C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Duntov Motors lose their transporter and 4 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Default Duntov Motors lose their transporter and 4 Corvettes

I just got back from the SVRA vintage races at Watkins Glen. While there, we learned that the Duntov Motors transporter, burned on the way to The Glen!

For those not familiar with Duntov Motors, they build vintage Corvette race cars and are a GM licensed builder of Grand Sport replicas. www.duntovmotors.com

I don't know all the details, but somewhere between their shop in Texas, and Watkins Glen NY, Duntov Motors' trailer caught fire. The fire started in either a brake or wheel bearing, in one of the trailer's wheels.

There were four Corvettes in the trailer, 3 Corvette race cars, and a brand new Duntov build replica Grand Sport. I'm not exactly sure, which cars were in the trailer, but I do know that one of them belonged to Tony Parella, the CEO of the SVRA.

We had the opportunity to talk to Tony on Saturday night, and it sounded like his 71 AP racer, was one of the cars lost. He told us that the Grand Sport was a car that Duntov had just completed for a customer, and was to be displayed at Watkins Glen, before being delivered to the customer. I believe the third car was a 68 AP racer that Duntov built and maintained for it's owner, and the final car was the black 69 AP racer, that belonged to the Duntov Motors owners, Alan and Ed Sevadjian.

All four cars, along with the trailer, tractor and the team's spare parts and tools; were completely destroyed. Luckily though, no one was hurt.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow. That just plain sucks!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Dang...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

wow
Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 AM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOB. That sucks, but glad on one got hurt. Reminds of a story a friend said he was going out on dunebuggies, they had three of them up on each other on a big trailer (like they were humping), fuel cans, tools, etc. Going down highway, one of the guys finishes his cig and flicks it out the window. Air takes it back to the trailer, where it manages to find a leaky fuel can...by the time they figured out what was happening, the whole trailer was burning and they could only unhook the truck and watch. Not as painful as the Duntov...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey
sad story, especially since the GS build belonged to a good friend. I don't think the account of that car in the original post is quite accurate though. Was not a new car by any stretch!

sure hope everything was covered by Duntov or their insurance.
Thanks for the update. As I said in my post, I didn't know all of the details. I was just repeating what was told to me by Tony Parella, the owner of one of the race cars, that was destroyed.

Below are the three race cars, that I think were lost. I took these photos at last falls US Vintage Grand Prix, at Watkins Glen.

Tony Parella's 71

Clair Schwendeman's 68

Duntov Motors' 69
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Thanks for the update. As I said in my post, I didn't know all of the details. I was just repeating what was told to me by Tony Parella, the owner of one of the race cars, that was destroyed.

Below are the three race cars, that I think were lost. I took these photos at last falls US Vintage Grand Prix, at Watkins Glen.

Tony Parella's 71

Clair Schwendeman's 68

Duntov Motors' 69
The shot of the third Corvette as it passes by the "Zippo" board seems sadly ironic...
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Sad deal.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

By the looks of that uh....car, it must have been a heck of a blaze on the side of the road. Someone must have video of that catastophe.

Get notified of new replies

To Duntov Motors lose their transporter and 4 Corvettes

Quick Reply: Duntov Motors lose their transporter and 4 Corvettes