C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Rad Cap Seal Stuck; Can't Remove Cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C1 Rad Cap Seal Stuck; Can't Remove Cap

You guys have saved me a number of times. Maybe you can do it again.

I searched for threads on this problem here and on the Web but couldn't find any. Here's what's going on:

My '58's rad cap's rubber seal is bonded to the filler neck due to age, I guess. I'm running a little hot and wanted to check/add coolant. This is the first time I've tried to remove the cap. It's a proper cap.

It will pop up when aligned with the slots after turning it counter-clockwise but there's no way I can get it off. I've tried a number of times to carefully pry it up but no go. Suggestions?

As an aside, apparently I don't understand radiator construction. As a workaround, I thought I would try to add a little coolant by removing the top hose and pouring a little into that opening using a funnel and rubber tubing (kind of like a half-*** I.V. setup) but the coolant wouldn't go in and just ran back out.

I thought that since the filler neck entered the rad's top-tank area at the same level as the hose neck, I could see if my running-hot issue was caused by low coolant by bypassing the blocked filler neck to add some.

Why can't you add coolant through the top-hose neck? Am I an idiot? (Don't answer that!).

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to avoid taking my baby to a mechanic just to get that rad cap off.

Dave
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
69z28&ss396
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Try to get the coolant temp up around 120 degrees. Much like you were going to change the oil. That should loosen the rubber cap hopefully. When you do get it off, you can use a little bit of auto grease on the rubber seal when you reinstall to offset this problem in the future. Also take it off from time to time. I check all the fluids in my engine bay everytime I take the Camaro's out!! Good luck
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by DEBrahms
This is the first time I've tried to remove the cap. It's a proper cap.

It will pop up when aligned with the slots after turning it counter-clockwise but there's no way I can get it off. I've tried a number of times to carefully pry it up but no go. Suggestions?
There are TWO loosened positions for the radiator cap - the first one releases pressure but won't allow the cap to be removed, and the SECOND one allows the cap to be removed. Push down harder and turn counter-clockwise.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:24 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

If it is really stuck you may have to put a strap wrench around the ears for additional leverage while being sure to push down on the cap at the same time that you try to turn.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

What JohnZ said. If you get the cap turned to FULL off position, which you can verify by looking underneath at the locking tabs on the cap, then it should be just a matter of putting enough 'hind end' on it to break it loose. A little vaseline or PAM cooking spray will prevent re-occurrence.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Help me! Help me! I fallen and I can't get up!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Bless you, JohnZ. I'll try that in the morning and report what happens.

Yes, MikeM, I do feel like that helpless old fart who fell and can't get up. Live and learn, here on the forum.

Thanks again, John.

Dave
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Help me! Help me! I fallen and I can't get up!

We all have two options,
Get older or NOT!
as we get older we will ALL need help!

LP
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM
DEBrahms
Racer

JohnZ, the cap came right off and I added coolant. Many thanks for your ongoing help and graciousness here on the forum.

Frankie, I lubed the seal and don't anticipate any further problems. Thanks for the tip.

Dave
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There are TWO loosened positions for the radiator cap - the first one releases pressure but won't allow the cap to be removed, and the SECOND one allows the cap to be removed. Push down harder and turn counter-clockwise.
Originally Posted by DEBrahms
JohnZ, the cap came right off and I added coolant. Many thanks for your ongoing help and graciousness here on the forum.

Frankie, I lubed the seal and don't anticipate any further problems. Thanks for the tip.

Dave
My first impression of your OP was that old age and physical disability wasn't the real problem here.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Rad Cap Seal Stuck; Can't Remove Cap

Quick Reply: C1 Rad Cap Seal Stuck; Can't Remove Cap