C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

restomod bb header opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
cmb645
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default restomod bb header opinions please

Hey fellow enthusiasts; my 3 yr project is a 505 bb in a 66 roadster which I am approaching what I hope is it's completed makeover except for paint, (I always do things backwards). It's not exactly what you would call a restomod, as I used the existing, but beefed up frame, but, it has a lot of modern touches. A year or so back, I purchased the Sanderson block hugger headers, and I've had them on the engine for a while, running open, but, now I'm at the point of connecting them to my 2 1/2" ID vettpack side pipes. The pic shows the collector angle of the Sanderson's is towards the motor, and, the collector is farther down than needed and would require a "p trap" sort of arrangement to connect to the pipes which I believe would be power prohibitive. So, I purchased a set of McJack's stock replacement hand built headers which have 2" primaries, $800, but I haven't tried them yet, as I am wondering if his long tube side pipe headers with 1 3/4" primaries, $595, might be the better choice, (I'm thinking they may actually be Hedman that he recoats, I'm not sure?). The long tubes already point outwards towards the pipes, but the smaller primaries may be a problem? I'm not exactly a street racer, but I want to restrict the hp of the engine as little as possible. Also, the long tubes may be a fitment issue, as I have a steeroids rack, Jack didn't know for sure. So maybe someone has the longtubes with a rack and sidepipes, or the McJack's shorties with a rack and pipes who could chime in.
thanks for any comments
charles

Quick Reply: restomod bb header opinions please