C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Split Window Restomod SRIII Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I actually switched from a big block support to a small block FI unit and the dewitts single fan ls radiator. im going to run the air cleaner tube through the original FI hole in the support and mount the filter in the nose.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by toocrazy
where did you pick up your steel dolly? I built one out of wood but like the idea of the steel frame. I assume it will collapse for easier storage.
Accessible Systems. Yes, you can disassemble it for storage. The system is more or less universal and the posts can be adjusted in and out, forward and aft to accommodate different vehicles. They have an option for adjustable height and if you are buying the corvette adapter kit, you will want that option. The adapter kit supports the nose at the radiator support and the body under the rear floor board. I am not using the rear floor board support since i have a coupe, but it would certainly come in handy for a convertible. It's a strong system and made in the USA

One word of caution: Don't buy the large inflatable wheels. I did and I had to change them out. They are too big and flexible, which makes the dolly seem unstable. Go with the hard casters.

Last edited by 65silververt; 06-14-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 65silververt
I actually switched from a big block support to a small block FI unit and the dewitts single fan ls radiator. im going to run the air cleaner tube through the original FI hole in the support and mount the filter in the nose.
The radiator will hit the sway bar in your (and my) application with C6 suspension and Sriii setup. You can tilt the bottom out but have to modify the middle and lower brackets and push the fiberglass under the grill down a little. Is this what you intend to do, or do you have another plan?
I'm trying to decide between SB and BB rad. support.
Ken
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Thanks, i was not aware of this. I might need to call dewitts on monday and come up with plan B or modify the brackets as you described. I really want to locate the air filter outside of the engine compartment.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Updates?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Im still waiting on the chassis to arrive. Should be about two more weeks.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM
beedeepee66
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! Mike and guys at SRIII are great to work with.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
The radiator will hit the sway bar in your (and my) application with C6 suspension and Sriii setup. You can tilt the bottom out but have to modify the middle and lower brackets and push the fiberglass under the grill down a little. Is this what you intend to do, or do you have another plan?
I'm trying to decide between SB and BB rad. support.
Ken
You have to switch to a 66/67 support to clear the sway bar for this suspension setup. This will push the bottom of the radiator much further forward and give the clearance you need.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Chris: that is a 66/67 BB support on the chassis now.

Rich
Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I just noticed this topic and I can only say Holy Crap Batman! Rich and this car are what got me going on my '64 build as few years ago. I did not think I would ever see it apart but from what I have read it's going to be an impressive rebuild. I' ll be following this one.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

I spoke with Mike and there is a way to make the small block support work. If I didn't already have the small block LS radiator from Dewitts, then I would probably just switch back to the 427 mount that Rich put in the car, but since I already have it and a 63 FI support, im going to attempt to make things work. Im still waiting on the chassis, which should be ready very soon.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

I spoke with Mike and there is a way to make the small block support work. If I didn't already have the small block LS radiator from Dewitts, then I would probably just switch back to the 427 mount that Rich put in the car, but since I already have it and a 63 FI support, im going to attempt to make things work. Im still waiting on the chassis, which should be ready very soon.

The clearance to the C5/C6 swaybar really does not have anything to do with bigblock versus smallblock, it is a difference between the 66-67 support and the earlier supports. You can still use a smallblock support, if it is a late model support.

I have modified early supports to make them like a 67 support, and it was more trouble than buying a new support, and selling the old one on ebay.
The top mounting holes stay where they are, but the lower holes, have to attach to a strap that you weld to the side of the old support. This allows the bottom of the support to move a couple of inches further forward. Then you have to cut off the frame mounts from the bottom of the support, and either fabricate or buy 67 style frame mounts, which stick out way more than early model mounts, to accommodate the more forward position of the bottom of the support.

