C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

swapping a rear end

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Downdraft
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Default swapping a rear end

I have access to a 411 rear end and wanted to try it out - how long does it take to swap out a rear end? I have a 323 and am quite happy with it due to the highway miles I put on the '65 - just wanted to try out the low ratio
Old 05-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

We could swap one in the race car in less than a half hour. However, everything was accessible and no frozen bolts.

Even in a street car, it isn't too much more than that, if everything comes loose. Hour to two hours depending on how good you are. I think that is about what it took in my '68.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
We could swap one in the race car in less than a half hour. However, everything was accessible and no frozen bolts.

Even in a street car, it isn't too much more than that, if everything comes loose. Hour to two hours depending on how good you are. I think that is about what it took in my '68.
Wow, you're fast.

Took me a day or more just to get my "old" 3.55's out.

I'm one week + into the job, and still have only the exhaust tips to put back on my 63 before I drop it on off the jackstands.

Chuck
Old 05-26-2013, 07:56 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Wow, you're fast.
A half hour seems about right, for the race car.

There's no exhaust or spare tire tub to deal with, and everything's been apart before, so it all unbolts easily. We usually have 2 or 3 people working on it, too. The only impediments to doing the job quickly at the races, is that your usually on your back in the dirt, and the parts are often hot!

With a lift and a street car, you should be able to do it in about 3 hours.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:57 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine in and out 3 times. It gets faster each time! Once the cross member is freed, it's just a matter of doing things at your own pace. Breaking the cross member free can be a little daunting. Get a big pry bar. Putting the struts back in were my least favorite part. Oh, yeah, I forgot about the exhaust...

larry

Last edited by redred65cpe; 05-26-2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: misspelled my own name :)
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Finished it up this morning and took my maiden voyage. All is well.

The speedo works correctly, nothing fell off. No rattles, clunks, or other bad noises.

I'm HAPPY to have my "old" 63 back. Drives MUCH better with the 4.11's. I'm lovin' life.

When I reached the 6' prybar stage to get the X member out, a buddy came to my rescue. He had a 2.5 ton porta power with a duck bill attachment.

3-4 pumps on each sombrero, and off it came.

Slick trick.

I started tearing mine apart on May 14. It's now May 26, so you can see it took me 12 days, working at my pace, a few hours here, a few hours there. I was hung up for 4-5 days getting a rear end gasket, so if I would have had that on hand, it would have taken me about a week.

Chuck
Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

This guy used to change rear gears between rounds! He had a big hole cut in the floor board and changed out the gear the easy way!

Notice the crappy fit on his front bumpers.

http://lakelandraceway.com/images/bo_laws_champion.jpg
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Wow, you're fast.

Took me a day or more just to get my "old" 3.55's out.

I'm one week + into the job, and still have only the exhaust tips to put back on my 63 before I drop it on off the jackstands.

Chuck
Of course, that was in my prime. These days, it can take a week to close the hood.

I started on the carpet about a week ago and it is just sitting in there now. I need to finish it today if my daughter is ever going to ride with me again.

Originally Posted by gbvette62
A half hour seems about right, for the race car.

There's no exhaust or spare tire tub to deal with, and everything's been apart before, so it all unbolts easily. We usually have 2 or 3 people working on it, too. The only impediments to doing the job quickly at the races, is that your usually on your back in the dirt, and the parts are often hot!

With a lift and a street car, you should be able to do it in about 3 hours.
The '68 is a full-fledged stock street car, but in the '70s, I used to fudge the stock part by changing rears for autocrosses during the season depending on where we would be running. As such, there were no frozen bolts and the rear sections of the exhaust would slip off fairly easily.

The race car had lots of advantages. First, no bolt would hold you up. Second, it was all open back there. Third, I had a crew I had convinced that it had to be that short or else. Surprisingly, they believed me and we would do it that fast.

Get notified of new replies

To swapping a rear end

Quick Reply: swapping a rear end