C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Coil...........again

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Coil...........again

First time fail was middle of Nevada 2 years ago .. Having a backup spare coil along as part of the tool kit got things up and running in short order. A couple of weekends ago.........clear sky sun shining......a great day for a round robin 100 mile cruise in the '64.

Idling at a stoplight, the engine suddenly dies (twice). Both times the engine fires back up and runs good. Further up the road.........the engine bucks sharply a couple of times with symptoms similar to the first time imminent coil fail 2 years prior.
​​​​​​What to do but cut trip short. The engine bucks several more times but the coil holds up on the way back home.

Both fails were Accel brand coils. The 3rd replacement coil is an MSD brand unit. .. Hopefully, this one makes the grade.
What is it with these modern day ignition coils only lasting a while (how ever long that might be), then kaput . ..
Just wanted to throw this one out there.
John
Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Try the MSD 8222 hi- temp, hi-vibration coil.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:57 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Accel used to be the go to. Sad.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:09 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

are you using a ballast resistor?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
are you using a ballast resistor?
That's the first thing I wondered.

Are you putting a full 12V to the coil constantly?

Maybe you have one of those special electronic ignitions. You don't mention that.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:26 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I went through 3 coils in short order - 2 Pertronix and one MSD unit. I finally went back to ac delco and so far so good. I think it has to do with the poor quality of some of today's parts.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
That's the first thing I wondered.

Are you putting a full 12V to the coil constantly?
That is, what's the status of the wiring to your ballast resistor?

Originally Posted by vettepoor
I think it has to do with the poor quality of some of today's parts.
My two thoughts exactly.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would think a full 12V would fry the points 1st.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Voltage needs to be reduced to the coil if running points. If ok, and coils are failing, I have heard/read that the new non-toxic fillers in coils do not work as well as the old stuff. Same with condensers, etc. PCB's aren't always a bad thing. Same with ballast resistors....new ones go bad more often than the old, toxic ones.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Voltage needs to be reduced to the coil if running points. If ok, and coils are failing, I have heard/read that the new non-toxic fillers in coils do not work as well as the old stuff. Same with condensers, etc. PCB's aren't always a bad thing. Same with ballast resistors....new ones go bad more often than the old, toxic ones.
The points and coil are repeatedly hit/exposed to 12v while you're driving down the road. A ballast resistor doesn't change that. The ballast merely limits the peak current that can flow through the system, keeping things from fusing open.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69427
The points and coil are repeatedly hit/exposed to 12v while you're driving down the road. A ballast resistor doesn't change that. The ballast merely limits the peak current that can flow through the system, keeping things from fusing open.
Yes, but it is good to point out that the effect of the resistance in the circuit is a voltage drop and why its popular to say "you need a ballast resistor in the primary circuit to drop the voltage" when in fact you need it to limit current, that's why its called a ballast, same as fluorescent lamp ballasts which though inductors do the same thing. Operating a coil at its maximum capability will shorten its life as well as the life of the points having to interrupt the high current.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 03-28-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:32 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

When I was 17 years old I kept going through ignition coils after my resistor wire on my '67 Camaro shorted out. I replaced the wire not knowing it was a resistor wire. Ended up buying a Chrysler style ballast resistor and I immediately stopped burning up coils.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
First time fail was middle of Nevada 2 years ago .. Having a backup spare coil along as part of the tool kit got things up and running in short order. A couple of weekends ago.........clear sky sun shining......a great day for a round robin 100 mile cruise in the '64.

Idling at a stoplight, the engine suddenly dies (twice). Both times the engine fires back up and runs good. Further up the road.........the engine bucks sharply a couple of times with symptoms similar to the first time imminent coil fail 2 years prior.
​​​​​​What to do but cut trip short. The engine bucks several more times but the coil holds up on the way back home.

