C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Autolifter/All American lift (need pulleys)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
batman1414
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Autolifter/All American lift (need pulleys)

Anyone have to replace their pulleys on their Autolifter (All American ) lift if so where did you get them from?
Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Autolifter

Try target lifts at this address. They bought Autolifter and can supply pullies etc. The only parts I wasn't happy with are the pully spacers, instead of the nice machined bronze Autolifter parts they sell crudely cut sections of tubing that don't work well. On the other hand the pullies that they sell are steel rather than the plastic or polycarbonate parts that came with the lift. Let me know how you make out. Rich http://www.targetlifts.com/index.html
Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXTYTWO
Try target lifts at this address. They bought Autolifter and can supply pullies etc. The only parts I wasn't happy with are the pully spacers, instead of the nice machined bronze Autolifter parts they sell crudely cut sections of tubing that don't work well. On the other hand the pullies that they sell are steel rather than the plastic or polycarbonate parts that came with the lift. Let me know how you make out. Rich http://www.targetlifts.com/index.html
I think I remember those plastic pulleys being changed out at no cost by Autolifters as some sort of re-call or service bulletin. I know they sent me new steel ones without cost before going under. Possibly the original spacers can be re-used.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,169 Likes on 487 Posts

No plastic pullies on my AutoLifter. They are steel from the factory.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM
batman1414
Advanced

Thanks SixtyTwo for the web site info on Target Lifts. I have a call into them. my problem is I can find 4 inch pulleys with 3/4 shaft but they all have 3/8 groves for the pulley. When I measured my cable it looks to be 1/2 inch. we will see if Target Lifts has correct ones.
(I also have metal pulleys since mine was bought in 2005, but I have had two times when my pulleys have begin to wobble) Center piece came away from the pulley
Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up a free lift that was being taken out of a repair shop. It was completely out of date but I was able to get all of the wear items to rebuild it from here:

http://www.sviinternational.com/
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM
batman1414
Advanced

update: I got a pulley from SVI but it will not work with my size cable
(they only have pulleys in 4 inch for 3/8 cable. I did find out that my cable on my Autolifter is 7/16. I guess they installed this size on some of their larger units. Target Lifts is looking into seeing if they can get me something
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by batman1414
update: I got a pulley from SVI but it will not work with my size cable
(they only have pulleys in 4 inch for 3/8 cable. I did find out that my cable on my Autolifter is 7/16. I guess they installed this size on some of their larger units. Target Lifts is looking into seeing if they can get me something
Interesting. Mine is the 9,000#/27,000# truck lift (as opposed to the 7,000#/21,000# car lift) and uses the 3/8" cable.

Can't you just go to a machinist and have pulleys made?

Last edited by toddalin; 07-03-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 AM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe try McMaster Carr? They seem to have everything.
Bruce
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default lift parts

If anyone has or knows where I can get the bronze bushings please let me know. Rich
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

If anyone has or knows where I can get the bronze bushings please let me know. Rich
McFadden-Dale Hardware could be a source. They have a web site.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Mastr Fab
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I buy replacement steel pulleys from American Wire Rope and Sling. They are a supplier of cable used on construction equiptment.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:08 PM
rogernison
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bronze bushings

Call any power transmission distributer, such as, Kaman industrial,Motion industries, Grainger, Applied Industrial, probably others
Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 PM
batman1414
Advanced

ended up getting pulleys at Target Lifts International in Texas. they grooved them to fit my 7/16 cables
Old 10-05-2016, 06:47 AM
jschaible
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get the Old Pulley Out?

I saw your post about replacing the M6 Autolifters composite pulleys. I have an M6 four post lift where one of the composite pulleys (right rear) failed so I have purchase a high quality steel replacement.

Trouble is, I can't figure out out to get the pulley shaft down and out of the lift so I can insert the new pulley.

Can you tell me how this done? Each pulley has a set-screw which I have removed. I can now rotate the shaft, but I can't seem to get it down and out with vice grips. Access from the top is blocked by the welded-on diamond plate for the car wheels. Can you help me out with some "how to" instructions?

Thanks,
Jack Schaible
Lebanon, NJ
jaschaible@yahoo.com
C 908-627-2801
Old 10-05-2016, 02:24 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Jack - are you sure it's an Autolifters M6? Does it looks like this? If so, the collar with the set screw needs to be removed which is shown in the second picture. Then galvanized steel pulley and cable guard is removed and the pulley will slide off the shaft as long as there is slack in the cable. There's no need to try to remove the shaft as I think it is continuous through the steel member and into the locking dog.

Be sure to tighten that collar set screw tightly when re-installing. Actually a little blue thread locker is probably not a bad idea.
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM
jschaible
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Jack - are you sure it's an Autolifters M6? Does it looks like this? If so, the collar with the set screw needs to be removed which is shown in the second picture. Then galvanized steel pulley and cable guard is removed and the pulley will slide off the shaft as long as there is slack in the cable. There's no need to try to remove the shaft as I think it is continuous through the steel member and into the locking dog.

Be sure to tighten that collar set screw tightly when re-installing. Actually a little blue thread locker is probably not a bad idea.
Dan,
Its the same lift as in your picture, but I'm trying to get at the top pulley underneath the diamond plate. I don't see a collar in this area. See attached picture.

Get notified of new replies

To Autolifter/All American lift (need pulleys)

Old 10-05-2016, 03:55 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohh - I'm sorry. I didn't realize you meant those pulleys. My originals are still in place. I will take a look at it and see if I can figure out what to do.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:08 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

There must have been a model update before my lift was built. Mine has steel pulleys under the ramps and they are run on a big axle bolt that screws in from underneath into a nut welded to the cross beam. There is a spacer on top of the pulley but it's loose and doesn't have a set screw. Not sure what you will need to do on yours. Maybe someone else has one like yours.

Edit - if the pulleys had a set screw and loosening them allows the shaft to rotate then possibly the shaft is scored from the set screw and hanging up when you try to remove it. You might try backing the set screws out a little more. Does the shaft have any vertical movement at all? If still no good - maybe you can pry under the lower pulley and move it up on the shaft in hopes of it freeing up. There appears to be room for the pulleys to slide upwards on the shaft.

Apparently my lift must have been a transitional model. It has steel pulleys under the ramps but composite pulleys (which I changed out) at the columns.
Attached Images  

Last edited by DansYellow66; 10-05-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 PM
jschaible
4th Gear

Mine has shaft with no bolt head as you can see in my previously sent picture. I can rotate the bottom of the shaft 360 with vice grips, and also move the shaft up and down a very small distance, but it won't drop down and out.

Quick Reply: Autolifter/All American lift (need pulleys)