C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Price differences

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Ginx94
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price differences

Can anyone tell me what the price difference of same condition 63 to 67 coupes with original motor and non original motors, looking at finally buying a c2 driver in really good shape but don"t want to go overboard when it comes time to choose. I know it"s a broad question but just looking for others input.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

This topic has been beaten to death. Some think it's no big deal to have a NOM, because that's what they own. Those of us with cars that are still original think, substantiated by actual sales results, they are worth a lot more. My SWAG is at least a 20% premium for documented originals.

Jim
Old 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive got the original motor in my car, but its a 300 horse 67.. I will say this, the numbers match the vin.. I haven't looked real hard as I bought the car to do a tribute car for my late father.. His favorite car ever was a 67 435 horse car, so that's what im doing with mine. Its not for sale, but that info would be fully disclosed if it ever was.. However, Id try to buy a numbers matching car, they command a premium over NOM cars.. But if you aren't trying to judge it, then buy what you like!! You can even buy a documented original motor car and swap it for something you can beat on..
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
This topic has been beaten to death. Some think it's no big deal to have a NOM, because that's what they own. Those of us with cars that are still original think, substantiated by actual sales results, they are worth a lot more. My SWAG is at least a 20% premium for documented originals.

Jim
I don't think there is one number for all engine options. Base engines, even though original, don't bring as much (on a percentage basis) of an increase as either original fuel injection or big block engines do over NOM motors. A base motor might bring 20% by being original, but a 67 435HP motor that is verified original can bring as much as 50% to 80% increments. Surprisingly, the most rare of all C2 high performance options, the L88, seems to matter less if the original engine is still in place, perhaps because some of the histories behind those cars (like the LeMans racer) are dramatic, historically significant, and undeniable.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Ginx94
Cruising

Thanks for the input, I plan on driving it, just want to get a good solid car and don"t want to over pay if its got a NOM. I know documented is better in the long run if you plan on reselling, but plan to have it for a long time, so a NOM coupe is alright for me. If I happen to get an original at a good price I will take it.

Thanks again
Old 06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginx94
Can anyone tell me what the price difference of same condition 63 to 67 coupes with original motor and non original motors, looking at finally buying a c2 driver in really good shape but don"t want to go overboard when it comes time to choose. I know it"s a broad question but just looking for others input.

Thanks in advance!
No, they cannot.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:04 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the input, I plan on driving it, just want to get a good solid car and don"t want to over pay if its got a NOM. I know documented is better in the long run if you plan on reselling, but plan to have it for a long time, so a NOM coupe is alright for me. If I happen to get an original at a good price I will take it.

Thanks again
Concentrate more on birdcage and frame condition. Rust-free and straight is the base you want to start with for a long happy driver relationship..
Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Some think it's no big deal to have a NOM, because that's what they own. Those of us with cars that are still original think, substantiated by actual sales results, they are worth a lot more. Jim
.....and some of us that have original engine cars still don't care about original! Imagine that! I'm not selling so I don't care about some hypothetical increased value.

Originally Posted by sub006
Concentrate more on birdcage and frame condition. Rust-free and straight is the base you want to start with for a long happy driver relationship..
with this if you want a good, economical, long term driver. If the bug bites and you want to get judged or get into the cast of thousands that loudly proclaim they have an "original engine", you can always re-create one like so many have done!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:36 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Hope this helps you, for your original question. This comparison is only for small block C2's since affordability is one of your requirements.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...omparison.html

if you explore the Valuation Tools section, it'll list the condition and sales reports
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...ort?vc=1327525

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 06-21-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

It seems to be starting to flip flop on the resto rod side too. I have my original engine but the reason why I bought the car was the combination of the original engine and the 1995 LT1 that's in the car.

As time goes on more and more people don't like the idea of dealing with carbs or other old car issues. Give me something I can go outside, turn the key, and drive any time and I'm on board. And yes, I know carbs are fine, but I'm just saying the general sentiment in the market is swinging towards classic looks with modern tech.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Dave K.
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always a matter of what the buyer wants. I am an original guy. A restomod holds no interest for me. But, there are many who prefer them. It depends on the buyer. I even shy away from C1's that have upgraded disc brakes. I grew up on these cars, so I see no problem with what brakes they came with. Same with carbs and ignitions. The original systems really never ever gave me trouble. Same as the BB over the SB. Had one BB once. It was a nightmare for me on maintenance. I am a devote SB fan because of that experience. Though I like the looks of side pipes, a ride in one to me, is almost torture. Again I grew up riding in these cars. If you like them, that is wonderful. It is a great reason that Chevy made different options for those that had different ideas as to what is perfect to them. Since I am now a driver and not a racer, a fairly boring low horse power car is great to me. Probably has not been beat on and is always low tech, low maintenance and just a pleasure to chase ice cream cones in. If I were to pay more for a high performance car, it would be because of what my intentions are with it. If it is to resell, I would pay more hoping it would increase in value as I own it. If I am just going to enjoy the ride, the low tech car would be my choice. Not all will agree, and that is OK for them and me.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
66CorvetteCoupe
Pro

