C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do 64's sit "rear end" low?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Rick,
I have seen a ton of people get help on this site. There are many great ideas and I have learned a lot. There are also a ton of people who give opinions when unsolicited. Roll with it and learn how to post pics.
Peace.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rickcarson8500
My 64 vette recently completed a "frame off" restoration. As I look at the car from the side profile, it appears to sit slightly "rear end" low! Is this correct?

As others stated, it should be level. Before assuming the spring is "weak", try adjusting the ride height my raising the nut on the bolt at each end. If the spring does not have a decent arch and it is basically flat when you get to the desired ride height, or you run out of threads and can't get it to the right height, then the spring needs to be replaced.

Next question: What is the correct leaf spring? Is it a nine (9) leaf,
2-1/4" wide spring that has a 9/16" bolt running through the anchor plate or should it be a seven (7) spring, 2-1/2" wide spring that uses a7/16" bolt running through the anchor plate?

Already answered by others

My rear tires appear to "bow" or "camber" in slightly at the top. Is this correct?

It's called negative camber and as noted, 1/2 degree is correct. This amount IS visible to the eye, but if you could post a picture we could help judge it.

Regarless of spring, is there a rear camber adjustment? If so, are "shims" used? What is/are the camber adjustments.

Yes, there is a camber rod on each side. The inner mounting bolt has an adjustable cam that will push the rod outward or pull it in, depending on how you position the cam. pushing it out will push on the bottom of the wheel and thus increase negative camber (lean the top in more). vice versa if you want to take camber out.

My 64 came from the factory without "heavy duty" suspension!

Can any member help me. I really want to get it right!!

Hopefully, I have used the correct "technical" language. If not, I apologize in advance--please no rude comments.

Thanks,

Rick
good luck. reference the A.I.M. - it helps with many questions if you're just learning.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 262 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm trying to figure out a polite and constructive way to let you know you might want to consider backing the lingo down just a notch. You know what they say about honey, flies and vinegar, don't you?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
rickcarson8500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 'Bone;

I follow you. However, I have read a number of replies ( to my postings and others) by some of these "helpful" members. Therein, I've found nothing but critism, negativity and remarks that are anything but helpful!
I always endeavor to personally thank or reply to those that have offered useful information BUT I find it very difficult to countenance those few that bring nothing to the table--they know who they are!!

Rick
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mudbone64
I'm trying to figure out a polite and constructive way to let you know you might want to consider backing the lingo down just a notch. You know what they say about honey, flies and vinegar, don't you?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

You say it has a full body off restoration. This leads me to believe the wrong front springs are in it as that is common to see after people put new front springs in. You usually see air between the tops of the tires and the fender lips from the side.

The solution won't happen until someone sees your car.

In 40 and 50 years that these cars have been around, all sorts of things have happened to them, so assuming anything just leads to problems.

Park the car on a flat surface. Many driveways have a slope, so you may need a flat parking lot somewhere. Take side pictures and front and rear pictures.

Take a picture of the rear suspension on each side so that the trailing arms, spring ends, and spring bolts are visible.

A decent quality picture will be 640x480 to 1600x1200 in size (150 kb to 1 Mb file size typically), although depending on how you crop them, the proportions can vary. Anything larger than 1600x1200 is unnecessary here and anything smaller than 640x480 isn't going to be very helpful.

Go to tinypic.com and upload the pictures one at a time.

Copy the link with the IMG tags on each end. You might want to paste them in a text file until you get ready to write a post on here, as it is very difficult to find these in tinypic.com again.

After you have uploaded your pictures, come here. Reply as normal and then paste the entire IMG link in the message. The [ and ] must be included.

Do not use the yellow photo icon (yellow box with mountains and sun) as you use a regular URL there.

Click Preview and see how it looks.

You can also measure and record the height to the center of each fender lip from the ground. People can compare yours to theirs and that can shed more light on what you have occurring.

No one here is impressed with Corvette gurus, especially self-proclaimed ones. You just had one of the best Corvette gurus around offer you help and you ignored it until he asked. #25

Why can no one help you so far? Easy, no one knows what is wrong. You could have:

1. Wrong front springs
2. Bent frame
3. Rusted out frame
4. Wrong rear spring
5. Rear spring adjusted wrong
6. Wrong rear spring bolts
7. Rear spring bolt cushions wrong or worn out (flat)
8. Worn out suspension bushings

Pictures will help find out what.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

If your car was restored with a new replacement spring? Chances are it is a cheap unit made in India and does not have the proper rate or height. Or your guru didn't have the old one re-arched.

Try Eaton Springs for a spring with proper ride height. A rear sag is not right for ANY year vette.

Or could be your front springs are too tall. Cutting a coil may solve that issue. Better yet get aquainted with the A.I.M and your suspension measurements and to make the measurements.

No pics,no accurate data= limited answers. This what happens when you have "Gurus" restore your Vette.

Believe it or not? You are hanging in the most knowledgeable auto Forum I know of. If you want solutions from this Forum, take a deep breath and re-approach.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 02-22-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Hey 'Bone;

I follow you. However, I have read a number of replies ( to my postings and others) by some of these "helpful" members. Therein, I've found nothing but critism, negativity and remarks that are anything but helpful!
I always endeavor to personally thank or reply to those that have offered useful information BUT I find it very difficult to countenance those few that bring nothing to the table--they know who they are!!

Rick

You need to get off the keyboard and get some pictures and answer some of the questions that's been asked of you and quit taking shots at those that are trying to help, some more than others. If you don't supply pictures or answer questions asked of you, you'll not get your answer here.

Nobody knows if your back end is low, your front end is high or it's your imagination. See post #48.

You are fiestier than any banty rooster I ever saw so go ahead and whip it on me!

Last edited by MikeM; 02-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM
climbabout
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 64 spring replacement

Rick - I recently replaced the rear spring on one of my 64's that was sitting too low and also had an incorect spring installed sometime along the way - this thread might be helpful:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-was-here.html

Tim
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Hey Dan;

Please, if it's not too much to ask, REREAD the original set of questions and then tell me what information you need to answer the question.

Where did you read that I did not have pics or other data--you're simply jumping to conclusions. Engage your brain before going ballistic on me!!
I and many others are still waiting to see the pictures and your suspension height measurements - they aren't here. My brain (and many others) is engaged - unfortunately you don't have any factual or substantive information to process as many have pointed out to you. You might try that advice yourself.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Mike M, I keep three roosters in separate cages and one on the loose. I know EXACTLY what you mean.
They no like listen. Tough to get em to calm down. Hope junior can.
Brgds,
Rene
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by rene-paul
mike m, i keep three roosters in separate cages and one on the loose. I know exactly what you mean.
They no like listen. Tough to get em to calm down. Hope junior can.
Brgds,
rene

Last edited by MikeM; 02-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Moderator - this thread is over. Rickcarson8500 already knows everything there is to know. Others cannot be capable of help.

Quick Reply: Do 64's sit "rear end" low?