C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 restomod

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:45 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

I have always liked this engine set up. One of my favorites!

It is nice to see the creativity in dressing up the LS engines.
The following users liked this post:
chgc267 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 AM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 131 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 70mph@2200rpm
Engine bay looks very cool.
In the last photo I can see the alloy rims of my Aston Martin which is parked just in front of your car. Mike had said that he would take a small sample from my leather interior and ask that you to give it to the Ogden trim shop when you drive over. However, that was many weeks ago and now with the snow, etc., I guess he should just mail it over to them.
So you are the one...That's a nice car! I was checking it out when it was on a lift on a previous vist and thought Mike had done work on the chassis..He told me no, that it was all stock..Pretty nice set up for a car that old! You're putting an LS in that, correct? I have not been to Ogden since early Sept, I'll be happy to take over any samples for you needed.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:28 AM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
I have always liked this engine set up. One of my favorites!

It is nice to see the creativity in dressing up the LS engines.
Thanks, I appreciate the Kudos! I'm really happy with the way it's turned out. The detail work under the hood is quite impressive!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:35 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

It's been a while since I've updated...so here is the latest. More detail work in the engine compartment has been completed. Mike rerouted the wiring for the coils. They used to be routed from the top of the valve covers (see previous pics), are now relocated to the rear and the holes on the top of the valve covers were plugged to keep the look as clean as possible. Mike also made lines for the PCV and routed those into a catch can which is hidden under the drivers side front fender. The reservoir for the hydraulic clutch is right next to that. An overflow tank for the radiator was also fabricated to fit down low near the radiator and painted the same satin black as the engine compartment...It fits like a glove in that area!

I didn't like the look of the back up light above the license plate so we've also been experimenting with different looks for a fifth break light in that area right now. I ordered the push button start / alarm system from Digital Guard Dawg (thanks dcaggiani for that idea!) It's designed to work just like the push button start in a Lexus, which I have, and I love. I'll be able to add a Mercury switch to it and I'll also add a gps tracking systems or added security. I also included a pic of the e-brake button which was located to where the lighter used to be..."Lighter" script will eventually be removed.

j

Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Amazing how small details take a long time! I finally got things sorted out with the center part of the dash. After going back and forth….back & forth...I decided to ditch the Mercedes vents and go with a different look. I checked the aftermarket for ***** as well as options Vintage Air has for ***** and A/C controllers…and I didn't like any of them. One night I caught the episode of Jay Leno's garage where Jay takes Joe Roggan's '65 restomod for a spin. I liked what Joe did with his ***** for his Vintage Air system (The wheels… not so much). The look was clean and simple (no clock, no radio). I checked w/ Pure Vision, who reworked his interior, and they told me they custom made the indicators & had a wrap made that went on top of the indicators for each of Temp, Fan & Vent indicators. I was at the Bloomington Gold show, I while I was walking through the area inside where vendors had set up. One and of them, CarArtWork Inc. made custom things out of stainless steel...and that's when the light bulb went off.
I had them make me indicators out of polished stainless the same size as the original indicators. I gave them a sample after I had to run to the nearest vendor and buy indicators and bring them back so I could explain what I needed. They laser etched the custom graphics in the stainless pieces for me. The etching is deep enough to get some paint inside so the graphics pop out.

I'm going to use the ***** from a '66 Corvette because they are much smaller in diameter than the '67 and that area won't look crowded. The '66 ***** also have the recessed black area inside the **** which also kind of ties into the area where the cigarette lighter was replaced w/ the e-brake. I'm having a buddy who does graphic arts make a "Parking Brake" decal that will go over the green light so when it's activated "Parking Brake" will light up in that recessed area instead of that big bright green light. This also makes that red start button stand out more….I love it! I also wanted to fill in the area below the ***** so I had Classic Instruments custom make a smaller clock that matched the gauges with a polished stainless bezel instead of the black bezels I used on the gauges. The stereo will be mounted in back and I'll be able to control it w/ my Iphone. All the connections/plugs will be under the arm rest.

I got the dash and coves from Ogden Top as well as the gauge cluster and glove box door from Roger Scott a little more than a week ago and they look great! Another change I’m making on the interior is I am ditching the C5 seats (along w/ some Corbeau's I bought) and using the originals. John at Ogden is going to use the original frames to custom make seats with added bolsters. Can't wait to see them! The car is almost ready for the rest of the interior to be installed.

One of the last details will be to make something that will conceal the wires for the fuel injection which are currently zip tied to the fuel rails. I described what I'm thinking we can make to conceal as much wiring as possible…Kind of a junction box in the back w/ long tubes under the fuel rails which will have the wires inside. It will be painted black so it blends in. Mike liked the idea so he’s drawing a quick picture of what I was describing and he’ll fabricate something for this area. Another detail I added is I blacked out the entire grill except for the outer edge and it came out nice! The screen for the front speaker still needs to be repainted and the pieces around the shifter are not finished yet. I am also using a different steering wheel. The one in the pics makes it feel like I'm driving a bus....another thing I have to think about. Enjoy the pics!
Attached Images          
Old 10-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Probie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stunning work. Very well thought out and executed.
Would you please refresh me on your dash guage brand and source. Simple but very approppriate.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:39 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