I have owned and enjoyed 3 different C-2 cars over the last 10 years or so. I have enjoyed them all and none of them were matching numbers cars. There are several advantages when buying non original cars; they are cheaper to buy, you are not afraid to thrash on it a bit in fear you may blow the sucker up and they do not drive one bit different than one with matching drive train. It is all relative since you pay less when you buy your expectations are less when it is time to sell it. In my humble opinion buy and drive what you like regardless of the matching numbers thing. And most of all get out there and enjoy it you will be amazed at the you get.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Some think it's no big deal to have a NOM, because that's what they own.
Why would it be a big deal if someone owned a NOM? Is it a mark of shame? Should the NOM owners aspire to own a numbers car? Many numbers people definitely look down on NOMs as inferior cars, entitled to their opinions.

Those of us with cars that are still original think, substantiated by actual sales results,they are worth a lot more.
I rarely see NOM Corvettes for sale, where are you finding this wealth of sales information? No denial true numbers matching cars often sell for a higher price. How much depends on how desireable or rare the configuration is.

Sure, owners tend to defend what they own be it a NOM or a numbers car. Nobody likes to have their car bashed. My observation has been the numbers crowd, mainly investors, tries hard to sell the value of numbers hoping to pump up the prices. I don't see nearly as many NOM owners doing the opposite. A NOM is a perfectly valid choice for those who don't care about originality or wish to spend their money on other things.

My SWAG is at least a 20% premium for documented originals.
Probably a good guess. Documentation being very important when considering high performance cars, more likely to be faked.

Originally Posted by sub006
Absolutely, numbers or not, if the frame or birdcage are rusted or bent, the project can turn into a nightmare.

BTW: I owned a 67 big block convertible for about a year, a NOM. A driver which I brought to Carlisle, last minute change when my everyday car blew a power steering hose. I parked the car with all other non Corvettes, hadn't planned to sell it. None the less every time I came back to drop off parts I had bought, someone was waiting to ask if I'd sell it. Some were put off by the NOM, no big deal. Others were not. I sold the car that day. The fact it was a NOM wasn't a big deal to some, most likely sold for less than an original. OK, I hadn't paid the price for an original in the first place...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Why would it be a big deal if someone owned a NOM? Is it a mark of shame?

It's not a mark of shame. Original is simply worth more.

I rarely see NOM Corvettes for sale, where are you finding this wealth of sales information?

The vast majority of C-1 & C-2 Corvette's are NOM and actual sales prices show that original cars are worth more than those are not.

A NOM is a perfectly valid choice for those who don't care about originality or wish to spend their money on other things.

I agree
Old 06-22-2013, 10:25 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

I have an observation to make on this Topic. It seems to me that more 63 owner's look at 67's than 67 owner's look at 63's. Just a thought, nothing more. Al W.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

I rarely see NOM Corvettes for sale, where are you finding this wealth of sales information?

The vast majority of C-1 & C-2 Corvette's are NOM and actual sales prices show that original cars are worth more than those are not.I'm not disputing this, just saying I rarely see a NOM Corvette for sale, makes it harder to estimate the premium paid for numbers. Are there many admitted NOM C2's for sale? When I look at C3's, you'd think it was very rare to find one without matching numbers. Could just be a different crowd.

Can anybody say for certain whether a C1 is a NOM or not? When did Chevrolet begin to stamp partial VINs on the blocks?

A NOM is a perfectly valid choice for those who don't care about originality or wish to spend their money on other things.

I agree[/QUOTE]
Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Personally, I've NEVER seen two cars that are in identical condition. That's the biggest reason for the disparity of price.

Get notified of new replies

To Price differences

Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
When did Chevrolet begin to stamp partial VINs on the blocks?
Approx. car #1600 of the 1960 model year.

Jim
Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal

It seems to me that more 63 owner's look at 67's than 67 owner's look at 63's.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
It seems to me that more 63 owner's look at 67's than 67 owner's look at 63's.
Originally Posted by MikeM
That is clearly your perception...........someone who owns a '63 may see it differently.

Quick Reply: Price differences