C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

need advice building a 65 with LS7, T56, stock frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 PM
glenandsonja
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice building a 65 with LS7, T56, stock frame

I'm building a 1965 convertible restomod with LS7 engine donated from a 2008 Z06, a new T56 trans, with stock frame and body. I have several concerns about clearance and need advice from others who have done similar builds. Here's my questions/concerns:

1) Will the LS7 fit if I use the street and performance mount plates, stock oil pan (dry sump), and vintage air brackets and components (AC on lower passenger side, power steering with integrated reservoir on upper drivers side)? The water pump is on the lower passenger side and probably hits the frame rail, but street and performance offers a few options for this.

2) For the dry sump tank, I’m assuming I’ll have to mount this in the passenger fender well, but since my stock tank from the 2008 Z06 donor is too tall can someone recommend a place that can modify these, or maybe recommend an after-market tank that would fit and work with the LS7?

3) I’d like to use the street and performance headers (with side pipes), but will they clear everything? S&P advertises them as a drop-in for the LS7 in a C2, but does someone have experience actually using them?

4) I’d like to put in rack and pinion steering – there are several drop-in’s advertised out there, but once again will these fit, especially with the LS7 and headers?

5) I’ve heard that the T56 will fit in the tunnel with no modifications other than a new crossmember (from S&P), and maybe the shifter relocator – is this really true?

I’d love to find someone who has done this same build (65, LS7 with dry sump, T56, stock frame…
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Maybe use wet sump??

No personal knowledge here...but there was an article in Hot Rod mag about LS swaps. FWIW I think they mentioned that you can convert LS7 to wet sump, search for the writeup like 6-12 months ago.

Also it tells of part numbers, pans, info etc
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM
glenandsonja
Heel & Toe

Yes you can convert the LS7 to wet sump (S&P sells a kit), but I'd rather stick with dry if I can.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
semel1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at
http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/tanks.html
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM
rahaul
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the T56 does fit the tunnel. Good choice. Mine is behind a LS6 BBC. Bolted right to it. The shifter does come up in a different location on my application. I modified the original console piece. You will lose the ash tray.

I did this conversion 20 yr ago. The T56 was used (1200 mi ) and have added over 100,000 miles since then. Using synthetic fluid for next 100K.

If haven't already figured out how you will convert the T56 magnetic impulse to your cable drive speedometer let me know.

Are you using HEI?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

While you are working on the build, I would pull the heads on the LS7 and check the valve guides. There are issues with the guides and exhaust valves on this engine. Check out the c6 Z06 section on this forum. The LS7 is a great engine but there are issues you need to be aware of. Mark
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by semel1
A couple options to look into:
http://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/...ump-tanks.html
http://www.drysump.com/Gallon%20Tanks.htm
Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Watch youtube, search : corvette joe alaska videos.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 AM
FUNTYM
5th Gear

I'm presently in the process of performing the exact same conversion - dry sump LS7, T56 in a stock 1965 frame.
Did you complete the conversion?
How far did you get with the conversion?
Would love to hear how you made out.
Would like to use your experience doing such mod's
Many thanx
FUNTYM
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
glenandsonja
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FUNTYM
I'm presently in the process of performing the exact same conversion - dry sump LS7, T56 in a stock 1965 frame.
Did you complete the conversion?
How far did you get with the conversion?
Would love to hear how you made out.
Would like to use your experience doing such mod's
Many thanx
FUNTYM
It depends on what you want to do with the suspension/brakes/tires. If you want to stay stock then the original frame will work great, but if you want matching performance (to keep up with the LS7/T56) then I'd recommend an aftermarket frame. If you try to run upgraded suspension/brakes/tires on the original frame it will cost you a ton since they are specialized parts, and every time you have to replace something you have to keep buying the same expensive parts. However if you upgrade to an aftermarket frame you can use modern/stock corvette parts which are mass produced and lower cost, and you get modern performance. The aftermarket frame should also allow wider tires on the back, assuming you're ok tubbing the rear compartment. I ended up getting a frame from Mike at SRIII Frames. It was expensive, but about the same as if I had bought upgraded parts for the original frame. The difference is that I can easily replace parts as needed, I get a better/lighter frame, plus the wider tires (345-30-19s). You also end up with a little more room in the engine compartment, which helps finding a spot for that dry sump!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Gonzo_65_L76
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Resurrecting this thread. Hopefully there's more data available since Jan, 2014.

My new shop with lift will be finished at the end of May. I'm looking forward to dropping an LS7 into my '65 convertible. Looks like there are a few of you that have already done this, or at least are in the process. Are there any updates folks can share?

Specifically, I'd love to see some recommendations and pics for dry sump tanks.

Thanks,
Mike.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

LS-X conversions on this forum have been posted tons of times...all the info you are looking for is here...just do a search and you will find volumes of threads that have the details you want.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 03-30-2015, 04:56 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo_65_L76
Resurrecting this thread. Hopefully there's more data available since Jan, 2014.

My new shop with lift will be finished at the end of May. I'm looking forward to dropping an LS7 into my '65 convertible. Looks like there are a few of you that have already done this, or at least are in the process. Are there any updates folks can share?

Specifically, I'd love to see some recommendations and pics for dry sump tanks.

Thanks,
Mike.
Someone in my area successfully installed an LS9 in a 1967 Corvette two years ago. He constantly complains about how he can't get traction even though he has widened rear quarters and offset trailing arms to accommodate wide tires. I can give you info on how to contact him if you email me.

With a T56, you should have a 2.72, 3.08 or 3.36 axle.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 03-30-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To need advice building a 65 with LS7, T56, stock frame

Quick Reply: need advice building a 65 with LS7, T56, stock frame