C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Corvette "Big Tank" 425HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is for sale, not the tank. I should have worded that better.

Sorry for the scattered parts. We are getting ready to attach the body to the frame, paint, get motor installed. The best is yet to come!

Last edited by ThorpesCorvettes; 05-29-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ThorpesCorvettes
We are getting ready to attach the body to the frame, paint, get motor installed. The best is yet to come!
I hope you don't do it in that order ;-)
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Haha absolutely not. Just summing things up. I expect to be finished in 30-45 days. I have no plans to take it to any shows, just want to finish this project up and put her on the market.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 AM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Some pics of when I got the car, all the original drivetrain components came in a box!

Last edited by ThorpesCorvettes; 03-11-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 AM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

sorry for all the edits!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Another great project! Here in finland there's one original Tank 66 as well. it's all original, very few miles, still with the same family, the original owner passed away few years ago and it now sits in his son's garage and doesn't get driven at all...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Added and fitted the hood. Ready for paint next week

Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Rick Gower
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Big Tank Status?

As weird as it sounds, we are selling the tank. It will be installed in the back of the car to factory standards. Hell, we're even gonna put the original engine in, along with all the numbers matching parts. That blue interior is so pretty I may keep it though.

Just a few shots of the frame. I think its really neat how the tires bow until you get some weight on the frame. When I handpainted the blue streaks on Tony Delorenzos L-88, the paint did not crack. This is what brought this to my attention. 40 years of working on Corvettes and I learn something new every day.

Sorry for the scattered parts. We are getting ready to attach the body to the frame, paint, get motor installed. The best is yet to come!
Tim,

Thanks for the great photos of both the L88 and the NOS cars. I am a little confused on the status of the big tank. Is it going back into the car? If not, can you share why? Big tank cars are an interesting and rare part of the corvette history.

Thanks again for the photos and please keep them coming.

Rick
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

I was making a joke. We are using the original tank I've shown pics of. The car is for sale.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Have you considered what the lousy ethenol based fuels will do to that big tank? Is anyone addressing the fuel problems with these old cars on leaking fiberglass tanks and rubber fuel hose. I hear it all goes to ''jelly'' if the car sits for more than 6 months.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by jimgessner
Have you considered what the lousy ethenol based fuels will do to that big tank? Is anyone addressing the fuel problems with these old cars on leaking fiberglass tanks and rubber fuel hose. I hear it all goes to ''jelly'' if the car sits for more than 6 months.
Jim, I would love to know what the solution to this problem is if there is one. If it were mine, I would only use leaded race fuel although it would be an expensive fill up.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

the E-10 will desolve the resin in the fuel tank jus like it did in older boats and you will find pieces of fiberglass strands in the fuel system.

Last edited by PAmotorman; 03-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

When you get into the high-dollar Corvettes, typically they are not driven. Most of these sit in a collection somewhere. If I was building it for personal use I would probably get a remake for the tank. Something we are facing with our restoration is that with the original tank, we do not know the contents of what is inside. We do not want to cut into the tank for cleaning and mess with the originality of the tank. When I drive my cars I usually put $20 worth of 93octane mixed with $40 of 110octane & when im finished I have just enough gas to get to the station the next time. Im sure a car like this that is more on the rare side of the corvette world will be driven too much. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

TT
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

When you get into the high-dollar Corvettes, typically they are not driven. Most of these sit in a collection somewhere. If I was building it for personal use I would probably get a remake for the tank. Something we are facing with our restoration is that with the original tank, we do not know the contents of what is inside. We do not want to cut into the tank for cleaning and mess with the originality of the tank. When I drive my cars I usually put $20 worth of 93octane mixed with $40 of 110octane & when im finished I have just enough gas to get to the station the next time. Im sure a car like this that is more on the rare side of the corvette world will be driven too much. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

TT
People I talk to say ''USE 100% LEADED 108 RACING FUEL '' if you can find it. I like your work Tim and dedication to the hobby. I will forward you additional info on solutions to this problem as I hear more.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Getting ready for paint. We have had a hell of time finding a perfect match to the blue. Paint just isnt how it used to be, for better & worse.

Last edited by ThorpesCorvettes; 05-29-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

People I talk to say ''USE 100% LEADED 108 RACING FUEL '' if you can find it. I like your work Tim and dedication to the hobby. I will forward you additional info on solutions to this problem as I hear more.
Dang Jim, that's all I use. I must be ahead of the game....(and it helps a bit with knock suppression too)
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 PM
tjstarduster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice photos, should make a great restoration. One question, I notice the battery cable clip on the lower firewall is missing. Weren't those on all big blocks?

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Corvette "Big Tank" 425HP

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Will this be a show paint job or NCRS imperfect? ;-)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Working on the paint now. Nothing looks right because of the fake light inside the booth. Sand. Buff. Sand. Buff. Sand. Buff.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
ThorpesCorvettes
Instructor

Fitting the rear pieces. Going to try and have the back half of the car ready to go in a week or so. LOTS of updates coming soon. Its been in kind of a boring stage but will be a lot of fun soon!

Quick Reply: 66 Corvette "Big Tank" 425HP