C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

"Corvette Correction Chassis tire choices" what's yours?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Default "Corvette Correction Chassis tire choices" what's yours?

For those that have chosen Billy Dawson's Corvette Correction aftermarket chassis for your restomod, or stock appearing C1...what tire did you decide on.

I'm particularly interested in the aspect ratio and height dimensions. ...and as always pics sure are nice if you have them, but the "real" tire dimensions are more important.

I know what I would like appearance wise...but not sure what would best for a reasonable turning radius.

Thanks...Stan
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

C5 wagon wheels with 245/45R17 on the front

For the more traditional look - steel '95 Camero wheels 7.5" X 16" with real two bar hubcaps, 215/65R16 tires.
The following users liked this post:
Loren Smith (04-07-2022)
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello again Charles and thanks for the input. I don't know whether the difference in frames would make a difference in the turning radius on the front. Does it?

How do you like the turning radius with the 245/45/17's on Billy's chassis? ...and what is the backspace on those wheels?

Thanks..Stan
Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The 17" wagon wheels have a 7" backspace.
The turning radius on Billy's frame is OK, would be nice if it were sharper, but it is what it is. I have never actually measured the turning radius compared to a stock frame.

Charles
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Charles...

Wow ..7" backspace ???

I would have guessed that it would hit the frame real quick.

One set of wheels I have has 5.5" backspace and looks like they may hit the frame a little early. I ordered the early C4 suspension (smaller rotors) so I could run 15's if I wished.

The cutout on the C.C. frame would allow more turning radius if my tires were a little shorter (maybe an inch). They are 225/70/15's....but they hit the frame before the cutout.

Thanks..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 07-21-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 PM
blandacre
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put 235/55 17s on mine. I had 215 & 225/70 15s on it and they rode and drove great but I wanted a little more tread on the ground and a different wheel. I just road tested the setup and I like it. I have 87 suspension so I had to add 15mm spacers in front and 20mm in back for tire to frame clearance with 8.5" Z06 wheels.
Bud
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blandacre
I just put 235/55 17s on mine. I had 215 & 225/70 15s on it and they rode and drove great but I wanted a little more tread on the ground and a different wheel. I just road tested the setup and I like it. I have 87 suspension so I had to add 15mm spacers in front and 20mm in back for tire to frame clearance with 8.5" Z06 wheels.
Bud
Sounds nice Bud...got any pics?

Thanks..Stan
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Stan,

It does not make any difference whose frame you use, the turning radius on these cars sucks! It is just the nature of the C4 front suspension. Most people that do not modify the quarters or front fenders, use about a 245 tire front and rear, and I have always used a stock 8.5" C5 wheel fitment. If you go wider than 245 on the front, It will start cutting into an already poor turning radius.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello John..

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't really complaining about the turning radius, just curious about it. I am surprised that a wheel with 7" back space would work very well at all.

I have the early C4 chassis with the smallest rotors C4's came with...and have custom 7 inch wide plain steel 15" rims with a 5 " backspace. I have two test tires from Diamondback (wide whites on Michelin 215/70/15's)...I just haven't mounted the wheels or tires yet...been working on other parts of the project.

The wheels and tires I'm rolling the car around the shop on are a little too big I think.. I'm hoping my new wheels and tires will be the optimum combination for maximum turning, daily driving , etc.

I've made my wheel/tire decision...but got curious what others had done. I love the way Billy's cars drive, turn , everything...and drove two of his early on. Bad mistake on my part...LOL! A stock chassis was no longer a consideration for me...then the project took on a life of it's own, which I soon discovered was completely out of my comfort zone in every way. "Everything" had to be just as nice as the chassis at that point....and I wasn't even close on my estimates of the expense it would take to build an early Corvette.
They are similar to nothing else...

Soo...it took way longer than it should..but I'm getting close to the end now...

Thanks...Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-14-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Refinishing a dash

I'm doing my dash over. The original color was Teal but I'm doing it in black. I used VHT vinyl die on the dash pads and they came out really nice. My question is, should I use the same vinyl die on the center dash unit so that it's a perfect match or should I just spray it with Krylon satin finish paint? I'm not sure if I should use this vinyl paint on a hard fiberglass surface although my dash pads are no longer as soft as they use to be from hardening in the sun. They say this die penetrates the vinyl but it just looks like a flexible paint to me.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:52 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Hello John..

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't really complaining about the turning radius, just curious about it. I am surprised that a wheel with 7" back space would work very well at all.

I have the early C4 chassis with the smallest rotors C4's came with...and have custom 7 inch wide plain steel 15" rims with a 5 " backspace. I have two test tires from Diamondback (wide whites on Michelin 215/70/15's)...I just haven't mounted the wheels or tires yet...been working on other parts of the project.

The wheels and tires I'm rolling the car around the shop on are a little too big I think.. I'm hoping my new wheels and tires will be the optimum combination for maximum turning, daily driving , etc.

I've made my wheel/tire decision...but got curious what others had done. I love the way Billy's cars drive, turn , everything...and drove two of his early on. Bad mistake on my part...LOL! A stock chassis was no longer a consideration for me...then the project took on a life of it's own, which I soon discovered was completely out of my comfort zone in every way. "Everything" had to be just as nice as the chassis at that point....and I wasn't even close on my estimates of the expense it would take to build an early Corvette.
They are similar to nothing else...

