C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Serial Numbers and Stencils on Mid Year Frames

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 AM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Serial Numbers and Stencils on Mid Year Frames

Hello,
I am going to replace my 63 Coupe Frame with a much better one I purchased a short time ago. My original frame has seen much better days in the past. My question is: Are there any photos of frame identification stenciling on this site? Saw some frames with identification stencils at Corvette shows but never photographed them (never thought to do it at the time).
Also, were there any serial numbers stamped on mid year frames? All of the mid year frames for sale that I saw were rusty.
All information will be greatly appreciated.
Richard
Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by wonderful
Hello,
I am going to replace my 63 Coupe Frame with a much better one I purchased a short time ago. My original frame has seen much better days in the past. My question is: Are there any photos of frame identification stenciling on this site? Saw some frames with identification stencils at Corvette shows but never photographed them (never thought to do it at the time).
Also, were there any serial numbers stamped on mid year frames? All of the mid year frames for sale that I saw were rusty.
All information will be greatly appreciated.
Richard
'63 frames had the frame part number and the A.O. Smith frame sequence number stenciled on the right side main rail, forward of the kickup. The numbers are upside-down in car position, with the frame part number closest to the ground. The '63 frame part number was 3819263, and the AOS sequence number was 303196-X, where "X" is a single digit between 1 and 5. Quanta can provide you a correct stencil. See photo below for stencil location (those are 66's, but the location was the same for '63).

All midyears had a derivative of the car's VIN stamped on the top surface of the frame, directly above the rear shock upper mount from '63-'65, and a second time about 12" forward of the kickup. It had an "S" followed by the last six digits of the VIN (see second photo below).
Attached Images   
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for this valuable information.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Mark Lovejoy
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm not sure if '63 is the same as '65 but here is a shot of the frame stensil on our convert.

Get notified of new replies

To Serial Numbers and Stencils on Mid Year Frames

Quick Reply: Serial Numbers and Stencils on Mid Year Frames