Both fails were Accel brand coils. The 3rd replacement coil is an MSD brand unit. .. Hopefully, this one makes the grade.
What is it with these modern day ignition coils only lasting a while (how ever long that might be), then kaput . ..
Just wanted to throw this one out there.
John
Coil is a passive or non-wear part. Only thing that can destroy the fine wire windings would be heat whether internal from high current or external from conductive, convective or radiated heat. Well maybe heat combined with vibration. Possible mechanical damage from overtightened bracket clamps to.
Overcurrent would be something like high power capacitive discharge box. Modern performance coils shouldn't need a ballast resistor.
Coil mounting could be in hot location and in contact with hot metal parts.

What I'm saying is something is aggravating the coil to failure as it shouldn't fail in a static environment without added stress.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more common for electrical parts to fail right out of the box or shortly thereafter. It really makes one doubt one's diagnostic skills when the replacement part doesn't cure the problem. I don't remember this happening when parts were made in the USA.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
Unfortunately, it is becoming more and more common for electrical parts to fail right out of the box or shortly thereafter. It really makes one doubt one's diagnostic skills when the replacement part doesn't cure the problem. I don't remember this happening when parts were made in the USA.
Boy does it ever.

And, for the record, static part or not, I've had several coils fail, many just crapped out or went intermittent, some just started oozing the cooling oil. And I don't over-tighten or abuse them. I've had others last decades...
Old 03-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Boy does it ever.

And, for the record, static part or not, I've had several coils fail, many just crapped out or went intermittent, some just started oozing the cooling oil. And I don't over-tighten or abuse them. I've had others last decades...
That seems to be the experience of several here on the forum. It's my guess/speculation that some of the aftermarket suppliers don't look past the static part, and neglect to consider that the coil windings grow (from heat) every time the engine is run, and shrink back down every time the engine compartment is allowed to cool down. This bigger and smaller size cycling has a habit of fatiguing/breaking internal connections if the design doesn't allow for this cycling.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69427
... coil windings grow (from heat) every time the engine is run, and shrink back down every time the engine compartment is allowed to cool down. This bigger and smaller size cycling has a habit of fatiguing/breaking internal connections if the design doesn't allow for this cycling....
I knew that from my days at the phone company dealing with relay coils. You are exactly right. Ignition coils work hard and handle high voltage in a hostile environment of heat, grease, moisture and vibration. OEM coils were designed to cope with this. At least 3 of my relics are running their original 60+ year old coils and I'd never think to replace them until they quit because of the low-quality of replacements.

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Coil...........again

Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

No ballast resistor in use, the coil was receiving a full 12 volts. Running with a Pertronix 3 ignition module in place of points. Pertronix instructions recommend the P3 receive a full 12 volts for optimum performance using a coil rated at.032 ohms, or greater.

The Accel 8145 coil that was used both times is their 'breakerless electronic coil' (.7 ohms). It would seem ignition coils rated for high performance use should be built able to handle heat cycles, expansion, et al over the long haul without giving up the ghost. Ignition coil manufacturers must be aware of these coil failures.............yet the problem persists.
John
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by dplotkin
I knew that from my days at the phone company dealing with relay coils. You are exactly right. Ignition coils work hard and handle high voltage in a hostile environment of heat, grease, moisture and vibration. OEM coils were designed to cope with this. At least 3 of my relics are running their original 60+ year old coils and I'd never think to replace them until they quit because of the low-quality of replacements.

Dan
I'm running the (comparatively) youthful original 48 year old coil in my '69 (with an HEI module and no ballast resistance).

I have a few old Delco can coils sitting on the shelf for a backup/replacement, but the dust layer on them keeps growing every year.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:01 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
I posted this awhile back, but I'll go over it again: a couple of years ago I had to replace an AC Delco ignition coil on a GM HEI from the '80's. Went to the AC warehouse and finally got a good coil after 3 tested bad (ohms out of spec) right out of the box brand new. Made in Mexico.

Quick Reply: Coil...........again