C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

distributor warped

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 PM
ooh yeah
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default distributor warped

I've been having problems with my 67 since getting back on the road, I decided to bring the car to a guy who works for Hendrix performance finally I think its in good hands. They had to rebuild the carbs plus they found a warped dist. How the heck does the dist. get warped? Well the dist is getting rebuilt then I hope my baby is back on the road.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh ya. that happens all the time. easily fixed by minor surgery. the specific procedure is called a walletectomy.

Russ
Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

It probably got warped because the owner is warped.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ooh yeah
They had to rebuild the carbs plus they found a warped dist. How the heck does the dist. get warped?
The only thing I can envision, is the rotor/football area of the distributor getting bent so that as it rotates it appears to wobble. If it were bent such that the rotor tip was further away from the plug wire terminals in the distributor cap I imagine the spark would be weakened.

Assuming the above theory were true, I can't see any way for the damage to occur without someone or something putting significant weight or pressure on one edge of the rotor with the cap off. Perhaps someone placed their hand on top of the rotor while leaning over the engine? Seems that would not be enough to warp though.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I don't think putting pressure on the cap would warp anything permanently
But, it can easily cause the rotor tip to break when hit by the cap while the engine is running.
Happens sometimes on C1s when the ignition shielding pushes on the distributor cap.
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
The only thing I can envision, is the rotor/football area of the distributor getting bent so that as it rotates it appears to wobble. If it were bent such that the rotor tip was further away from the plug wire terminals in the distributor cap I imagine the spark would be weakened.

Assuming the above theory were true, I can't see any way for the damage to occur without someone or something putting significant weight or pressure on one edge of the rotor with the cap off. Perhaps someone placed their hand on top of the rotor while leaning over the engine? Seems that would not be enough to warp though.
wouldn't that just crack the cap
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

That's a new one for me, I have seen worn out wobbly shafts, but warped? Strange things happen over the years, maybe someone dropped it or ran over it with a car or used as pry bar? Who knows?
Dave
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
wouldn't that just crack the cap
Not cap, rotor.

I'm just postulating here anyway, but my thought was if they put pressure on the rotor at or near one of the 2 mounting screws, then the top of the distributor shaft would bear the weight and not the rotor.

In any event, it seems unlikely that a person could bend the top of the distributor shaft in this way.

I'm just trying to understand what it means to have a warped distributor.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm just trying to understand what it means to have a warped distributor.
it could be the shop is a dealer of a distributor manufacture and is trying to sell one to a unknown person
Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
it could be the shop is a dealer of a distributor manufacture and is trying to sell one to a unknown person
Lack of business integrity as a potential root cause for this "issue" is certainly high on my list of suspicions.

That's why I'm hoping the OP will offer some details on what a warped distributor is.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I have seen, and at one time owned, bent distributor main shafts.

The one I recall was damaged by improper storage (something heavy was put on it).

It would fit in the distributor, but it was very hard to rotate, and you could see the side to side movement when you rotated the distributor.

That is the only "warped distributor" condition that I can think ot.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Have seen a bent dist. housing due to not properly supporting the bottom of the engine, while removing the trans, and letting the dist. hit the firewall when the engine dropped - this was on a "steel" street rod. Yes, cap was cracked too.........

The OP needs to find out exactly what is "warped".

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 06-09-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Probably was stuck at warp speed. "this thing is warped"
Rusty, weights would not retract.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
Probably was stuck at warp speed. "this thing is warped"
Rusty, weights would not retract.
Hmmm.....
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2013, 06:49 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

warp

[wawrp]
verb (used with object)
to bend or twist out of shape, especially from a straight or flat form, as timbers or flooring.
2. to bend or turn from the natural or true direction or course.
3. to distort or cause to distort from the truth, fact, true meaning, etc.; bias; falsify: Prejudice warps the mind.

Or else the car was caught in a flood and the distributor warped when it dried.....see definition 1 above.

Maybe the mechanic is related to Frank Gorshin.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Have seen a bent dist. housing due to not properly supporting the bottom of the engine, while removing the trans, and letting the dist. hit the firewall when the engine dropped - this was on a "steel" street rod. Yes, cap was cracked too.........

The OP needs to find out exactly what is "warped".

Plasticman
If it is bent, I bet this is how it happened.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:23 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Oh ya. that happens all the time. easily fixed by minor surgery. the specific procedure is called a walletectomy.

Russ

Get notified of new replies

To distributor warped

Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
ooh yeah
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so the car has been off the road since 1977 in restoration, finally got her on the road but was having carb and timing problems every time I drove her. I had her out for about an hour and the car went completely out of time and the tach started bouncing all over the place. The tach drive gears were stripped out from the shaft not being straight. I have no ideal how this happens the parts have been on a shelf for 30 plus years.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by ooh yeah
so the car has been off the road since 1977 in restoration, finally got her on the road but was having carb and timing problems every time I drove her. I had her out for about an hour and the car went completely out of time and the tach started bouncing all over the place. The tach drive gears were stripped out from the shaft not being straight. I have no ideal how this happens the parts have been on a shelf for 30 plus years.
Every midyear Corvette distributor gets "warped" like that, sooner or later.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

have one FS listed in C3 section lars just rebuilt for me a good deal!!! Not warped

Quick Reply: distributor warped