C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

58 - Holes for side trim question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Frank....I never knew that. Do you know if the complaint was that it's too short? Has it ever been fixed?

I still have my old stainless...and it fits a lot better. I guess I'll be pounding it out and fixing the dents on it. The thing that sucks about it, is that I bought this a long time ago from CC and it's just been sitting...waiting to be put on...now I'm stuck with it, can't sell it, and I'm pretty sure I can't return it. Kind of pisses me off.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new side molding....the stuff I have just doesn't fit.
Is there only one manufacture for this stuff? If there are more than one, anyone recommend who makes the best fit? I noticed on Corvette Central's website, they say "New Tooling" for 331230L and 331230R...so maybe they have got it right by now??? What I get is one of my pieces is 1/2" shorter at the end.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:43 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

BTW....I filled my existing holes and drilled new ones where the holes should be...came out good.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Can someone tell me where the holes are located for the bottom front stainless that is in front of the door?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jusplainwacky
Can someone tell me where the holes are located for the bottom front stainless that is in front of the door?

From front to back, number them 1,2,3,4

1 and 2 are for t-bolts and are 7/8 and 8 inches back from the front edge.

4 and 3 are for clips and are 3/4 and 9 inches ahead of the back edge.

To check measurements, 2 and 3 are 8 inches apart
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thanks....
Old 07-09-2013, 08:21 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Hello - I went to mark the holes giving your measurements and they don't add up. I don't get 8" between the center holes as you say...I get more like 9.
How about just measuring from one side and not both?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Hello - I went to mark the holes giving your measurements and they don't add up. I don't get 8" between the center holes as you say...I get more like 9.
How about just measuring from one side and not both?
It is important that you locate the end holes at the right distance from the edge. That's why I measured from the front and back edges.

7/8, 8, 16, 24-1/4 from the front edge.

edit: The stainless is 25 inches long.

Last edited by mashinter; 07-10-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Thank for giving me those measurements. I was hoping you maybe didn't measure it right, otherwise I think I might have an issue.
I measured the distance from the door gap to the front wheel well right long the holes and I got 26 inches. Can you tell me what yours is? This means if I center the stainless I would have 1/2" gap on both sides...or if I moved it down closer to the door gap so it lines up with the door stainless better, I'd have like 3/4" gap in the front...that seems pretty big.

I have another question....that I posted on the forum that you maybe able to answer if you have your stainless off the car. My corner molding on the door doesn't seem to fit right. It doesn't lay flat on the car...and there is a gap between it and the body. Is it possible for you to send me a picture of the body where this corner is located? My body doesn't really have any crease there...and I don't know if it should and if that is why it isn't laying flat. I'm thinking that maybe it all got sanded too much.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-question.html
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Hey Frank....I never knew that. Do you know if the complaint was that it's too short? Has it ever been fixed?
Maybe not so much short as misshapen; IIRC Stan of Stan's Customs on here had the same issue and we went through a round of measuring that passenger side upper fender piece and determined it was just poorly curved and not necessarily short

Folks sometimes say that the factory delivered cars had bad fitting trim too - but take a look at the superb fit on this freshly delivered '61 the British used on their MIRA study of the Corvette - perfect fit.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-10-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

That's what I thought for the 2 hours I was fighting it. It' wasn't until taking a dozen measurements on both sides of the car and having them all be the same that I ended up aligning the two pieces together and one is slight less then 1/2" shorter.
These cars can be a real PITA sometimes.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM
mashinter
Drifting

I measured the distance from the door gap to the front wheel well right long the holes and I got 26 inches. Can you tell me what yours is?

I have another question....that I posted on the forum that you maybe able to answer if you have your stainless off the car. My corner molding on the door doesn't seem to fit right. It doesn't lay flat on the car...and there is a gap between it and the body. Is it possible for you to send me a picture of the body where this corner is located? My body doesn't really have any crease there...and I don't know if it should and if that is why it isn't laying flat. I'm thinking that maybe it all got sanded too much.
I get almost 25-1/4 from edge to edge right through the holes.

The square is sitting on top of the end holes for the front stainless pieces:

The stainless is sitting loose on the door: (This is my original corner piece. The ones I got from Chevy in the 70s didn't sit right.)

Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

So the mystery is solved....my distance is 3/4" longer...argh. The question now is...do I move the stainless closer to the door gap so that it looks like the top gap, center it and have a gap on both sides, or grind the fender back, which would require a lot of work to ensure the curve looked uniform.

Thanks for the pic from the side of your door. It appears that your crease is more pronounced than mine, but it's hard to tell. My molding fits flat on the outside like yours...does it sit flat on the side also or is there a gap like mine shows?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Frank...that picture shows me that the piece of stainless on the lower front comes right to the edge. Now I'm getting more disturbed.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:05 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Thanks for the pic from the side of your door. It appears that your crease is more pronounced than mine, but it's hard to tell. My molding fits flat on the outside like yours...does it sit flat on the side also or is there a gap like mine shows?
Here's from the front:

Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I hope you are keeping in mind that both the top and bottom fender molding rear edges can NOT line up with the edge of the door jamb. The molding has to stop BEFORE the edge or it will grab the door as it opens.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

Yes...well aware of this. But thanks for the reminder.

Get notified of new replies

To 58 - Holes for side trim question

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I have two sets of corner molding...this piece seems to fit better, although the crease isn't a pronounced. And the second picture show if I line up the stainless to the door leaving the necessary gap as Frank pointed out...I end up with this...

Last edited by jusplainwacky; 07-10-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:37 AM
mashinter
Drifting

And the second picture show if I line up the stainless to the door leaving the necessary gap as Frank pointed out...I end up with this...

I have seen cars with a gap like yours. The only reason I noticed it was the coves were a contrasting color. I would just leave it as is, even if you are going to paint the coves a contrasting color. Anything that low on the car is almost invisible.

If it bothers you a lot, maybe one of the stainless guys could splice two repro pieces into one that is longer.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM
jusplainwacky
Melting Slicks

I called Paragon...and CC....both cannot make a custom piece.

I have a couple of questions....

I noticed that the X-Flags holes on both sides on my car are in different locations. Should the holes be in-line with the middle spear? Can someone give me a reference measurements of where the holes should be?

Secondly....I'd like to know what is off when it comes to this lower stainless. My question are....when the front-end was put on, did they put it too far back from the door gap, or is the wheel well opening off. Since I have the 25 1/4" measurement from MASHINTER, can someone tell me the inside measurement of the wheel well that would be inline with the stainless molding?

I see all the cars have the molding right to the edge so this is bugging me.

Quick Reply: 58 - Holes for side trim question