C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Air filter 66 327/300

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air filter 66 327/300

Hello, after rebuilding my original engine and replaced the stock carb with a new stock carb I'm having trouble with the engine not idling with the stock air filter and cover. It appears that the air filter is not high enough and is starving the taller venturi (little brass or bronze tube) toward the back of the carburator. The dimension of my air filter is 2 15/16". Is this the correct heigth for the filter? engine idles fine without the air cleaner. !966, 327/300HP. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

you are running the stock drop base open air cleaner. if so that is the stock size. I am not sure how that can cause a problem. when you say you remove the air cleaner, are you just removing the paper filter or the whole assembly. if the whole assembly are you sure the base is not hitting something. why couldn't you use the original carb?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by APV
It appears that the air filter is not high enough and is starving the taller venturi (little brass or bronze tube) toward the back of the carburator.
Both the primary and secondary bowl vent tubes on your Holley LIST 3367 should be cut diagonally at the top so they can't be closed by contact with the air cleaner lid - are they? You should have no such issue with the stock carburetor and air cleaner.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the come back. I can only assume it's the original drop base as it came with the car and has the proper hook up to the draft tube. This engine idles fine with the base on and filter but when I put the chrome top on it starts to choke out the idle. My original carb came in a box with a partially installed rebuild kit and pieces missing. The car had a demon carb on it. So to save grief and headaches I bought a new replacement exactly as show on the previous post. It has the angles cut on the tubes identicle to carb shown and same number. I believe it was a one year only carb.

Get notified of new replies

To Air filter 66 327/300

Quick Reply: Air filter 66 327/300