C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Quality of '64-'67 console plate repro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quality of '64-'67 console plate repro?

I understand that "they" are making reproductions of the console plate assembly used on manual trans 1964-1967 Corvettes, the chromed and painted metal affair that surrounds the shifter and contains the ashtray.

Can someone in the know tell me how the quality is? Trimming out my '64 Coupe back around the turn of the century, I found out that many repro parts had some serious quality issues. My Coupe is gone, but I hope to have, before I die, another Mid-Year Coupe and if this new plate is equal in quality to the originals, I will buy one to put up.

Thanks, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not certain if more than one outfit is currently making one but I doubt it. I ordered one last April and it was September when I got it. I spoke with most of the usually supply places and they were on back order everywhere so I think everyone sources them from the same place. mine weighs about a third less than my original so something was cut back somewhere. the holes werent there for the seat belt buckle holder so I had to drill my own holes. the cheap metal is easy to drill. the appearence is so so but I wonder how long/well it will hold up.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,314 Posts

There is only one company making them, and the quality of them is okay. They fit fine, but I don't think the quality of the casting is that great. The textured area looks good, but next to an original one, the sides appear to be a little wavy. Once in the car, they don't look bad though.

It's not a great picture, but this is one of the repro shift consoles, in a friend's (almost finished) 66.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that hard to find a nice original console. Even though mine wasn't perfect I had it rechromed and repainted it like it was supposed to be.

I'd rather have a reworked original piece on my car than any repro.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 PM
mgsabrsula
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
It's not that hard to find a nice original console. Even though mine wasn't perfect I had it rechromed and repainted it like it was supposed to be.

I'd rather have a reworked original piece on my car than any repro.
What chrome shop did you use?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 AM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used A1 Plating which is over behind Hobby Airport. I don't have a number but he was in the book. He also did some bumpers for me and polished my stainless. I have some 57 Chev pickup parts to take to him soon.

One day I'm sure that little shop will be a Superfund sight.

Originally Posted by mgsabrsula
What chrome shop did you use?
Thanks,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Quality of '64-'67 console plate repro?

Quick Reply: Quality of '64-'67 console plate repro?