C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1961 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 PM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1961 fuel pump

I installed a new fuel pump on my 1961 and am getting no fuel. I could not get the push rod in the up position completely, about 1/3 of an inch sticking out. I did get the pump installed but it was difficult, felt like the fuel pump lever was pushing against the push rod. My question is, does the push rod go up entirely into the block or does part of it hang down. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I cannot remember if the rod goes completely up into the block or not; it will also depend on the position of the camshaft, whether the rod is on the lobe or the heel. But that would probably not make a whole lot of difference. I assume you secured the rod in the "up" position while installing the fuel pump.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 PM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Yes, I did remove the bolt for the rod and installed a longer bolt to hold it up. The rod pushes up into the block but approximately 13 to 1/2" of it remains in the way of the fuel pump lever. Tonight I am going to take it off again and turn the motor over by hand to see if there are different posisitions, I am hoping there is but thought I would check first to see if anyone knew. Thanks for you reply.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by lnorman
Yes, I did remove the bolt for the rod and installed a longer bolt to hold it up. The rod pushes up into the block but approximately 13 to 1/2" of it remains in the way of the fuel pump lever. Tonight I am going to take it off again and turn the motor over by hand to see if there are different posisitions, I am hoping there is but thought I would check first to see if anyone knew. Thanks for you reply.
Did you remember to remove the holding bolt and replace with the short one? Your pushrod sounds about right. Yes, there are different positions as the pushrod goes around the cam. It should have a long and short position on each revolution of the cam. If you left the holding bolt in, it will stroke out to the long position and never return. You can actually score the pushrod enough by doing this, that you may have to pull it and polish the marks off the rod, to allow it to stroke easily. It requires the pump spring to hold it against the cam, and if it scored up, it can keep it from following the cam.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the reply John. I did remember to remove the bolt. The rod seems to be moving freely in when moving it back and forth, as I said before, when installing the pump, the top of the lever seems to be hitting the rod slightly, giving kinda of a springy feeling when tightening up the bolts. I did turn the motor over with the pump off and it seemed like the rod was always in the same position, I will try again tonight and perform that task by hand, turning the motor that is, thanks again. In the event I were to want to take the rod out, how would I remove that, take the fuel pump plate off?
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've replaced them before with the rod half way down and used the bolts to tighten up the pump going side to side, and no problem. Soooo.....I'm thinking you may have a bad pump.
Was it NOS or sitting on a shelf for years? Or if it's a rebuilt it might have a bad diaphragm, especially if it's an off shore one, or a new off shore one. Their rubber sucks big time. When you hold it and push the lever in a few times, it should suck on one inlet and blow on the other.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Thanks, it was supposed to be new but....anyway, I will check that first tonight. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Put the motor in TDC #1 firing position (rotor at #1 plug wire on the cap), and the rod will be at its optimum location for pump installation.

Doug
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Thanks AZ, I will.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

You do have gas in the tank! Right? You may have to hold down the choke or pour a little gas in the carb before cranking. Best to have a helper and a fire extinguisher hand.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

"I did turn the motor over with the pump off and it seemed like the rod was always in the same position"

??
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Tried everything below, got the motor to TDC on 1 and the rod did go in further at that point. Taking the pump back today, nothing more I can do on my end I think. Thanks to all and I will let you know how this turns out.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I swear I've installed dozens of fuel pumps over the years and never had a single problem with the install....most recently in my '61 283ci and '67 396ci. The service manuals tell you precisely how to do a trouble free installation. Your new pump could very well be bad. Take it back and insist on an AirTek - never had a bad one.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by OC-1
"I did turn the motor over with the pump off and it seemed like the rod was always in the same position"

??
I'd be concerned about this, if it's true.

Chuck
Old 07-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
I'd be concerned about this, if it's true.

Chuck

Yep me too...something's screwy there if that really is the case. Bent rod is a possibility, it wouldn't go in all the way or would bind.... get another rod to be sure.

Then...Get someone to spin the starter while you hold the rod against he cam with your finger (pump off and out of the way)....and be sure it is moving in and out (or not).

As someone bumps the starter (or get a remote starter button)...rotate the engine a few revolutions to get a feel of how far in the rod "can" go ..then stop when the rod moves all the way in and install the pump ( providing the rod "is" moving in and out.)

Something simple is going on here...or the cam doesn't have a lobe for the pump...lol....?

Stan...
Old 07-21-2013, 02:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
:
As someone bumps the starter (or get a remote starter button)...rotate the engine a few revolutions to get a feel of how far in the rod "can" go ..then stop when the rod moves all the way in and install the pump ( providing the rod "is" moving in and out.)

Something simple is going on here...or the cam doesn't have a lobe for the pump...lol....?

Stan...
More likely that the rod is just sitting there in the channel, not in contact with the cam lobe, so it's not moving; it only strokes about 3/8". Just push it up with your finger while cranking the engine to see how it strokes.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
More likely that the rod is just sitting there in the channel, not in contact with the cam lobe, so it's not moving; it only strokes about 3/8". Just push it up with your finger while cranking the engine to see how it strokes.
...exactly. I was making an attempt at humor regarding the cam lobe missing..lol.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-21-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1961 fuel pump

Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

once i switched to an electric pump when i found a wiped FP lobe. that was on a Fiat, but it can happen
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

i does hang down some
What i did was put the hold bolt in lightly

Then put a wrench on the crank

Stick your finger in the hole and feel the rod.

Spin the crank with the wrench till you feel the rod in the full up position.

It is easy to put the pump in and have it slide beside the rod and it will not pump.

I had this happen to me
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM
lnorman
Heel & Toe

Well I am back, took back the first new pump and got a AC Delco this time. Made sure it worked, installed with all the instructions above, would not pump. Pulled the rod, had some scoring on the end of it, bought a new one, installed, put pump back on, nothing, still would not pump. Am beside myself what is going on, time for another mechanic I am afraid. Just one last thing, the in fitting on the pump is the line from the tank right and the out goes to the carb. I might also think about installing the old leaking pump to see if maybe I have a arm difference issue or something. Anything I am missing?

Quick Reply: 1961 fuel pump