C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 47 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

At the time these cars were purchased, there was no intent to follow value in either up or down trends. These cars simply "floated my boat" and they had to be mine.

All of Vettes in my garage have appreciated in value. The '62 was purchased in '70. Was this the car of choice? No, because there was more lust for the '63 Coupe, however, the market for these cars at the time was $400 to $600 dollars more, simply due to the fact they were more popular and a year newer, let alone the fact, to pony up another 600 bucks was not in the cards for me.

Looking at the market today, has this been a good investment? Without question. Not only monetarily, but the way this car helped to shape my future in terms of responsibility and the overall impact on the life shared with my wife.

The '63 Coupe was purchased in 2002 at the Bloomington Gold auction. What a beautiful car and it has fulfilled one of my youthful dreams of owning such a car. Has it appreciated in value? Without question. Both in terms of monetary gains and in life experiences.

The '65 BB Coupe was purchased on the Internet from a prominent dealer out of Ohio and at the time, thought it was a little expensive, but by today's standards, what a buy that was.

My point is this: Past performances can predict future outcome, not always, but in general this usually the case.

For the cars you believe to be too expensive today, but are in general popular and considered icons, what will the future value be to you in terms of monetary gain or personal life experiences? For me, there are way more yesterdays than tomorrows and the life experiences are the most valuable to create.

So, to answer the OP's question, we, the Boomers, want, what we have wanted since childhood, for the others, perhaps, they are the savvy investors/risk takers that want to enjoy their perceived investments.

DJ.

Last edited by DanielJ; 07-29-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
If someone would kindly let me know when these 63 SWC were not popular, I will be happy to work on the original question.........

This thread might as well be called "Beautiful Women, when did men become interested in them again?"
I concur Donny!!! I will NEVER sell my car. My survivors can do what they will with it after I'm gone. I bought it because it is lovely to look at, is a competitive RACE car, and it used to put a smile on my face every time I drove it..............NOW, well it puts a smile on EVERYONE's face every time I drive it

Last edited by 63Corvette; 07-29-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't think anybody implied for a microsecond that the SWC isn't a styling coup by any measure you care to apply. But I remember just a few years back when '58s were all the rage...the one year only stuff was just part of the appeal. Don't hear quite so much on that score as I did previously. No mistake, they are fine looking machines but I think a little time has passed and anybody that can snag a C1 in good shape is very happy regardless of the year...
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I love the 58....... the fat Elvis of the solid axle family...
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 60 only because it is my favorite and was willing to put the work into restoring it. I would probably trade it for a 63 coupe or a 67 big block because I love both. If I had already had either for a length of time, I would likely be willing to trade for a C1.
C1, SWC, BB67 are the ones I would own if I had a 5 car garage and enough $.
LP
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default As a 63 Coupe owner

I would venture to say that nearly all the present owners never was a 63 Vette owner....and never had first hand knowledge of the 63....I guess they are thought of as the 'Cool Vettes'....cool like hell, the interiors are very hot as almost no ventilation inside especially with FI cars......and that neat rear window may be considered as good styling, however 3 speeding tickets and I almost couldn't wait for the 64 one piece rear window.....But leaks were not a problem because they all leaked and was an acceptable Vette feature for any year....Well new Vette owner, they are not as neat {or cool} as they look.....too me the 66 and 67 are a better choice.....427......

Last edited by Ironcross; 07-30-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I would venture to say that nearly all the present owners never was a 63 Vette owner....and never had first hand knowledge of the 63....I guess they are thought of as the 'Cool Vettes'....cool like hell, the interiors are very hot as almost no ventilation inside especially with FI cars......and that neat rear window may be considered as good styling, however 3 speeding tickets and I almost couldn't wait for the 64 one piece rear window.....But leaks were not a problem because they all leaked and was an acceptable Vette feature for any year....Well new Vette owner, they are not as neat {or cool} as they look.....too me the 66 and 67 are a better choice.....427......
Funny when I drive my 63 my experience is opposite yours, completely. I have a black interior, yet I roll down the windows, open the side vent windows, and open the side vents that allow a lot of cool air to flow and circulate in the cabin, when I stop, yeah it gets a little hot, so did my 68 Buick Grand Sport (no air), but not any worse than the 63. I drive the 63 in Northern Virginia, with our hot temps and heavy humidity, and TRAFFIC, no problems at all.

Rear window, not problem I just tilt my head to one side or the other when looking in the rear view mirror and can see around the spine. What bothers me much more is there is no outside mirror on the right side, and that goes for ALL for models that your, not just the Corvette. So you have to get into the habit of looking to the right rear or over your left should when making a lane change, big deal!

Not a single water leak at all in my Corvette, no problems at all.

Don't understand your first sentance, " I would venture to say that nearly all the present owners never was a 63 Vette owner....and never had first hand knowledge of the 63...." Present owners of what 63s? Yet you say they never where 63 Vette owners, makes no sense, wish you would explain that?