Soo...it took way longer than it should..but I'm getting close to the end now...

Thanks...Stan
Stan,

Glad to see you getting close the end of your project. We have all experienced that dreaded "job creep", where one thing leads to another and you end up doing far more work than you ever intended.

When somebody asks me about time of budget for building one of these cars, I always tell them to take the amount of money and the time they think it will take, and double both! That way they will not be quite so shocked, when even this does not get the job done!

I don't know if you heard, but Billy Dawson had a pretty big fire down at his place last week, and it did an awful lot of damage. I talked to him a few days ago, and he is still sifting through the remains to see how much stock was lost, but they are on their way to getting back up to speed.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Stan,

Glad to see you getting close the end of your project. We have all experienced that dreaded "job creep", where one thing leads to another and you end up doing far more work than you ever intended.

When somebody asks me about time of budget for building one of these cars, I always tell them to take the amount of money and the time they think it will take, and double both! That way they will not be quite so shocked, when even this does not get the job done!

I don't know if you heard, but Billy Dawson had a pretty big fire down at his place last week, and it did an awful lot of damage. I talked to him a few days ago, and he is still sifting through the remains to see how much stock was lost, but they are on their way to getting back up to speed.

Regards, John McGraw

OH NO! I hope no one got hurt and everything is ok with Billy and is business. He is currently working on my frame for a delivery date of early October.
I will need to give him a call next week to see hoow he is doing. Not too concern about my frame as I'm for his business.

Last edited by Dale002; 09-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes I did know about the fire John...bum deal. Fortunately a water line going to a large roll around evap cooler was melted and flooded the shop...which helped the fire go out. They didn't even know it had caught on fire and then extinguished itself till the next morning.

I think he said the back end of his Nomad had some paint damage but there was no major structural damage to the building, other cars....or chassis. (His chassis are built in another building Dale...so you are ok!!)

The smoke damage was visible around the out side edges of the shop door when he got there the next morning. I'm sure he went pale when he saw the evidence of smoke and realized something was really amiss.

In fact ...he said when when he realized what had happened he just turned around and went back to his house and sat for a few minutes over a cup of coffee. Took some getting ready to brace himself to go in and see how bad the damage was... Wow!!! I can I relate to that.

Fortunately the flooding reduced the damage...he said it could have been bad much worse. I guess the Lord looks over "good guys" like Billy....a water line melting and flooding the shop floor, what are the chances of that...!!

Stan...

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 09-15-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:42 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Stan,

It does not make any difference whose frame you use, the turning radius on these cars sucks! It is just the nature of the C4 front suspension. Most people that do not modify the quarters or front fenders, use about a 245 tire front and rear, and I have always used a stock 8.5" C5 wheel fitment. If you go wider than 245 on the front, It will start cutting into an already poor turning radius.

Regards, John McGraw
Hello John... Haven't talked to you in years and hope this finds you in good health.

I still have my 61 Corvette with Billy's chassis and wide white wall tires with 15" custom made steel wheels...but I'm thinking about changing it's look for while.

This thread is forever old but I always loved the red car you had back then with the C5 wheels on it, in fact have it's picture in my saved pictures to this day.
You said you used 245 tires on C5 8.5 inch rims, in this old thread. I'm assuming you used "17inch" x8.5 rims...but could you tell what tire size you used...this thread mentioned 245's but didn't mention the aspect ratio...50, 60's or whatever. Do you recall what the aspect ratio you liked best with the the 17x8.5 C5 rims?

I'm ready for something different (for a while anyway)...and wanted to do what you did on your car back then. I still think that's the prettiest restomod ever...and regret not painting mine red as well.

I think I C5 rims will work on my car even though my chassis used 1985 C4 components which were an inch narrower than the later models if I recall correctly? May need spacers, but maybe not too.... I will to do a test fit once I figure out what size tire you used, unless you happen know the answer to that as well?

Any way hope you get this message and all is well in your world...All the best...Stan Mayfield
Loren Smith (04-07-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I was hoping that pic was in this thread.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:27 AM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Great thread to resurrect! The topic is even more apropos today than 9 years ago with all the resto-mods popping up.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:46 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert61
I was hoping that pic was in this thread.
Which pics Robert...
I have several of John's car...if I can figure out how to post them,

Get notified of new replies

To "Corvette Correction Chassis tire choices" what's yours?

Old 03-27-2022, 04:50 PM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 973 Likes on 770 Posts

Look on the sticky's list for posting pictures. It is pretty simple. If this 74 year old NON-TECK savvy guy can do it so can you.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:41 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by silver837
Look on the sticky's list for posting pictures. It is pretty simple. If this 74 year old NON-TECK savvy guy can do it so can you.
Ha ha...I don't know ...
You are a whole year older than me, and have more experience, lol. If I still had Windows 98 it might easier...they can't leave anything well enough alone can they. My problem is I do it so seldom that after I learn it. I forget how when I need to do it again ( few years later).
I'm not sure whether Robert was hoping for pics of my car or John McGraw's...
silver837 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 05:55 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It has quite a bit more metallic content than stock colors...It is Mercedes Crystal Laurit Silver metallic. The car is totally unstock to include a Corvette Correction chassis and many other mods.

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 03-27-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Loren Smith (04-07-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Corvette Correction Chassis tire choices" what's yours?