C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Bill6t7
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip Stick

New owner of '67 with L79 engine. Just had the vehicle gone over by local Corvette mechanic (old school type who worked on this type of car when they were new). One of the comments he made was that the car had the wrong dip stick; should be a chrome one. He also indicated the car has the larger sized oil pan.

My question is whether there is a special dip stick for the larger sized oil pan. Should I just get a chrome topped one and call it good?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

67 were not chromed. He was thinking of 65-66 L79's. also it should have a 4 quart pan
Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill6t7
New owner of '67 with L79 engine. Just had the vehicle gone over by local Corvette mechanic (old school type who worked on this type of car when they were new). One of the comments he made was that the car had the wrong dip stick; should be a chrome one. He also indicated the car has the larger sized oil pan.

My question is whether there is a special dip stick for the larger sized oil pan. Should I just get a chrome topped one and call it good?
1965 was the last year for the "large" (6-quart system) oil pan, only used on solid-lifter engines. Both natural and chrome dipsticks were used on 1967 L-79 engines - either one is acceptable in judging. If you really do have the "large" oil pan, it uses the same dipstick length as the standard pan; the "full" oil level relative to the crankshaft was the same for both pans. If you have power steering, you have the standard pan.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Bill6t7
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dip Stick

Thank you. I think I will go with what is on the engine since numbers on engine components are matching. No power steering so it must be the 4 quart pan.

Get notified of new replies

To Dip Stick

Quick Reply: Dip Stick