C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Have you ever felt.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Patience is the Key to success. Driving a C-2 is fun and worth the aggravation. Al W.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Same sentiment, just a different reason. The red thing runs and drives perfectly, but after some minor (ok, well maybe not so minor) mods to my '03 Cobra convertible, an antique big block feels like a 6 cylinder Falcon in comparison. They're great to look at, but they're antiques. You really feel it when you compare it to driving a modern high performance car.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Just remember that for every ounce of pain, you'll have two pounds of gain - in this case pleasure.

There is nothing like enjoying a well running midyear, and the satisfaction of walking up to and driving something you rebuilt yourself is worth every second of cut, sacrifice, bump and bruise.

Keep'n GO!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

hang in there...if it were easy, there would be no pride in the job. At the end of the day, as I remind my wife often, I am lucky and proud to be the keeper of the flame for one single icon of our country...

Aggravations are ALWAYS to be found when you choose to jump into one of these, but at the end of the day...nothing like it.

I was taking my 4yo son to his buddies this morning in the '64, and had a guy in a very fresh late model Ferrari rubberneck ME and my cracking laquer on the highway today. Guess what? For the joy of ownership, I wouldn't trade him.

Keep up the work, walk away when you need a break. Throw a wrench in a safe direction...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

I have days like that. You just have to put the tools down and walk away before you hurt yourself or do more damage. My only problem is I walked away from mine two months ago and haven't touched it since. I'm finding it hard to get back in the garage. Mine is a ongoing project so I haven't even had it on the road yet. I keep saying next year I will be driving it, that was 4 years ago. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Next year I will be driving it.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Just think of how many guys on here wish they were down to only having to solve an alternator and linkage problem! ( Glass half full!)
Old 08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Last summer I got my window moldings back from the polisher and attempted to install them. I got the rear ones on with no problem but the front ones were giving me fits I got the bottom ones on and started the sides. I got so aggravated that I thought I was going to scratch the paint or damage the moldings I had to stop. They still are just the way I left them. The whole outside of the car is done except for the front window moldings. I just moved on to other things. At some point I will either get back to them or when I get it on the road I will take it to a more experience professional old time glass installer.

Last edited by biggd; 08-05-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Pretty normal with an old car, did a brake job last week that I bought at Spring Carlilse, brakes are great now, but Have a U-joint going.

Stay on task, you will get it done.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

....and we will be waiting for you at Carlisle. Dennis
Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by biggd
Last summer I got my window moldings back from the polisher and attempted to install them. I got the rear ones on with no problem but the front ones were giving me fits I got the bottom ones on and started the sides. I got so aggravated that I thought I was going to scratch the paint or damage the moldings I had to stop. They still are just the way I left them. The whole outside of the car is done except for the front window moldings. I just moved on to other things. At some point I will either get back to them or when I get it on the road I will take it to a more experience professional old time glass installer.
What year did you install in the rear also left my molding on front they were to hard to remove .get the old time installer i removed the rear one on the 63 I am dreading the install.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this forum is a form of group therapy. mine went in the garage in January of 2011 for a 6 week project - engine tranny swap. it came out of the garage this weekend with another yet another issue. the folks on this Forum are fantastic when it comes to support and information. hang in there. time heals all wounds
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
I also had more hair when i started restoring this beast...and fewer injuries, Thes just occured on this latest install...

FIRST DAY UNDER CAR

SECOND DAY UNDER CAR

Who can't relate to that...
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Believe it or not, IF you persevere, there will come a day when you can walk out to the garage, slide into the seat of your C1/C2, turn the key, hear the motor roar to life and proceed down the road with complete confidence you'll arrive safely at your destination.

Took me about two years to get to that point in the '61 and now my conflict is NOT driving it all the time! (You'll melt about 1/4 mile from the house without A/C)
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

One day I got so PO'd with my '62 that I parked it at the edge of the lawn next to the road and put a For Sale sign on it. I stood in the garage just looking at it, saying to myself, "I really do hate you, I really do". Then 5 mins later I was still just watching and some guy pulled up and got out of his car and started to look at "MY" car. Suddenly, it dawned on me that I didn't really want to sell it so I ran out and told him it was NOT for sale and I put it away back in the garage.
That was 45 years ago, and it's still in my garage!

Verne
Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by W Guy
One day I got so PO'd with my '62 that I parked it at the edge of the lawn next to the road and put a For Sale sign on it. I stood in the garage just looking at it, saying to myself, "I really do hate you, I really do". Then 5 mins later I was still just watching and some guy pulled up and got out of his car and started to look at "MY" car. Suddenly, it dawned on me that I didn't really want to sell it so I ran out and told him it was NOT for sale and I put it away back in the garage.
That was 45 years ago, and it's still in my garage!

Verne
you shold start a new thread who had there corvette the longest
you got a good chance of winning
Old 08-05-2013, 07:21 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

PA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Just think of how many guys on here wish they were down to only having to solve an alternator and linkage problem! ( Glass half full!)
Yeah I know, and I am very fortunate that I have had the means to do what I am doing. I stop a lot of times and think of the number of folks who would like to do what I am doing but just can't swing it. I am blessed.

8/1 was 16 years since I bought the damn thing. First wife passed but know that I lived up to having it painted red. Dad was very excited when I got the car and would come down on a call when asked. He always used to go to C@C with me and he LOVED going thru the old parts bins. One of the last things he told my Mom before he died was that he guessed he wouldn't see the car finished.

Then I died a few times end of 2011/2012. Goal was to have the car done last year. But we all know THAT story.

This year is another year. It will be at Carlisle! Rough day at work today, but came home and put it up on my blocks. I don't have the stamina I used to have before my heart issue. Tomorrow I will be under the car checking the linkage. I hope to God that's all it is.

The new alternator should be here Wednesday. That is not a big issue to replace it. I just hope the battery isn't fried.

I know I bitch and moan but you guys ARE good therapy for me.

Thanks for the encouragement
Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Linkage is easy if its a hurst shifter put it in netual and put a nail thru the hole in center adjust linkage to trans .
if its stock shifter line up in netual and do same thing . check all springs on end of linkage and nylon bushings in the ends.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you ever felt.....

Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

My 64 was "completed" Thanksgiving 2012 and I am still working out some minor gremlins to make it bullet proof. I too admit that it gets VERY frustrating to "fix" or replace items that were not done right the first time but I look forward to getting them done so that I can enjoy the ride.

Dan
www.vetterodder.com
www.facebook.com/vetterodder
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM
KNIPPS
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I know

exactly how you feel. I wanted to start my car this weekend for the first time in over three years. Put in a gallon of gas in the tank and find a drip....this after taking the cross member down

So I had to get the tank out and never did get the engine started...maybe this week. Not sure what else could go wrong but Murphy's Law is still out there. Keep the faith....Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

I had everything replaced professionally over the last 18 mos and I am stunned at the amount of parts that failed new from the suppliers. We went through multiple clocks, wiper motors, carbs, vacuum switches, fuel sender, speedo still not working after 30 years and a complete trans rebuild. Had it out twice now and still no workie workie. $600 for a radio? Hasn't worked properly yet. Two months on the road and lots of issues still. Going to tackle them in the winter.

Car still looks great. Runs more or less fine. Rides like new.

Quick Reply: Have you ever felt.....