The best thing about the 63, are all the people that gather around it when you pull up to a parking space, people just love this car, and I certainly do not have the same exerperiences as you and I have now owned the car for over 11 years, I also owned a 2002 Convertible that never got the attention the 63 does. Sorry you didn't like you 63, but I love mine...

Last edited by 1KULC7; 07-30-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

When I sold my SWC in 2007, I had a situation where storage was causing me to choose between my 63 and my 58. While I loved my 63, the 58 was the better choice for me because I love to drive my cars, and the convertible simply offered more drivability longer in the year. It did get hot in the 63 in the peak of summer and while I was tempted, I'd never modify one for AC. I never did have problems looking out the back for some reason.

The car was Top Flighted a year later by the new owner and then flipped for a pretty good profit by the buyer. The cars seemed on a steady climb ever since.

So now, I'll buy another one this year or next year or the following year, and I suppose I'll spend 10k more than I wanted to if the prices don't level off. But I'll still be patient.

It would have been nice to keep the other one, but I like different colors anyway.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Ironcross

Yes, this is my first 63, but what's your point? I love it. If something happened to it I'd buy another. No leaks, no heat issues, and no speeding tickets. I had a supercharged Z06 that I managed to get some tickets with, and it wasn't a split window.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've parked beside SWCs on more than one occasion....my '61 will get more attention. Folks will gravitate to the C1 and then inspect the SWC. The C1s are just so different looking they stand out. If you have a C1 you should not trade it for ANY other car.
Fine examples are getting tougher to find. Still - I would love a SWC to park in the garage beside the '61.

I don't know who things the inside of a coupe is cool. I've ridden in a few down this way and they just plain aren't...they can roast you alive...
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
...........It did get hot in the 63 in the peak of summer and while I was tempted, I'd never modify one for AC
I completely agree.

That sentence, is the ONLY reason I don't own a '63 Coupe.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I love this color. Is it a custom blend of Daytona Blue?

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
To me this one Pauly built is the PERFECT mid year coupe....best of both cars.

Well done Paulywannafly!

Last edited by TheSaint; 07-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
DanielJ
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 47 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've parked beside SWCs on more than one occasion....my '61 will get more attention. Folks will gravitate to the C1 and then inspect the SWC. The C1s are just so different looking they stand out. If you have a C1 you should not trade it for ANY other car.
Fine examples are getting tougher to find. Still - I would love a SWC to park in the garage beside the '61.

I don't know who things the inside of a coupe is cool. I've ridden in a few down this way and they just plain aren't...they can roast you alive...
OK, Frankie, this might be what a '63 coupe would look like next to your '61:

Last edited by DanielJ; 02-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I completely agree.

That sentence, is the ONLY reason I don't own a '63 Coupe.

Not sure I understand what you mean, Rich. Are you saying a roadster with no A/C is comfortable in the peak of summer, or that you'd have no problem modifying a vert?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:59 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I'm pretty sure he is saying coupes in the hottest months are far more uncomfortable to drive than roadsters, if both without AC.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 07-30-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Not sure I understand what you mean, Rich. Are you saying a roadster with no A/C is comfortable in the peak of summer, or that you'd have no problem modifying a vert?
I will try to clarify.

I love the one year only details of a '63.
I think the classic lines of a '63 coupe make it the best looking Corvette ever.
I also think it should remain in it's original, unmodified state (my opinion)

The way I use my classic car, I only drive on hot sunny days.
I never drive my car with the top up.
I just view driving a convertible on hot sunny days as a better experience, compared to driving a coupe in the same conditions.

To clarify a little further.......
My reluctance to buy a coupe has nothing to do with price, but rather my preference to drive a convertible.

Last edited by Rich Yanulis; 07-30-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

This thread is straying a little from the OP question, but heck I can be drawn in

At 33 years old, my new '64 coupe is just fine in the Southeast with the windows down and the vents open. My frame of reference is even based on my two Drivers being new German luxury cars with full split AC systems!

Maybe I'm too young but I started to lose my hair at 20, so a coupe is shady and easy to live with. Zero heat complaints. Not to mention the pure elegant profile of a coupe is always (always always) sexy to look at.

Get notified of new replies

To Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
.........the pure elegant profile of a coupe is always (always always) sexy to look at
I agree with that
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I would rather drive a 63 SWC then a Roadster in the summer on hot sunny days. Why you may ask? Well take your roadster and put the top down (that is why the top goes down so you can drive them in the hot sun) and head down the interstate or drive in town or just drive and see how hot you get. The sun will fry your legs, arms, top of your head and your face. You will look like a Tomato if you are out all day driving. Now go drive the same place and time and in the same temp. in a SWC and just roll down the windows and open the side vents. You will not be any hotter driving the SWC and your will not be SUN BURNT. Give me a Midyear Coupe any day over a Mid year Vert. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I agree with that
I should say, rich, I have also appreciated convertible lines as well- the rear deck looks "classic powerboat" to me and always has. I promise not to go any further off-topic!

Quick Reply: Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ?