C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

hood latch pins alignment info request

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:17 PM
gavanm01
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hood latch pins alignment info request

Can't find it in my tech manuals--I put new hood latch pins on my 59 but the hood keeps popping up (stays hooked but doesn't stay down) as I'm driving the car. What's the trick--move the pins back towards the windshield or toward the car front or is there another adjustment. I put a latch safety wire to pull in case I screw it up too bad but wanted to ask first.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Replacing the 59 male hood side pins alone won't cure your problem. The female hood latches should also be rebuilt (new springs and catches). Moving the pins out of alignment will creat more interference but won't overcome a worn or oval catch on the other side. Pilot Dan
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Dan's right..........

If you want to try a trick, try shimming the female latches with flat washers between the fiberglass firewall and the female latch itself.

Try shimming the bottom bolts out. If that doesn't work, try the top bolts.

Sometimes, you can tilt the female latch, changing the angle, allowing it to hold the pin better.

Chuck
Old 08-25-2013, 01:36 PM
gavanm01
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Dan's right..........

If you want to try a trick, try shimming the female latches with flat washers between the fiberglass firewall and the female latch itself.

Try shimming the bottom bolts out. If that doesn't work, try the top bolts.

Sometimes, you can tilt the female latch, changing the angle, allowing it to hold the pin better.

Chuck
Thanks--I like tricks like this. Am going out to the workbench right now to recruit flat washers. Can't wait.

Get notified of new replies

To hood latch pins alignment info request

Quick Reply: hood latch pins alignment info request