C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Parking brake handle issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM
smwilsonmd
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake handle issues

Newbie-- will post pictures, etc. soon. New owner restored "66 'vert.
Parking brake handle keeps coming off. Mine has only a steel pin (no threads) holding it in-- keeps falling out. Should the fastener be threaded instead? If so, and I've ruined the threads by using the pin, what's the solution (rethreading/ same size or larger threaded fastener)?
If a pin is what I'm stuck with (OK, pun intended), how can I get it to stay-- I've tried press-fitting it reasonably tight (channel locks), still falls out. Would loctite (which "color"?) hold it in? I'm taking car to NCRS Flight judging soon.....

Much Obliged
Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

They are called "ROLL PINS"...order a new pin or find a parts dealer in your home town to get one..

you might need one a little bigger beings you put a screw in there...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't like those roll pins at all. On all my cars C-1 & C-2 I drill and tap that hole for an SS Allen screw. It's virtually undetectible, the handle does not wobble and it's easily removed for service. I/M/O, it's the way it should have been made. Pilot Dan
Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM
smwilsonmd
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Pilot Dan--I can't imagine loctite would hold that roll pin in, anyway, due to the torque required to pull the shaft against it's spring. Have you been able to tap/ thread the shaft without removing it from the car?

thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by smwilsonmd
Thanks Pilot Dan--I can't imagine loctite would hold that roll pin in, anyway, due to the torque required to pull the shaft against it's spring. Have you been able to tap/ thread the shaft without removing it from the car?

thanks
Yes, pull it out a bit to give you room to work and just be carefull to make sure you start the tap straight. An 8/32 worked perfectly on one I did where the shaft was stock size. Had to go bigger on another that someone buggered up. Either way, it's a quick and permanent fix and upgrade for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake handle issues

Quick Reply: Parking brake handle issues