C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

IF you were going from SB to BB you'd need to...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Default IF you were going from SB to BB you'd need to...

Ok...
If you were not concerned with making a L36, , L68, L71 etc CLONE, but just wanted to put a BB in a NOM mid year... besides the engine, what would you "have" to do... Assuming its an originally SB 65-67 car.

For EX would you/should you add a sway bar? Go with a TI, change how your half shafts mount...

I talking about safe & fun, not passing any judging.

Thanks, in Advance....

*EDIT*
I saw Procrastination Racing's post (after I tweaked my search) and he came up with this... I am assuming that this is the necessary items even if you are not judging the car?

1. Big block

2. Short water pump

3. Set of pulleys for a short water pump (crank pulley is flat against the harmonic damper [balancer])

4. In 1963 and 1964, the larger crank pulleys will not clear the cross member. Use smaller crank pulleys. I can't remember if the limit is 7 inch or 6 inch diameter. You can also use the aluminum underdrive crank pulleys from many speed shops. Be sure they fit 1968 and older Chevrolet or 1965-1974 Corvette.

5. Big block exhaust manifolds or headers - most big block headers will hit the steering box during installation and are frequently dented to clear.

6. Stock radiator is too small. The big block aluminum radiator is expensive, so the stock '66 to '74 big block radiator is usually the most economical choice.

7. Big block brackets for alternator, power steering, and air conditioning.

8. Modified hood, '65-'67 big block hood, or aftermarket hood with scoop.

9. Heavier front springs.

10. Corvette only oil pan - not cheap

11. You probably want to add heavier front sway bar and add the rear sway bar that is stock on '65-'74 big blocks.

12. Various options on the clutch. While a 10 inch will work, you will blow it easily. You can run a dual disc aftermarket. Or change to the 14 inch flywheel and run the 11 inch disc, which is stock.

Last edited by Revfan; 06-02-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Ok...
If you were not concerned with making a L36, , L68, L71 etc CLONE, but just wanted to put a BB in a NOM mid year... besides the engine, what would you "have" to do... Assuming its an originally SB 65-67 car.

For EX would you/should you add a sway bar? Go with a TI, change how your half shafts mount...

I talking about safe & fun, not passing any judging.

Thanks, in Advance....

*EDIT*
I saw Procrastination Racing's post (after I tweaked my search) and he came up with this... I am assuming that this is the necessary items even if you are not judging the car?
Made some additional comments that might be helpful

1. Big block

2. Short water pump

3. Set of pulleys for a short water pump (crank pulley is flat against the harmonic damper [balancer])

4. In 1963 and 1964, the larger crank pulleys will not clear the cross member. Use smaller crank pulleys. I can't remember if the limit is 7 inch or 6 inch diameter. You can also use the aluminum underdrive crank pulleys from many speed shops. Be sure they fit 1968 and older Chevrolet or 1965-1974 Corvette.

5. Big block exhaust manifolds or headers - most big block headers will hit the steering box during installation and are frequently dented to clear.

6. Stock radiator is too small. The big block aluminum radiator is expensive, so the stock '66 to '74 big block radiator is usually the most economical choice. You will need to replace the radiator support to use a stock big block radiator, and even then you can only use 66-68 radiators; they enlrged them in '69. You can also fit a stock 65 '396 radiator in the stock radiator support.

7. Big block brackets for alternator, power steering, and air conditioning.

8. Modified hood, '65-'67 big block hood, or aftermarket hood with scoop.

9. Heavier front springs.

10. Corvette only oil pan - not cheap

11. You probably want to add heavier front sway bar and add the rear sway bar that is stock on '65-'74 big blocks.

12. Various options on the clutch. While a 10 inch will work, you will blow it easily. You can run a dual disc aftermarket. Or change to the 14 inch flywheel and run the 11 inch disc, which is stock.A heavy duty 10.4 inch clutch, e.g., Centerforce Gold or Dual Friction, will hold a BB just fine. If you change to the 14 inch flywheel you will need a different bellhousing and starter nose for that size flywheel.
13. I'd change the half shafts
14. TI is not necessary. Think about a distributor mounted EI, like Unilite or Pertronix Ignotor II for convenience, but points will work just fine
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Add exhaust too. The small block will not match up to the new headers.

New oil pressure line. The big block location is down lower and the old line may not be long enough.

If you have a BB with tall valve covers it will not work with a power brake vacuum booster.

Be sure the big block has a low intake manifold. Even with a BB hood, there is not a lot of room.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Be sure the big block has a low intake manifold. Even with a BB hood, there is not a lot of room.
Might not fit at all!! Think drop base air cleaner for sure!

15) throttle linkage

Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When you change the rad, you need to change the rad support to the BB one.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

3/8" fuel line from tank to pump.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

I eventually plan to add a 427 to my 65 Smallblock Coupe so when I needed to replace the old Brass/Copper replacement radiator a couple years ago I talked with John at DeWitts about an alternative to having to swap out the core support to accommodate the 66-on larger BB radiator. He said they had a replacement aluminum radiator that would fit the stock smallblock core support but it had larger 1 1/4 tubes for more capacity. In my case, I expect this larger core DeWitts radiator, with the aid of an electric fan, should have no problems handling the mild Bigblock I intend to add (10 to 1, 218/228 cam, Edelbrock Oval Heads, Headers). The DeWitts part number for that radiator is: 1149063M.
Mike T.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default SB to BB

