right of where it was originally (there are holes already drilled in the bar.)

Good luck,

Dennis
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

The above info is pretty sound.

I went with a SPAL puller fan inside the shroud including factory 5 blade and clutch. Keeps it cool in Houstons heat and provides heat soak relief on short stops. Doesn't take any extra hp either.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Upper Radiator Hose

When you all moved your alternator to the drivers side did you have to use a different upper radiator hose. I see one listed at CC for cars with and without A/C in 63, wondering if that was to accommodate for the alt belt.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air & cutting