C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is there a way to set the toe on a C!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 PM
62gal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a way to set the toe on a C!

Is there a way to set or check the toe on a 62 by a lay person.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM
dhutton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longacre-Aluminum-Toe-In-Plates-Pair-w-Tape-Measure-79500-/380566335386?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item589b856f9a&vxp=mtr
Don
Old 08-24-2013, 12:51 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Toe is pretty easy to set. Check youtube, this is the first one I ran across but there are several videos on using string and it works well.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:57 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

In the above video method, the front edges of the front tires should be "toed in" 1/8 closer than the rear edges, and there is a presumption that the tires do not have any low spots in the sidewall, and that the tires clear the body.

I once made a tool to check toe in from a piece of old bed rail angle iron with a carpenter square at each end. Just get inventive.

Last edited by magicv8; 08-25-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Make a couple of pieces of 1/2 plywood that fit your wheels with holes for bungee cords, bungee the plywood to the wheels across the back. Put a tape measure on the front and back. measure, adjust to what you want, check, repeat if necessary.

Another Method: Paint a white stripe along the center of the tire, scribe a line with a nail held in a vice grip while turning the wheel. measure the front to rear, adjust, you will need assistance for this method.

Last edited by John S 1961; 08-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
Another Method: Paid a white stripe along the center of the tire, scribe a line with a nail held in a vice grip while turning the wheel. measure the front to rear, adjust, you will need assistance for this method.
You need to measure at the hub height both front and rear. You will need some sort of a trammel bar like this to get under the frame.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
62gal
Instructor

Default video

Originally Posted by narlee
Toe is pretty easy to set. Check youtube, this is the first one I ran across but there are several videos on using string and it works well. Front End Alignment Made Easy - YouTube

I've seen this video. Problem is in the video the center of the tires stick out form the body so yes it works for that car. On the c1 body does not. String will hit side of body
Old 08-26-2013, 03:18 PM
62gal
Instructor

Default understand

Originally Posted by John S 1961
Make a couple of pieces of 1/2 plywood that fit your wheels with holes for bungee cords, bungee the plywood to the wheels across the back. Put a tape measure on the front and back. measure, adjust to what you want, check, repeat if necessary.

Another Method: Paid a white stripe along the center of the tire, scribe a line with a nail held in a vice grip while turning the wheel. measure the front to rear, adjust, you will need assistance for this method.

I'm trying to understand about your plywood method. If the body was off the car and engine out there would be no problem. Then I could mark the tires in the center of tread. Measure from tire to tire on the front and measure from tire to tire on the back. I would think the measurement would have to be on the centerline of the tires to be correct, right,
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm not good at explaining things but all you have to do is make sure the string is the same distance form the front and back of the rear wheel when you run your strings. They don't have to touch the tires. This shows you don't need anything special to run your string just so long as it is heavy enough to hold the string. It also shows you don't have to be right on the tire.

Last edited by narlee; 08-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 62gal
I'm trying to understand about your plywood method. If the body was off the car and engine out there would be no problem. Then I could mark the tires in the center of tread. Measure from tire to tire on the front and measure from tire to tire on the back. I would think the measurement would have to be on the centerline of the tires to be correct, right,
The paint stripe with scribed line (jack up the wheel, spin, paint, let dry, spin wheel, scribe line) will get you pretty darn close, my method is to adjust for zero toe (which doesnt really matter much if you cant get to the vertical center of the tire (it helps to clamp the steering wheel, then add a small amount of toe in (maybe a 1/4 turn each tie rod. You really dont need much, its there just to keep the linkage slop in the correct direction. Usually the spec is 1/16-1/8 total toe? This is not really that precise a spec measurement so the accuracy is not that critical.

With the plywood board method you get to cut a board to fit well within your constraints, this just really extends the edge of the rim/tire forward and rearward. this is just an alternate to the steel angle suggestion above. Check out the circle track racers cheapo tools, they get to do this every time they come in.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=152&catid=5

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=12

Toe Plate Method: Toe plates offer fast and easy measurement of the front end alignment. When using toe plates be sure to have the toe plates resting flat on the ground and centered on the tire. You should always be sure to have the toe plates flat against the side wall. Make sure that the plate is up against the side wall evenly on both sides. Air up the tires so that there is not a bulge at the bottom of the tire in the center due to under inflation. Go the extra mile and mark the high spots of the side wall with chalk. Use a tape measure to check the back of the tire and the front between toe plates. The toe plate method should give you a smaller number at the back of the tire if you want to have toe out. Remember that any bent wheels or imperfections in the side wall will affect your settings.

Tire Scribe Method: Start by scribing a line in each front tire. By spinning the tire and scribing a line with a tire scribe you will take out any variables to to bent wheels or side wall wobbles. Measure the front and back of the tire. A smaller number at the back side of the tire will produce toe out.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a way to set the toe on a C!

Quick Reply: Is there a way to set the toe on a C!