C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Adding power brakes to the '64, I need...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Default Adding power brakes to the '64, I need...?

I've decided after a few weeks of driving and figuring out what I want to do to freshen my '64 non-power brake system to inspect my lines carefully and keep my drums (lots of good opinions on this both sides of the fence, I know). I'm thinking with new cylinders, hoses, and a "lifetime" MC I will forgo splitting the system for a few years.

However, I do think I would enjoy Power Drums. Do I only need to add a Booster to complete this? Is my non-power type 7/8" master cylinder a fit for the booster? Will plumbing vacuum to the booster from the intake be straightforward (I assume so). Any advice is much appreciated before I go ordering parts, as always.

PS I promise I did a little searching before asking!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm in that position myself...........I have the disc brakes for my 64, but a few members said power drums will work as well. So I'lland see what others post. To the top for your thread.................
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I put a booster on my 63. It's a must do if you intend to keep drums and drive it.
It's only about a 2 hour job. The hardest part is moving the Clevis own the brake pedal.
You need to drill holes Under the wiper grill for the booster bracket.
Remove the m/c. Move Clevis on brake pedal to the other position, add the power brake brake light switch tab, bolt it together and go. Don't even need to open or drain brake fluid from the m/c.
Make sure you use the factory vacuum hose location. Or at least make sure there isn't a valve between the booster and vac source
Old 08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Drums seem to work just as we'll but are prone to locking up if not adjusted correctly.
Also, don't bolt it all down until you have the pushrods length adjusted correctly. See the aim for correct pedal heightens adjustment procedure. You can't turn the Clevis at its full extension without pushing the booster away from the firewall. It interferes with the brake pedal.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Thank you for the directions and tips! The forum is a great place indeed with so many helpful folks!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

A booster on drums may over assist on 7/8 master cylinder maybe 8 inch single diapfram booster and 1 inch master maybe better combo.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 PM
erb64
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are you buying the booster from, thinking of doing it too.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding power brakes to the '64, I need...?

Quick Reply: Adding power brakes to the '64, I need...?