C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Economical way to ship a trans and bell housing etc from OR to NY ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Economical way to ship a trans and bell housing etc from OR to NY ?

So I bought the T10, bell housing and starter etc from our bud Russ out in OR, but now I have to get it to NY state?
The trans alone is about 90lbs, plus the rest.
Russ figures three boxes would be best, and I'm in no rush, any ideas on a economical reliable way to get it from OR to NY?

Paul
Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
So I bought the T10, bell housing and starter etc from our bud Russ out in OR, but now I have to get it to NY state?
The trans alone is about 90lbs, plus the rest.
Russ figures three boxes would be best, and I'm in no rush, any ideas on a economical reliable way to get it from OR to NY?

Paul
Go Greyhound or other bus service. Not the quickest but cheap.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

by bus (used to be the cheapest), or freight all strapped to a single pallet.

fwiw, here's how my trans was shipped; by the label on the bellhousing box (the unopened box next to the transmission box in one of the pix), they were shipped UPS or FedEx.
Bill
Attached Images     
Old 07-11-2013, 06:02 AM
A-Snake
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

uship.com is an option. Shippers bid on the job. If it helps fill a truck for a trip, prices can be very reasonable.
Works best when the shipment doesn't have to be picked up on a specific day.
I've used it a few times and it went very well.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Default T-10

I've shipped a few T-10 S via UPS or Fed Ex. The main thing is to protect it from damage. I buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood and build a crate. Add 2X4 supports inside and protect the input shaft. I also put handles on the end. Costs about $30.00 and fed ex will run around $90.00. Rich
Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I bought a heavy duty plastic storage container at Lowes or Home Depot a few years ago and shipped a transmission in it back and forth to the rebuilder. I zipped tied the lid in place, had no problems and the transmission fit inside cornor to cornor.

I used FedEx but you should also check Grayhound.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXTYTWO
I've shipped a few T-10 S via UPS or Fed Ex. The main thing is to protect it from damage. I buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood and build a crate. Add 2X4 supports inside and protect the input shaft. I also put handles on the end. Costs about $30.00 and fed ex will run around $90.00. Rich
I just shipped a 107# package in a plywood box from Tex to Montana by UPS. Cost $150. Fedex won't take that heavy of a package. You might try Forward Air. They ship from large airport to large airport very cheaply. Last I checked Greyhound wasn't any cheaper.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 AM
steveale
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A-Snake
uship.com is an option. Shippers bid on the job. If it helps fill a truck for a trip, prices can be very reasonable.
Works best when the shipment doesn't have to be picked up on a specific day.
I've used it a few times and it went very well.
x2....it is like a reverse ebay. shippers compete for your biz, price goes down as the bidders compete. Look at their ratings and reviews closely and go with the best rating for the lowest $$.

I shipped my 1942 Harley using this service from California to GA in an enclosed trailer for ~$700 door to door. I'm sure your stuff would be considerably less....if you have it palletized then truckers bid too. I didn't want my harley on a pallet, I wanted a more white glove service so the cost was a bit more (still a bargain in my book)...

good luck.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by steveale
x2....it is like a reverse ebay. shippers compete for your biz, price goes down as the bidders compete. Look at their ratings and reviews closely and go with the best rating for the lowest $$.

good luck.
That started the "reality" show Shipping Wars which is amusing since you know it's TV, but the concept is a great idea for heavy items.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
myred63
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

when Hurst Drivelines sent my Tremec cross country ( Cal to Fla ) they used www.con-way.com
Conway Trucking.... It was free for me, but tranny did arrive in perfect condition.
I imagine Hurst has a special contract , but maybe they will give you the same rate.
Good luck!
Peter
Old 07-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the great suggestions guys.
Our buddy Russ has put together some great shipping containers, told the Mrs. to stop shopping for a new coffee table, the big one will do just fine in the living room!
Now time to start dialing for dollars...

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Economical way to ship a trans and bell housing etc from OR to NY ?

Quick Reply: Economical way to ship a trans and bell housing etc from OR to NY ?