C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Gbirnbaum
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 battery issue

My 63 battery won't keep a charge...battery is new, alternator and voltage regulator have been replaced....any advice?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Gbirnbaum
6th Gear

4-5 days...seems to start and run fine....then starter seems to turn slower and draw a lot of power
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbirnbaum
My 63 battery won't keep a charge...battery is new, alternator and voltage regulator have been replaced....any advice?
They may be new, but how do you know if they're working? Charge the battery first, then put your VOM (set on volts) leads across the battery terminals (engine off) - a fully-charged battery will read 12.4-12.6 volts. Now start it, run it at 1200 rpm, and connect the VOM leads again - should show 13.6-14.4 volts if the system is charging.

What does your battery gauge indicate when the engine is running?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

New batteries can be bad. I had abad battery in my 63 SWC several years ago and after taking it out I went and bought a new Interstate Battery. To tired to install it I did check it and it read 12 V at about 5:00pm and I put it in my wood work bench and the next morning re-checked it again just for kicks and I was glad I did, it was down to 10.5V so I took it back and got another one and did the same thing as far as leaving it set over night on my work bench. Next morning it checked out OK 12V and I installed it and was great till I sold it and I guess it is still fine. So yes, new batteries can be bad. Oh my old battery had a bad cell in it.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Gbirnbaum
6th Gear

Thanks...I can tell you that while the meter was showing 12.6 with ignition off, even with car running it continued to show the same volts...and the ammeter in the car sows negative volts when using the windows, headlights, etc....but never shows positive volts...
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

..and the ammeter in the car sows negative volts when using the windows, headlights, etc....but never shows positive volts...
A minor detail about terminology:

The Ammeter registers Amps, not Volts.

When the Ammeter needle swings to the left, current, is flowing out of the battery and vice versa when the needle swings to the right. Amps, indicated on the Ammeter tell you the rate at which current is flowing, either into or out of the battery.

Jim
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Gbirnbaum
6th Gear

thanks...I actually knew that...I simply was wanting to relate the fact that the meter was always showing negative flow when using anything electric on the car, but never shows a positive flow at any stage
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Gbirnbaum
6th Gear

let me restate my 4-5 day claim as I performed my own little test...I charged the battery and let it sit for 4 days then tried to start it...it started perfectly...after driving around for 2 days thereafter, the battery died...so it seems that if the car sits after charging, the battery holds the charge...it only seems to lose the charge after its been driven a bit. does this make any sense?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

My guess would be alternator not charging. Simple test is to start engine and the disconnect the positive battery cable. If the engine dies--no alternator charge. If it keeps running you'll have to expand your search. Never showing a positive flow on amp gage also suggest alt. or voltage regulator. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Do JohnZ's test in post #5 above. Disconnecting the battery on a running car is a very bad practice. It usually works on classic cars but is a real bad habit to get in to.

The battery acts as "ballast" in the charging circuit and needs to be there with the motor running:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_...ct_battery.htm

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-08-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I had a bad diode in my alt and it would bleed back when the car was off. It would still charge while running but only problem is when it sat. I disconnected the Alt and let it sit and found out it was the problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
kingwoodvette
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Frankie, I know this but poster seems reluctant to run John Z's test procedure.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I charged the battery and let it sit for 4 days then tried to start it...it started perfectly...after driving around for 2 days thereafter, the battery died...so it seems that if the car sits after charging, the battery holds the charge...it only seems to lose the charge after its been driven a bit. does this make any sense?
This makes perfect sense. Your battery is not being charged, your charging system has failed. If it sits, no draw present, charge remains. If you drive it, all car electrics are drawing on battery but no charge going in to battery, hence loses charge. As stated in JohnZ post above to answer this question All You Need Do is put your voltmeter on the battery when your car is running. It should be 13.6-14.4V if it is not, there is your answer. Fault with v-reg or alt. Let us know
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Gbirnbaum
6th Gear

Thanks...it's as a I though...meter showing constant volts around 12.6... Replaced the voltage regulator and still the same....must be a bad alternator....thanks for everyone's advice!

Get notified of new replies

To 63 battery issue

Quick Reply: 63 battery issue