C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to tell an original front clip from a jig fitted replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
hotrodtohell68
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to tell an original front clip from a jig fitted replacement?

Should I be able to tell the difference between an original factory front fiberglass clip over an aftermarket jig fitted copy?. Is there a book the shows what is correct for each year?.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real experts should be checking in soon on this, but I believe the front end on original cars are made up of a series of Fiberglas sections bonded together with backing or bonding strips that supported butt joints of Fiberglas or helped the Fiberglas pieces to adhere to the birdcage. Aftermarket front clips were generally one piece and did not have bonding strips you could see and feel from underneath.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

It will be tough to tell an aftermarket jig-fitted front end from an original but there are a couple signs that could be looked for. One is the color of the fiberglass. Although the replacement jig-fitted front ends come in original colors there may still be slight color shifts between it and any uncoated areas of the rest of the original car. Also, the original bonding agent was fairly thick bodied and from what I've seen, kind of a dark gray-black color. The factory liberally applied it and what squeezed out on the underside was not a big concern from an appearance standpoint. Some of the aftermarket bonding agents and modern panel adhesives are thinner and of different color and are not going to be easy to mimic this with. And finally the exterior surfaces of most aftermarket jig-fitted front ends are gel coated where originals were not. Of course once painted, this can't be seen any more.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The only front clips without bonding strips are haid laid fibberglass You should see that within seconds of looking under the hood The way of telling is not what type of front end rather then how it was put on the car It can take lots of years to see.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:59 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I can tell, but its hard to tell you how to tell.

I probably built most of them.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If your talking midyears. I can tell at a glance. Some things are, no dimple on the left side drip rail, The aftermarket drip rails never look right and the glass in much thicker than the orig. parts. Just to name a few.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

On later C1s the second "T" in the word CORVETTE is slightly higher than the other letters on an original front end; weird but true. Most clip replacements have them all the same height. Also poorly placed front letters are a dead giveaway - check this mess out.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
mscaggs (10-25-2023)
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the difference in cost between a one piece molded front clip and an aftermarket jig fit unit?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 AM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

There is a good bit of price increase going to a new jig front end vs a one piece H/L (hand laid) piece. A one piece H/L piece is around 1300 dollars however you have to rember the one piece front end doens't come with inner fenders so that would have to be factored in the total cost.

I ordered a jig fit front end for the 66 from Shemershiem (sp?) and should be getting it in a month +/-. They had a 12 week wait which was fine with me as I just factored that in my build schdeule. Having used their rear fenders before I can't say enough positive things about the fit. They were both spot on. Which is a big detratction from the H/L fiberglass pieces as their fit isn't always very good.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by aworks
If your talking midyears. I can tell at a glance. Some things are, no dimple on the left side drip rail, The aftermarket drip rails never look right and the glass in much thicker than the orig. parts. Just to name a few.
It depends on the knowledge and skill of the installer. These things can taken care of if wanted, but generally we don't go to the trouble of those details when just assembling the front for sale.

Some fiberglass manufacturers are better at matching colors and textures than others. Most parts are different enough from originals that a knowledgeable person can tell, even if the installer takes care of the details.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would advise against buying an assembled front clip from Sermershiem. I bought the full front from them and the fit between the panels was so bad that my body man had to take every thing apart and re-glue. He called and they did reimburse for the assembly charge. Mine was a C1. There is no way them have a very elaborate jig for C1s based on some of the very obvious things that were missaligned on mine.

The panels are great, but just would never pay them to assemble another one.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:56 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Aside from any color differences that might show and the drip rail dimple, there is the way the edges of the holes in the steel nose support appeared when stamped at the factory.

I bought a jig fit assembly from a west coast vendor years ago. The body shop corrected those differences, as well as the lack of a cut out in the bottom valence of 66-7 cars. The cut out became necessary to clear the AC drier (during body drop) after the rad support was changed.

Last edited by magicv8; 06-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by magicv8
Aside from any color differences that might show and the drip rail dimple, there is the way the edges of the holes in the steel nose support appeared when stamped at the factory.

I bought a jig fit assembly from a west coast vendor years ago. The body shop corrected those differences, as well as the lack of a cut out in the bottom valence of 66-7 cars. The cut out became necessary to clear the AC drier (during body drop) after the rad support was changed.
Yes the header bar had rolled edges on the holes for the emblem. That was true until early 67 when the 67 emblem came about. The 67 emblem had a narrow pins, thus the need for different holes. Early 67s had the narrower holes overlapping the old 66 holes creating a double hole. Later in 67 the holes were changed to the 67 style. Over the counter bars were then supplied with the 67 configuration with sharp edged holes. All header bars since that time have had the sharp holes. The only way to do it right is use an old bar.

Get notified of new replies

To How to tell an original front clip from a jig fitted replacement?

Quick Reply: How to tell an original front clip from a jig fitted replacement?