C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

help me evaluate this 64

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
Hmm.. this one is pretty much in the condition I am searching for. Nice paint but not too perfect. The paint work is limited to the hood and hardtop. Most everything I can do myself (not paint).

Not sure how many parts are missing. Carb, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, air cleaner for sure.

I'll check the latest Mecum data, but you have to add 10% premium. That's almost $4k to this price! Right?

I've passed on a few already and see a lot of dogs out there. Just viewed a 66 coupe yesterday in similar condition but wrong color and they won't budge much off $42k.

More opinions please!!
The premium is 13%, 7% for seller and 6% for buyer. You can argue who is paying what but for a $50k car, the seller gets $46.5k and the buyer pays $53k.

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 PM
futura
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Sounds like a fair deal. I've got a similar 64, same paint and interior codes plus a hardtop but mine is only a 300 hp. I still really like the color. I live in Northern CT if you ever want to compare notes.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Notice that the dust flaps for the upper A-arms are missing. Look at where they are supposed to be stapled. Are there staple holes? No staple holes tells me the inner fender panels are replaced and the front hit was not minor. Check for the bonding strips above the wheel arch lips.
There was a bonding stripo n both sides along the fender .. not sure about the wheel well. Price is 35-37.

Still unsure....
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM
gccch
Drifting

Originally Posted by jerhofer
It's the right color!! Do you do your own work?
I can do the mechanical work. Everything except body paint.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 AM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

just an opinion,
42k is too high in this market ...
I bought a very nice non matching 65 coupe in April for 27k
great time to buy, not a great time to sell...
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 PM
gccch
Drifting

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
As noted above, car was final assembled approximately on Jan 3, 1964.
http://www.stl-vettes.com/65Vette/bday.htm

The TRIM tag indicates:

E9 = Body built on January 9 (???) Is that really an E9?
No it is E3.

I left this one for a few days to think it over. Seller and I are within 2k but not closing. The evidence of an accident has turned me off only a little. It's still a very presentable matching number with a nice engine option. Seems like the car for me but i do not want to over pay.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
gccch
Drifting

Notice that the dust flaps for the upper A-arms are missing. Look at where they are supposed to be stapled. Are there staple holes? No staple holes tells me the inner fender panels are replaced and the front hit was not minor. Check for the bonding strips above the wheel arch lips.
This is exactly the kind of insight I need! So I can see in my pics the drivers side clearly has staple holes. The passenger side I don't have as good a pic but Looking just beneath the hood support I can see behind the alternator there appears to be a staple location and also a possible repair but the pic is from too far away. I'm now home and on a big screen it's a little better...
Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
gccch
Drifting

So I have checked Mecum results from Indy and there is one similar car that sold for $35k (net $37k) with a completely detailed matching number engine. This one is very comparable otherwise. I'm thinking 35k is about right for my offer. I will need to buy several expensive engine items and do a lot of work to get to the level of the Mecum car. But it will be a nice rare example...
Old 05-23-2013, 12:03 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I plan to bring it through flight judging and hope to work on PV (more interested in PV than flight points)

Price is high 30s. Still negotiating.
It looks like a decent car, and if it can be bought for in the mid $30's, it's probably a fair deal.

The problem I see, is if you are thinking about possibly getting a Top Flight someday, you will easily put another $30.000+ in it! Even going for a PV, you will probably drop $5,000 in the car.

To start with, you'll have to return the car to completely original condition. This means you will need to install the correct intake, carb, air cleaner, choke, oil fill tube and cap, PCV, alternator, exhaust manifolds, shielding, etc. It will all need to function, as original too. Through the hole in the core support, there appears to be an oil cooler (??), that would need to be removed (it's the wrong support too, likely a GM service replacement). You will also need to replace the radials, with a set of bias ply tires.

