C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 dash-order of installing items

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 62 dash-order of installing items

Restoring my wife's 62 and about to start installing the new and restored parts under and around the dash, the windshield and frame has not been installed yet although it is all together and ready for install. The body is bare at this point. My question is what is the order all the parts go back in to eliminate the need to remove the parts you have installed in the wrong order to install another part. This is my first C1 restoration and I'm still in that learning curve.
Thanks
Billy
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You'll have to be a little more specific - how much did you dis-assemble?

If you took the wiper transmissions and center pulley mount out then put that back in first and attach the cables. Any wire harness replacement should have already been done if needed. Route the tach and speedo cable through the dash now if needed.

Then replace the dash pad CAREFULLY gluing the front lip UNDER where the windshield rests - that is what secures it.

Then radio speaker, defroster ducts, dash pad end caps and interior light housing and rear view mirror. Followed by dash aluminum package tray insert, grab bar and gauge cluster. Re-attach the cowl vent handle if you removed/loosened it. Prob some small things I may have missed but not deal breakers. Of course heater box/radio (if you have those go in along with center console plate and clock). Parking brake, hood release, etc...

I didn't put the windshield back on until the last thing; others may have done it sooner.

A forum search on the individual steps is helpful -- I know I did a whole write up on installing my C1 dash pad a few years back with a ton of pictures.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-11-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree with Frankie on the assembly. I did an article last year on how to remove and replace the cluster.
If you need a copy either do a search or I can send one.
Joe
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You'll have to be a little more specific - how much did you dis-assemble?

If you took the wiper transmissions and center pulley mount out then put that back in first and attach the cables. Any wire harness replacement should have already been done if needed. Route the tach and speedo cable through the dash now if needed.

Then replace the dash pad CAREFULLY gluing the front lip UNDER where the windshield rests - that is what secures it.

Then radio speaker, defroster ducts, dash pad end caps and interior light housing and rear view mirror. Followed by dash aluminum package tray insert, grab bar and gauge cluster. Re-attach the cowl vent handle if you removed/loosened it. Prob some small things I may have missed but not deal breakers. Of course heater box/radio (if you have those go in along with center console plate and clock). Parking brake, hood release, etc...

I didn't put the windshield back on until the last thing; others may have done it sooner.

A forum search on the individual steps is helpful -- I know I did a whole write up on installing my C1 dash pad a few years back with a ton of pictures.
The car is under total restoration and the body is a bare painted shell now and I am about to start installing items inside the car and then mount the body to the finished chassis. Everything has to be reinstalled at this point. Thanks for the install list, it will help a lot. Just don't want to remove something after installing, that makes this job a lot tougher.
Thanks
Billy

Last edited by BILLY 63 swc; 06-11-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Originally Posted by plaidside
I agree with Frankie on the assembly. I did an article last year on how to remove and replace the cluster.
If you need a copy either do a search or I can send one.
Joe
Joe
At this point the dash cluster looks to be the last part to install and should be not to difficult if things go right but will you please send me the article on the dash cluster install, I would appreciate that.
Thanks
Billy626364@hotmail.com

Last edited by BILLY 63 swc; 06-11-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: email
Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sent
Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep-follow Frankie's game plan...it worked for me.

Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 AM
BILLY 63 swc
Racer

Thanks, I will use your suggestions and procedures as I reassemble the old car.
Billy

Get notified of new replies

To 62 dash-order of installing items

Quick Reply: 62 dash-order of installing items