C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default C2 Oil Change

All you guys who are like me and do your own oil changes ext. and other things because you don't trust the yahoos at Jiffy lub or where ever, I have a question for you. How do you get the oil canester to fit back on after you change oil and put a new filter in the canester without it spitting oil out when you fire it up. Last time I did it I lost 7 qt. of oil and then went to NAPA and bought an adapter for a screw on oil filter. I would like to keep the original oil filter canester but with the price of oil it is cheaper to buy the after market adapter. How do you do it??
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
All you guys who are like me and do your own oil changes ext. and other things because you don't trust the yahoos at Jiffy lub or where ever, I have a question for you. How do you get the oil canester to fit back on after you change oil and put a new filter in the canester without it spitting oil out when you fire it up. Last time I did it I lost 7 qt. of oil and then went to NAPA and bought an adapter for a screw on oil filter. I would like to keep the original oil filter canester but with the price of oil it is cheaper to buy the after market adapter. How do you do it??
I'd buy an oil filter (brand is your choice), twist it on and drive away.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's happened to me once in forty years, and it was my own fault. I didn't check the block and clean out the groove enough and that's what happened. I found an old rubber gasket in the groove that must have been there for years, and I broke it by trying to clean the groove. Make sure it's spic and span, and stick the new one in the groove evenly with a light coat of oil, and don't over tighten the canister.

And don't bother to fill up the canister when you install it. There's plenty of oil film on the parts for protection during the 15 seconds it takes to fill up on startup.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Remove filter canister.

Using a small pick tool or screw driver pull old rubber seal out of the groove in the block.

Make sure it is all out then install new rubber seal. It helps to put a little grease on the seal to help it stay.

Fill canister most way with oil then screw the canister bolt in and do not over tighten.

Done right they never leak.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
Remove filter canister.

Using a small pick tool or screw driver pull old rubber seal out of the groove in the block.

Make sure it is all out then install new rubber seal. It helps to put a little grease on the seal to help it stay.

Fill canister most way with oil then screw the canister bolt in and do not over tighten.

Done right they never leak.
Yep.

Sometimes we forget about that rubber "O" ring seal. I use a dental pick to get it out.

I make sure that the groove is clean.

I install the new "O" ring lightly coated with oil, fill the cannister 1/2 way with oil, and screw it snugly into place.

I've heard that some folks have found 1-2 "extra" "O" rings up there. No wonder the cannister won't seal.

Chuck
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

In addition..................

I spin the can/bolt on until the can just about touches the block "O" ring then I shove the can straight up against the "O" ring and hold it while I secure the bolt. This helps keep the spinning can from knocking the "O" ring off location.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I did what you did years ago. Not because I couldn't get the canister to seal but I just found it more convenient to change oil with the spin on unit.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by MikeM

I spin the can/bolt on until the can just about touches the block "O" ring then I shove the can straight up against the "O" ring and hold it while I secure the bolt. This helps keep the spinning can from knocking the "O" ring off location.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Right on the money
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Because I don't have a lift to put my cars up on, I think I will just go to NAPA and buy an adapter for it and use a screw on filter. I will save the canester and if and when I sell the car let the new owner have the canester. Yeah, that sounds like a plan to me.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Because I don't have a lift to put my cars up on, I think I will just go to NAPA and buy an adapter for it and use a screw on filter. I will save the canester and if and when I sell the car let the new owner have the canester. Yeah, that sounds like a plan to me.

Bill
Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

although the spin ons are easier to install, if you simply remove the by pass plate for the canister, it makes it easier to deal with the sometimes pesky rubber seal.....it either stays in the block, which you can scratch out with a finger nail or it sticks to the plate.
install the rubber to the plate and re install the plate. use a 7/16 socket and extension to access the two bolts and the same tool to insert in the large hole in the plate to pry it out.
this method was taught at the GM training center in the early sixties....
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Kerrmudgeon;1583625386]That's happened to me once in forty years, and it was my own fault. I didn't check the block and clean out the groove enough and that's what happened. I found an old rubber gasket in the groove that must have been there for years, and I broke it by trying to clean the groove. Make sure it's spic and span, and stick the new one in the groove evenly with a light coat of oil, and don't over tighten the canister.

I only had this problem once and it was due to what Kerrmudgeon describes. I also do what Mike describes. This not only sets it correctly but it also allows you to have the screening facing how you want it.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:35 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go "Spin-On", and upgrade to a PF35 from the PF25 - DONE! Cannister on the shelf, next to your Holley carburetor (sorry Boys, I couldn't resist)...
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TheGanzman
Go "Spin-On", and upgrade to a PF35 from the PF25 - DONE! Cannister on the shelf, next to your Holley carburetor (sorry Boys, I couldn't resist)...
my Holley and any canister are both on the car... seems to run just fine.

if you use the canister, avoid 'plastic' filters, WIX makes a real nice filer with a metal can.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

YUP !! I thought that was my idea, it does work
Old 04-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Well all in all changed over. Yep for $20.00 I have put on an adaptor from NAPA and a Fram PH 30 spin on oil filter on it. Now the 6 is not original any more. Pet that will pee off the NCRS guys, but I did save the canester and the bolts and it can be put back on so now it is time to take her out to play.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Oil Change

Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Remember that there is more filtering media and therefore filtering of the oil with the original canister type. Just sayin!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Mike,
I have a spin on on my 65 but canisters on my other cars and have never had a leak.
I think the key is to do as stated above, clean, install new rubber seal, etc.
Then when you start putting the canister on use the bolt to start attaching the canister.
Then hold the canister and do not spin it, pull it up with the bolt and your done
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Remember that there is more filtering media and therefore filtering of the oil with the original canister type. Just sayin!
Trust me the oil will probably not see 3000 mls before it gets another oil change. At most it would be 3000 mls for next oil change.

Quick Reply: C2 Oil Change