C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions on a stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:38 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Opinions on a stereo system

I have decided to put a new stereo in my '63 and these are the pieces I have chosen. I'm hoping a few of you guys have the same radio and speakers and can tell me if you are pleased with your choice.

Pioneer 1963-1967 Corvette Speaker Kick Panels, 4 x 6", 80 Watts

1963-1967 Corvette Radio, USA-630

Bazooka BTA6100 BT Series 6-Inch 100-Watt Amplified Tube Subwoofer
Old 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Not a big fan of unamplified front speakers in a muscle car. Depending on how hard you have to crank things up the sound can distort pretty badly. I run a Kenwood 8404 to a single cone/dual feed front speaker and then a passive 6014 Bazooka in my '61 vette and '67 Chevelle - the sound is really nice with this combo in both cars. Bass in doesn't come thru well in the video - believe me; it thumps.
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-09-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Good timing. I'm also finally putting tunes in my coupe. Just got my radio back from Greg @ S&M. I got the 4 channel 45 watt per channel conversion with iPod/mp3 plug in. Was thinking of the same type of kick panel speakers and maybe two 6X9's in the jack board or a bazooka. I've already searched old threads but since the subject has been brought up I'd also like some feed back but I don't want to hijack Johns post.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 PM
raosterkamp
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Please keep responding to this thread,as I too am looking to upgrade the radio in the "65. Thanks,Rick
Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

FWIW, I searched the archives, but radios and computers have the shelf life of milk. They come out with new stuff all the time and I just want to make sure there isn't something new I don't know about.

With 45 watts per channel, I figured I wouldn't need an amp, so that is why I went with the powered sub woofer. I could do a 5 channel amp and run my kick panels the original speaker location and my sub woofer off the one amp, but I figured the radio had enough power as it came out of the box (at least for someone my age).

I have side pipes and I like loud music, but I don't need to have it shake the car to be happy.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

KC John, where did you find the kick panel speakers? I couldn't find them that size with a pioneer speaker. Only with Auto Sound speakers which I'm not familiar with.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Personally, I think the Custom Auto Sound radio and kick panel speakers are junk. I had a CAS radio and could not get it out of the car fast enough. I still have the kick panel speakers and never installed them. Didn't like the way they look and thought they would get in my way. JMO
Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Personally, I think the Custom Auto Sound radio and kick panel speakers are junk. I had a CAS radio and could not get it out of the car fast enough. I still have the kick panel speakers and never installed them. Didn't like the way they look and thought they would get in my way. JMO
i have a used one if you want to buy it. the orig radio upgraded by turnswitch.com with the new board he has is way better with better
bass also. his speakers are suppose to be better also, but i have not installed them yet. jmho jim
Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That's what I've heard, that's the reason I had S&M convert my original radio, heard lots of good things about doing it that way. So what did you wind up installing?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

I had my original radio upgraded also. I use a duel voice coil speaker in the front in place of the stock speaker. Nice surface mount speakers in the rear.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That's an option I was also considering. What speakers did you use and where did you buy them? Where did you mount the rear speakers?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

John,
You can get some good sound from a Custom Autosound radio if you properly match and set up the components. I've installed many high end systems over the years, and with the right stuff (not expensive), you can get a very loud, thumping, clear, crisp sound. At least as good as what you hear in Frankies video clip. I think that the output is cleaner from a USA 630 than the RetroSound radios, at 1/3rd the money. If the "look" of the radio doesn't bother you, then go with the 630, as the electronics are JUST AS GOOD or better than the converted radios, or look-alikes.

Use the kick panels that you have in your picture. Remove the speakers, and install a full range 4 X 6 high wattage speaker. I've used Polk Audio MM461p, which is a 150w full range unit.

You can also use the Custom Autosound 6 X 9 DUAL VOICE COIL speaker in the stock hole up front. You don't need both.

Buy an inexpensive 4 channel amp. This is a MUST. You'll use the low impedance outputs from the head unit, which produce a much clearer sound, and then amplify it with a "real" amplifier. The distortion range from the "out of the box" head units is huge once you get past about 1/2 volume. I use the Kenwood products KAC-2404 or something like that (about $100). Where do you suppose Frankie got THIS idea!!!!

In a midyear, I like the SAS Bazooka tube PASSIVE......NON AMPLIFIED. 8" works well, but the 6" will do the job.

Bridge the sub at the amp. Use the RCA audio output signal to the amp. Low pass filter to the sub is on, and the cutoff set at about 110 hz. High pass filter off, and set at about 12k hz. Set the gains to ear preference for balance.

You'll have a killer system for less than $500.

Mike Coletta

BTW.....this car has the same kick speakers (Polk upgrade), no center speaker, and a 8" Bazooka. All of the audio is coming from an earphone jack on a Gen5 Ipod. No head unit. If you could hear it "live", you wouldn't believe your ears!!

