C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Car won't run right.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car won't run right.

I have a 63 convertable with a 69 350 under the hood. I took it out for bout an hour last Sunday and it ran fine. The car always runs great. Went to go for a ride today and it was like a different car. A little hard to start , ran very rough, lots of black smoke and it wouldn't idle.I was shocked , it was perfect when I shut it off last week.
I pulled a spark plug and it didn't look good. I replaced all plugs. It started better, but still didn't run right. It's getting lots of fuel(holly 650),but it doesn't seem to be getting enough spark. I pulled a plug and held it against the manifold while my son cranked it. The was spark, but it seemed weak and intermitant. Now ,it cranks real fast , but doesn't want to start. If I hold the peddle to the floor, it will start, but still runs rough and won't idle.
I'm lost, What could it be? Could the petronix have cooked? Is it possible that the timing jumped?
I've had the car for about 8 years and never experience anything like this.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Choke stuck on? That would explain the black smoke, poor idle and if the cylinders are washed with fuel the faster cranking.

Tom
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

Choke is not on.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Is the carb dripping gas internally? How hard is it to swap out the petronix unit and put the points back in for a test?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

The carb does drip a small amount for a minute or two. Don't know how hard it is to switch back. Not sure that I'd want to. think I'd rather replace the current set up. Just can't figure it out. What can go wrong while the car is just sitting there?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Make sure the distributor hold down bolt didn't loosen.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

I checked it. Still tight.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Maybe the fuel filter.......? Strange that it went from running perfect to crap unless it was something along those lines....
Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 PM
ren
Burning Brakes

It's like the car was possessed. Very frusrating.Today was the first nice day that we've had.I was really looking forward to cruising with the top down. Coincidently, there was another problem. Probably unrelated. I have a cd player mounted in the glove box. It worked perfect last week.Didn't seem to be getting power today. Checked all connections and fuses.Everything looked OK. I wasn't upset. I was counting on the sidepipes to provide the music.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

May want to check for vacuum leaks. Check the line to your advance, check base of carb etc.........
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Flooding carb leaky needle valve. Most hollys have level plugs to check float level. Turn motor off and remove level plug if fuel comes out float set to high our leaking needle valve.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

If float lvel is ok check for power valve leak sometimes they can stick open after carb backfire.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll try to check that tonight. I'm hoping that I can find a local mechanic willing to make a housecall. Don't want to try to drive it to a repair shop and the thought of having it towed scares me.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ren
Thanks, I'll try to check that tonight. I'm hoping that I can find a local mechanic willing to make a housecall. Don't want to try to drive it to a repair shop and the thought of having it towed scares me.
You may want to find an old drag racer or stock car racer , any of the current mechanics wouldn't know what a carb is .
Bill
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 AM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 382 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ren
The carb does drip a small amount for a minute or two.
Where is this drip? There should be no drips anywhere. Does the tailpipe smell like raw gas after running/cranking? As noted above, sounds like it's flooding.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm thinking the same as 6T7L71CPE. I hate these old Holley Carbs for the problems they are inherent to. The issue should not have occurred overnight. That said, what else could it be? Did you gas up the car? Try tapping on the fuel bowls to loosen a stuck float. If the car starts run up the RPM's a little to clear the plugs of excess fuel. How old is the Timing Chain? It could be electrical but I'm thinking Holley related. Al W. Please let us know the cure!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Make sure you're heat riser valve isn't stuck in the closed position on the passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't run right.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
ren
Burning Brakes

The carb. is about 5 years old. Never had any issues. I always add some type of additive to the fuel, usually Lucas. I'll check for leaks tonight. All vaccum hoses are 6 to 7 years old. I might have found someone to come to the house. I've used him before. He is good with carb and ignition issues. His speciality is old Fords/Mercs. The principles are the same. His bill is determined by how much beer I give him.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
Where is this drip? There should be no drips anywhere. Does the tailpipe smell like raw gas after running/cranking? As noted above, sounds like it's flooding.

You will find your problem is a pissing carb. Being very careful, get a helper to get it running, get your face over the carb (with safety glasses on & fire extinguisher handy) and try to keep it running while looking down the carb throat. If you see fuel dripping from anywhere, there is your problem.

Dan
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by ren
It's like the car was possessed. Very frusrating.Today was the first nice day that we've had.I was really looking forward to cruising with the top down. Coincidently, there was another problem. Probably unrelated. I have a cd player mounted in the glove box. It worked perfect last week.Didn't seem to be getting power today. Checked all connections and fuses.Everything looked OK. I wasn't upset. I was counting on the sidepipes to provide the music.

Went to go for a ride today and it was like a different car. A little hard to start , ran very rough, lots of black smoke and it wouldn't idle.I was shocked , it was perfect when I shut it off last week.
I pulled a spark plug and it didn't look good. I replaced all plugs. It started better, but still didn't run right. It's getting lots of fuel(holly 650),but it doesn't seem to be getting enough spark. I pulled a plug and held it against the manifold while my son cranked it. The was spark, but it seemed weak and intermitant. Now ,it cranks real fast , but doesn't want to start. If I hold the peddle to the floor, it will start, but still runs rough and won't idle.
I'm lost, What could it be? Could the petronix have cooked? Is it possible that the timing jumped?

Bad battery or corrosion causing a weak spark maybe?

Quick Reply: Car won't run right.