C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Towanda Sticker on 67 BB, Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Swatter0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Towanda Sticker on 67 BB, Question!

Hello fellow NCRS members. I had my 67 corvette BB 427/390 car judged today at a chapter meet. I was told that the Towanda sticker that goes on the RH valve cover was actually put on the valve cover before painting and once the valve cover was painted it had a thin film over the front that was peeled off. This way when you run your finger across the sticker you would not feel the ridge of the sticker, but rather it would be completely smooth. Has anyone else experienced this at a judging event? The NCRS judge doing the car seemed very knowledgeable. Please let me know if anyone can shed some light on this topic. Thanks. Chuck
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Probably get a deduct if it says "Towanda" on it, too.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

What he said is true. I guess they thought it would stick better on raw metal than paint. I think some NCRS member still has a few of the factory stickers but are not for sale. I think a point or 2 is all the deduct is.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That`s the way it was done.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He is correct. That's the way it was done.
So what I did was make a mask to cover the decal.
Take a piece of Scotch Tape and remove most of the sticky of the scotch tape by lightly pressing it your tee shirt a couple of times. This make's the tape not so sticky and will not remove the lettering on the decal.
Then apply the tape to the top of the decal, trim the excess scotch tape leaving a tab at the front edge for removal after the valve cover has been painted.
You can now apply the decal to the valve cover, paint the valve cover and then remove the mask that you made covering the decal.
Now you have your decal applied the same way it was done in the factory.
Hope this make sense.
Bill
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Bill I was the judge who pointed that out and that's what I said to do. I wanted to wait to post and see what others said.

He had a real nice car and wanted him to do well in Hampton next month.

And Chuck I did some research on that vinyl in the back of your car and that is incorrect. The factory did that from 63-66. And 67's were painted fiberglass back there.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Bill I was the judge who pointed that out and that's what I said to do. I wanted to wait to post and see what others said.

He had a real nice car and wanted him to do well in Hampton next month.

And Chuck I did some research on that vinyl in the back of your car and that is incorrect. The factory did that from 63-66. And 67's were painted fiberglass back there.
Keith
You must be thinking of someone else's car? According to my judging sheets you have never judged my car's interior?
My car is on display at the NCM so I can't check it but my pictures show no vinyl and I have never had anyone question it at either NCRS or Bloomington.
Bill
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

No bill I judged the op car
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Here's an original Tonawanda valve cover label with the top mask layer still in place; they bent the mask layer tab over to the right, painted the engine, then removed the mask layer.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Here's an original Tonawanda valve cover label with the top mask layer still in place; they bent the mask layer tab over to the right, painted the engine, then removed the mask layer.
Thats cool John I had never seen one before. I made a mask for the repo one I used on my car and I see now that I put the tap at the wrong end. O'well the Judges never picked up on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Towanda Sticker on 67 BB, Question!

Quick Reply: Towanda Sticker on 67 BB, Question!