You will also need to change the headlight support rods and the brackets that attach the lower panel of the nose, to the rad support.
This is the area where if you do not get it exactly the same dimensions as a stock 67 support, it will bite you in the ***. If you do not get it the right dimensions, you will have to section the headlight support rods that you just had to buy, and weld them back together, after adjusting the length. If you are going to modify your existing support, buy reproduction lower frame mount brackets, weld them to the support, and only after having the support mounted to the frame, the top bolts in, and the headlight support rods in place, then fabricate and locate the straps to locate the bottom mounting holes. If the angle of this support is not right, neither 67 style, or early headlight support rods will fit, not to mention the lower valance mounting clips.
After doing one of these conversions, I made the decision that it was just a whole lot easier to swap, and a rare support like the 63 FI support, will probably bring more than the 66/67 style support you have to buy. I just did a 65 coupe, and I paid exactly the same for the 67 support I bought, as I got for the 65 support I sold.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Also, which Dewitts radiator do you have? Do you have the one that mounts at the top like a stock radiator, or do you have the LS retrofit one that has the welded-on mounting pins near the top of the radiator?
If you have the rad with the welded on mounting points, there are not holes at the same places on 67 style supports. If you have this style radiator, it may be just as easy to modify the existing support. Modifying a 67 support to take this type of radiator mounting, is somewhat of a pain as well. Drop me a PM, if you want to see some pics of the modifications.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Thanks for all the info John! I have the LS radiator from Dewitts, but it came with the center bracket mount at the top. Sounds like I unknowingly created a lot of unnecessary complications by switching to the small block radiator and support. Maybe I should call dewitts and see if they will swap out the radiator.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:04 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Thanks for all the info John! I have the LS radiator from Dewitts, but it came with the center bracket mount at the top. Sounds like I unknowingly created a lot of unnecessary complications by switching to the small block radiator and support. Maybe I should call dewitts and see if they will swap out the radiator.
I am pretty sure that you can use the radiator that you have with either a modified support like you have, or switch to the 67 style smallblock support. I have a 67 smallblock support on the 65 coupe I am building now, and it worked fine.

Mike should tell people when they order the chassis, that the early model support will not clear the sway bar. A lot of people start ordering parts as soon as they have the frame on order, and it would be nice to buy the right parts!

I will post some pics of the clearance on mine later.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

The first 5 pics are of single pass Dewitts LS radaitor mounted in a smallblock 67 style support in my current 65 coupe project. This radiator uses the welded on mounting points at the top, to keep the top of the radiator clean. it is also a side tank radiator with fill cap. This one does not have to use the OEM style expansion tank like the one in my 65 convertible You can see how much further the 67 style radiator is angled forward at the bottom, than early C2 radiators.
The swaybar clearance is good, but you will have to replace the headlight support rods and front valance mounting clips

The last 2 pics show a single pass Dewitts radiator mounted in a 67 style support on my 65 convertible. This unit uses the top clamp mount, like OEM. I just cut off the part of the top clamp that used to mount to the shroud.

Name:  IMG_1165_zpsf1035558.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  385.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1169_zps2e554e77.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  329.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1168_zps16f933a6.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  367.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1166_zpsc158a9d4.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  429.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1170_zps8a2561eb.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  373.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1171_zps1ed0ece2.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  421.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1172_zps4edb64ff.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  444.2 KB

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Dejavet
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I ordered my chassis from Mike a few months ago and at that time he told me that I needed the 66 / 67 radiator support for my 65 Coupe project. I have been looking for a good used one and I am about to give up and buy a new one. Mike has not started my cassis yet. He has quite a backlog.

Charlie

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I am pretty sure that you can use the radiator that you have with either a modified support like you have, or switch to the 67 style smallblock support. I have a 67 smallblock support on the 65 coupe I am building now, and it worked fine.

Mike should tell people when they order the chassis, that the early model support will not clear the sway bar. A lot of people start ordering parts as soon as they have the frame on order, and it would be nice to buy the right parts!

I will post some pics of the clearance on mine later.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Split Window Restomod SRIII Build Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:41 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dejavet
I ordered my chassis from Mike a few months ago and at that time he told me that I needed the 66 / 67 radiator support for my 65 Coupe project. I have been looking for a good used one and I am about to give up and buy a new one. Mike has not started my cassis yet. He has quite a backlog.

Charlie
I ordered mine in April. Having used a Street Shop Chassis for the last build, I will gladly wait for the SRIII unit.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Thanks John! I really appreciate your info and pictures!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:02 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

I ordered mine in April. Having used a Street Shop Chassis for the last build, I will gladly wait for the SRIII unit.

You will not regret waiting for the SRIII chassis. I have built several of them, and could not ever see myself switching to another chassis builder. I am going to build a 56 Bel Air two door hardtop next year, and Mike will build that one as well. The only car I have built that did not have one of his frames under it, is my 67 Chevelle wagon, and that was only because he did not make one for that application yet. He now makes one, and I regret not waiting for one from him!

Regards, John McGraw

Quick Reply: 63 Split Window Restomod SRIII Build Thread