Beyond bringing the car back to original, to get a PV, everything on the car has to work the same as the day that the car was new. The radio can't have any static in it, when turning on or changing channels. The windows and vents, have to open and close smoothly, with no play in the handles. The gauges have to work, and read correctly. All of the lamps, wipers, washers, seat tracks, shifter, ash tray, locks, glove box, heater/defroster, and on and on; must function perfectly.

Between entrants fees, hotels, gas and tolls, it can cost you $500-$1,000, to enter a car at a regional, to have it PV'd.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it, or that it's not worthwhile , because I think it is. I just wanted to make sure you were fully aware of what you may be in for, if you want to PV, or Top Flight that car.

Good luck with your pursuit!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
gccch
Drifting

Thanks gb... I do understand the PV process and the costs involved in that are part of the hobby, so those are things I get satisfaction from.

Things I am afraid of are getting wrecked on hidden issues. Many of those engine parts come with it, but there are probably 2k worth missing. And I don't need a top flight, just enough to get to PV then have fun driving.

I'm feeling good about 35 but no more. Seller is not willing to move enough as yet.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

So I have checked Mecum results from Indy and there is one similar car that sold for $35k (net $37k) with a completely detailed matching number engine. This one is very comparable otherwise. I'm thinking 35k is about right for my offer. I will need to buy several expensive engine items and do a lot of work to get to the level of the Mecum car. But it will be a nice rare example...
The seller got $32.6k and the buyer paid $37k. Sounds like $32.6k to me. Find one in the condition you finally want. That will be way cheaper than "fixing."

Figure the $2k to be $5k+. Go find a much nicer one for $40k.

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It's a money pit.Check out the black 63 in the for sale section on this forum. You will be much better off with a car someone else has put too much money in. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM
gccch
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkC
It's a money pit.Check out the black 63 in the for sale section on this forum. You will be much better off with a car someone else has put too much money in. Good luck.
Well if i wanted to spend high 40s I would be looking at that one and many others. I'm really trying to get a mid year for mid 30s max and work it from there. I may be into it for more in the end but I'm not trying to make profit, just enjoy the hobby. I could afford to buy a fully restored C3 but then all I get to do is drive and detail. So far I've seen only a few in my price range but most are NOM or otherwise questionable. You haven't talked me down yet.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I hear you gc...
I am kind of in the same boat. The conventional wisdom is, "decide what you want, and then get the best car you can afford".

To some of us, the best car we can afford doesn't necessarily get you over the hump of putting more money in.

Which is why I am looking for something that I can drive now, and work on as I go....
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Well, I always get a little suspicious about past front-end collision damage whenever I see a service replacement core support (hole for FI).
Sometimes thats true, but Ive had a couple midyears with service replacement supports replaced because the others were crusty looking and nasty. Doesnt have to be front end damage.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
gccch
Drifting

I do think this car suffered some damage, but the frame looks very solid and the body lines are also good. I have seen some others that turned me away because of poor fitting panels and headlights. If this was damaged it appears to be very well repaired. I guess I better have it checked over more closely for issues though.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mid 30s seems like a pretty good number if numbers are for sure, no cage rust, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To help me evaluate this 64

Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 AM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by garyguinn
just an opinion,
And if your goal is Top Flight/Duntov there are thousands of dollars more to be spent...
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Gccch, check out the red 64 that was just listed in the for sale section. Mark

Last edited by MarkC; 05-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by garyguinn
just an opinion,
$30-$$35K. How much work has been done on the rear suspension (wheel bearings, etc). It looks like a nice driver. If you go the TF route, you are going to be totally underwater before you can say, "partial resto". I like 64s but they do not bring the premium that the other C2s bring. As a driver, it looks like a great car.

To give you some perspective, I am looking at a supposed low mile '64 Coupe, 327/300. 54,000 miles, previous month end damage. Pretty squared away. Been in storage for ten years. $25-$30K is where I am right now, concentrating on the low end--not a penny more. There are just too many cars for sale to pay up for daily drivers. Paint will always be a sticking point when you exit the car in a few years. Give that major weight when you consider purchasing the car.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 05-24-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: help me evaluate this 64