chgc267 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Great car!
chgc267 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Probie
Stunning work. Very well thought out and executed.
Would you please refresh me on your dash guage brand and source. Simple but very approppriate.
Probie, thanks! The gauges are from Classic Instruments in Michigan. They were custom made for me. I borrowed elements of their Autocross gauges for the the Speedo, Tach & the fonts and combined them w/ the look Velocity Black series. They sent me around 1/2 dozen proofs before I finally settled on the final look. I also had to pay them extra $$ to remove their logos from the gauges and clock for an even cleaner look.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by chgc267
Probie, thanks! The gauges are from Classic Instruments in Michigan. They were custom made for me. I borrowed elements of their Autocross gauges for the the Speedo, Tach & the fonts and combined them w/ the look Velocity Black series. They sent me around 1/2 dozen proofs before I finally settled on the final look. I also had to pay them extra $$ to remove their logos from the gauges and clock for an even cleaner look.
Super nice, I love those wheels....I would really like to know where the wiring for the lights and motors were run....? I am building a 67 using a SRIII frame and intend to run the front light wiring along the frame from the bulk head....how is yours routed? also where did you put the ECM for the LS?.....thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:02 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vjjack04
Super nice, I love those wheels....I would really like to know where the wiring for the lights and motors were run....? I am building a 67 using a SRIII frame and intend to run the front light wiring along the frame from the bulk head....how is yours routed? also where did you put the ECM for the LS?.....thanks.
Thanks! I'm really not sure how the wiring for the lights and motors were run, check with Mike since he did the work...Same for the ECM. I do know the ECM is located behind the dash somewhere.... I'm not sure exactly where. I may have a picture somewhere so I'll post one up for you if I can find one. Sorry about that.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:22 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
I like your truck just got this one
Attached Images   
Old 10-10-2017, 08:26 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
I like your truck just got this one
Sweet truck! 54? I've been looking for one like that for a while now.

Last edited by biggd; 10-10-2017 at 08:28 AM.
rtruman (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Beautiful work! Clearly you and Mike are very detailed!
chgc267 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the latest update...with pics! The first couple pics show what Mike & I designed to conceal all those fuel injector wires (pic in post #165)...It came out looking better than I thought...Nice and clean!! After looking at all the steering wheels out there (Momo, Nardi, Grant..and any other manufacturer I could find) I settled on a C3 wheel that was already wrapped in black leather w/ brush spokes ..it looks great! I think the look goes well with the rest of the car. You can also see the speedo and tach perfectly from the drivers point of view. Pictured is also a sneak preview of the one-off seats I am having made using the stock frames. There is still a little trimming, and I need also need to see how I fit, but they look great! The seats will be wrapped in the same black leather as the dash and coves. The insides of both seats will be perforated leather and have a pattern similar to '66 seats. I was asked by vjjack04 where the ECM was located...You can see in the 3rd picture the unit is where the radio would normally be. I believe mine is smaller than a LS ECM due to the intake I am using. The stereo/amps & Optima battery are located in the back under the decklid and the stereo will be controlled via blue tooth through my I phone.
Attached Images          
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Probie
Intermediate

Thankyou. Definitely worth the extra time and $.

Originally Posted by chgc267
Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Update 12/3

I finally got to take the car for a spin over the weekend! I also got to see it outside on a Sunny day finally too. The blue really looks great out in the sun! I love how it changes tones depending on the suns angles and even under florescent lights.

First driving impression...it's Fast! It's pretty loud too..You'll definitely here me coming! The sound from the motor sucking in all that air through those injectors almost sounds like a supercharger and the exhaust has a great note to it too! Stepping on the gas, letting up and then stepping on it again made it run rough though. I was told I'm going to need to drive it around a bit so the computer can actually learn. The computer has only a few miles on it even with my test drive. We had to send the 1st computer back because it turned out to be defective. I was told it might take a couple hundred miles for it learns. It will improve a little with each time. We located tuning module in the glove box. You can also see a little **** in that lower left hand corner of the glove box. The **** is for setting the clock. The TKO is going to take a little getting used to as well.. We only need to button up some details before its off to the upholstery shop for the finishing touches!
Attached Images           
The following 2 users liked this post by chgc267:
RJ1 (12-09-2017), USMC 0802 (12-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 67 restomod

Old 12-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Probie
Intermediate

Absolutely stunning ...

[QUOTE=chgc267;1596099905]I finally got to take the car for a spin over the weekend! I also got to see it outside on a Sunny day finally too. The blue really looks great out in the sun! I love how it changes tones depending on the suns angles and even under florescent lights.
chgc267 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Absolutely stunning ...
Only word that I could think of that was appropriate.
The color, stance, and wheel/tire combination is nothing short of perfect.
chgc267 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:28 PM
chgc267
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Absolutely stunning ...

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Only word that I could think of that was appropriate.
The color, stance, and wheel/tire combination is nothing short of perfect.
Thanks Guys!! It's been a long road! Now I can feel confident when I tell my friends I'll have it for sure next spring...I stopped saying that a couple years ago!

Last edited by chgc267; 12-04-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 67 restomod