Last edited by mike coletta; 06-10-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

I am not sure what speakers I used. However, they are 6 X 9. They are mounted in a heavy box. I put them all the way in the back. I have had them in my last C2 vert and they are now in my coupe. They sound pretty good.
I did not want to make any perminent modifications to install the speakers. Or the radio.

When I have a chance I will take a pic.

Last edited by woodsdesign; 06-10-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yes - I neglected to give Mike C. credit for my great sound setup. Since that video I have moved my Bazooka to fit under the deck lid (like he first suggested) and the system sounds even better. Don't let the 45W / channel full you. Your unit might put out that much power but with distortion at any reasonable volume....an amp can cure this.

Don't get those cheesy 4" dual speakers on a piece of wood to replace your front speaker either....all of 'em suck (I've tried 4 different kinds). This is what I use (also suggested by Mike): http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1958-1967.html
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Me too

I also have an interest in this thread. I also have had poor results using the CAS components, the kick panel speakers suck and you guys are right on about the distortion once you start cranking it up.

I have a '63 couple and I would like to keep the stock AM radio in place and add a hidden unit. Do the CAS hidden systems have a pre amp output that can be tapped into for connection to an amp? Can someone recommend another hidden system?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

The Custom Autosound "hidden" system has 4 line outputs. I just put one in a split window car, WITH the right amp/speakers, etc., and it sounds very good. Here is a picture of a cover panel that I made for a 64 coupe. Amp and Bazooka tube (8") are behind the panel. I made the same thing for the 63, with no emblem or vents.

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 06-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mike coletta
John,
You can get some good sound from a Custom Autosound radio if you properly match and set up the components. I've installed many high end systems over the years, and with the right stuff (not expensive), you can get a very loud, thumping, clear, crisp sound. At least as good as what you hear in Frankies video clip. I think that the output is cleaner from a USA 630 than the RetroSound radios, at 1/3rd the money. If the "look" of the radio doesn't bother you, then go with the 630, as the electronics are JUST AS GOOD or better than the converted radios, or look-alikes.

Use the kick panels that you have in your picture. Remove the speakers, and install a full range 4 X 6 high wattage speaker. I've used Polk Audio MM461p, which is a 150w full range unit.

You can also use the Custom Autosound 6 X 9 DUAL VOICE COIL speaker in the stock hole up front. You don't need both.

Buy an inexpensive 4 channel amp. This is a MUST. You'll use the low impedance outputs from the head unit, which produce a much clearer sound, and then amplify it with a "real" amplifier. The distortion range from the "out of the box" head units is huge once you get past about 1/2 volume. I use the Kenwood products KAC-2404 or something like that (about $100). Where do you suppose Frankie got THIS idea!!!!

In a midyear, I like the SAS Bazooka tube PASSIVE......NON AMPLIFIED. 8" works well, but the 6" will do the job.

Bridge the sub at the amp. Use the RCA audio output signal to the amp. Low pass filter to the sub is on, and the cutoff set at about 110 hz. High pass filter off, and set at about 12k hz. Set the gains to ear preference for balance.

You'll have a killer system for less than $500.

Mike Coletta

BTW.....this car has the same kick speakers (Polk upgrade), no center speaker, and a 8" Bazooka. All of the audio is coming from an earphone jack on a Gen5 Ipod. No head unit. If you could hear it "live", you wouldn't believe your ears!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7VUmG7878
Thanks for the suggestions Mike, but you got a little over my head with some of the directions (bridging, low pass and high pass). If I understand you correctly, you connected your iPod to the amp and didn't even have to connect it to the radio? If that is the case, that is the best yet. I only listen to Pandora through my iPod now and I use my ear buds. Almost never use the radio anyway.

I guess I'll go see if I can find the items you mentioned and then get back with you on how to hook it up.

I also thought I would mention to some others that there are kick panel speakers that have CAS speakers in them and then the upgrade to Pioneer speakers which I'm sure is an improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on a stereo system

Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
KC John, where did you find the kick panel speakers? I couldn't find them that size with a pioneer speaker. Only with Auto Sound speakers which I'm not familiar with.
I found them here: http://www.classiccarstereos.com/pro...-KCV-63_7.html
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Not sure if the picture links are good but I like this setup.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-solution.html
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The amplifier instructions give you some guidance on bridging/bass boost and all that.
However, I don't have the ear for it and, fortunately, Mike is nearby and does the final 'tweak' with his calibrated ear. Run the same setup in my '67 Chevelle !

In that car with all the Lizard Skin and sound insulation it sounds like a $1,500 setup
Attached Images  

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Quick Reply: Opinions on a stereo system