Mine is a 65 and I bought the DeWitts SB to BB radiator. I am in the middle of doing mine now. I did some other items, r&p steering and serpentine belt (March System). Adding both of these caused me to raise the engine 1/2 inch. The pulley hit the frame in the front but clears now and the r&p hit the oil pan but clears now. I have an L88 hood so clearance shouldn't be an issue. I am not going to fool with the half shafts yet other than the solid style u-joints. I had the smaller bell housing (3858403) on the small block originally and it won't fit with the bigger flywheel, but pulled the larger one off of a Camaro (3899621) that we put a 572 in. I am not going to do the sway bar thing yet. The ZZ427 only weighs 25 pounds more than the all iron small block.
Attached Images   

Last edited by new vette 62; 06-02-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vet65te
I eventually plan to add a 427 to my 65 Smallblock Coupe so when I needed to replace the old Brass/Copper replacement radiator a couple years ago I talked with John at DeWitts about an alternative to having to swap out the core support to accommodate the 66-on larger BB radiator. He said they had a replacement aluminum radiator that would fit the stock smallblock core support but it had larger 1 1/4 tubes for more capacity. In my case, I expect this larger core DeWitts radiator, with the aid of an electric fan, should have no problems handling the mild Bigblock I intend to add (10 to 1, 218/228 cam, Edelbrock Oval Heads, Headers). The DeWitts part number for that radiator is: 1149063M.
Mike T.

That's what I got. I took it out for it's first good run on Friday for about 2.5 hours. It was over 90* out. I ran it down the highway and through a few small towns and got stuck in traffic in a construction area. Temps stayed at 180 to 190.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Nice Motor

Looks great. I see you did the hydro boost brakes. I am going to try the dual diaphragm 7 inch brake booster. I have the dished chrome big block valve covers, but I like the look of the ones on the ZZ427.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Ed - Your radiator looks to be wider than the one I have. The larger core DeWitts I got back in 2/11 looks almost identical to the 63M smallblock replacement radiator they sell meaning it has the inlet hose bib at the 'top' of the tank, not down a bit like the one in your pics. I just found the old invoice and that part number I listed above must be new, my old invoice lists that larger core radiator as: A63M 1.25" Tubes.
Mike T.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

For future Reference... the dewitts site
http://www.dewitts.com/products/1963...minum-radiator
Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Ed - Your radiator looks to be wider than the one I have. The larger core DeWitts I got back in 2/11 looks almost identical to the 63M smallblock replacement radiator they sell meaning it has the inlet hose bib at the 'top' of the tank, not down a bit like the one in your pics. I just found the old invoice and that part number I listed above must be new, my old invoice lists that larger core radiator as: A63M 1.25" Tubes.
Mike T.
This one is Model: 4139025M. It is the big block style radiator that fits in with the small block radiator support. It also has the vent to the small block over flow tank. It would use the big block hoses. I used a stock one on the bottom but needed to trim it just a little. I used the upper flex hose to route around the alt. and bracket.

link:
http://www.dewitts.com/collections/l...e-combo-manual

Last edited by EDinPA; 06-02-2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added link for the SB to BB rad.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Revfan
For future Reference... the dewitts site
http://www.dewitts.com/products/1963...minum-radiator
This one has a lower rating then the original style small block radiator. With a big block you would like to have a higher BTU rating.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by new vette 62
Mine is a 65 and I bought the DeWitts SB to BB radiator. I am in the middle of doing mine now. I did some other items, r&p steering and serpentine belt (March System). Adding both of these caused me to raise the engine 1/2 inch. The pulley hit the frame in the front but clears now and the r&p hit the oil pan but clears now. I have an L88 hood so clearance shouldn't be an issue. I am not going to fool with the half shafts yet other than the solid style u-joints. I had the smaller bell housing (3858403) on the small block originally and it won't fit with the bigger flywheel, but pulled the larger one off of a Camaro (3899621) that we put a 572 in. I am not going to do the sway bar thing yet. The ZZ427 only weighs 25 pounds more than the all iron small block.

Was there a reason you picked this march kit rather then the corvette kit?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Looks great. I see you did the hydro boost brakes. I am going to try the dual diaphragm 7 inch brake booster. I have the dished chrome big block valve covers, but I like the look of the ones on the ZZ427.
If you have the stock style valve covers, the stock booster should work fine. I really liked the $80 valve covers that I got to clear the roller rockers and wanted to use them so I spent almost 1K for the Hydro boost setup.

The brakes will put your passenger through the windshield now though. It actually feels like it grabs better then my '10 grand sport.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM
new vette 62
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Was there a reason you picked this march kit rather then the corvette kit?
I thought it would be easier to order one part than to mix and match. I also did the vintage air so I would need an air conditioning bracket and the March unit has everything I needed.

Get notified of new replies

To IF you were going from SB to BB you'd need to...

Old 06-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Pull $10k out of the bank
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

I thought it would be easier to order one part than to mix and match. I also did the vintage air so I would need an air conditioning bracket and the March unit has everything I needed.
I went with a March kit too rather than rounding up all of the brackets and pulleys that I would need. But why did you not use the 21270 kit designed for the big block in a C2? It is made to clear the frame by using a second belt. It has great belt wrap on the pulleys also.

I had tried to see if a kit from concept one would work because it was a little less ornate but it had the problem with how far the crank pulley stuck out and it would not clear the frame without raising the engine or modifying the frame. (They were very good to work with and even sent out a lower pulley to check for fitment)

I had my engine in the car and there was not much room for hood clearance. I am already using a drop base air filter. I actually went with a filter lid too because of how far the base had to be lowered and how close that brought the lid of the air cleaner to he throttle body. (I am using a FAST EZ EFI that is the same dimensions as a carb)
Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.

Pull $10k out of the bank
I agree, much easier to buy a big block to start with.

Bill

Quick Reply: IF you were going from SB to BB you'd need to...